Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,863,318 Views | 38662 Replies | Last: 7 min ago by SpiderDude
proudaggie02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'll keep you guys in mind. I have unopened bottles of 12, 15, and 2-3 of the 10. I could probably be convinced to sell a 10 or 12, but the 15 is my favorite.

Also, I think waiting lists are horrible. I also think drawings/lottos are dumb. Fortunately, most of the stores here operate on "first come, first served", so the key is to call them regularly once the delivery date nears.
ka
It'll be interesting to see how much Pappy gets released since they skipped the spring release of it this year. The demand for it is getting out of hand, but if you have a liquor store that doesn't use a waiting list, you might be able to get more than normal.
FlyFish95
Fall release is usually in November, right?
ka
Word.

http://bourbonr.com/blog/fall-bourbon-releases/

[This message has been edited by ka (edited 10/2/2013 2:46p).]
proudaggie02
AG
Senor Chang,

Yes, I'm in Denver.
joshwayne330
quote:
It'll be interesting to see how much Pappy gets released since they skipped the spring release of it this year. The demand for it is getting out of hand, but if you have a liquor store that doesn't use a waiting list, you might be able to get more than normal.

There will probably just be more of the ORVW 10/107 available. Therefore, people might have an opportunity to obtain a VW product, but don't hold your breath. It will still all be locked up in the managers office for the people on a 600+ name waiting list and the small liquor store owners will continue to gouge. The situation will not get better anytime in the foreseeable future...
coachallout
AG
Got together with a couple of co-workers last night and stopped into the small mom and pop. Selection was not very good so I picked up a bottle of Ridgemont Reserve 1792 I believe. Not bad, was fairly smooth. Not the best but for the price is a decent drink.
proudaggie02
AG
quote:
It will still all be locked up in the managers office for the people on a 600+ name waiting list

I got a PVW 20 last year from a place that did a drawing of the names on a list. The liquor manager said there 12 bottles & about 50 names on the list.

There are at least 5 large liquor stores within 30 minutes of me that announce 2-3 days before the PVW is made available.... they announce either through email to rewards members or by having to call them. My two regular places had at least 40 bottles, plus at least that many bottles of the Weller Antique collection. Both of them opened the doors at 8:00 & arriving by about 7:40 got you a bottle of PVW. I got there about 7:50 at one of the stores & had to "settle" for George T. Stagg.
proudaggie02
AG
coachallout,

If you want a reasonably-priced bourbon that is compared to Van Winkle 12 year, buy the Weller 12 year.
FarmersFightAg
AG
There will hardly be any pappy available this year
joshwayne330
quote:
quote:
It will still all be locked up in the managers office for the people on a 600+ name waiting list

I got a PVW 20 last year from a place that did a drawing of the names on a list. The liquor manager said there 12 bottles & about 50 names on the list.

There are at least 5 large liquor stores within 30 minutes of me that announce 2-3 days before the PVW is made available.... they announce either through email to rewards members or by having to call them. My two regular places had at least 40 bottles, plus at least that many bottles of the Weller Antique collection. Both of them opened the doors at 8:00 & arriving by about 7:40 got you a bottle of PVW. I got there about 7:50 at one of the stores & had to "settle" for George T. Stagg.

Where do you live dude? You have it easy based on what you said above.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Colorado.

And has baby stag hit the shelves yet?
joshwayne330
Stagg, Jr - Yes, it hit Houston a few weeks ago and was still on the shelves as of late last week...
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
^Where at? I had some at the bar, but assumed they would be gone from store shelves.
joshwayne330
quote:
^Where at? I had some at the bar, but assumed they would be gone from store shelves.

Specs.

What did you think about your pour at the bar? How do you compare it to Stagg, Sr? It was exactly what I expected. Hot as hell on the palate but a solid nose that had resemblance to Sr. A touch of water helps Jr out.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Agree about the Jr. Knew it was going to be hot, but it was still rough for the first couple of sits. Ordered it neat and was able to power through without water after I let it settle. It was great.

Never had George T. Stagg unfortunately.
joshwayne330
George T Stagg is a Top 3 pour for me. Worth the price of admission! Just finished an '09 bottle and about to pop a '11.
aggiemike89
AG
Stagg is definitely a top 3 for me too. Working on bottle of 12 right now myself. Stagg Jr is a bit hot but is definitely worth the try.
On another note, I saw the new Parker's Heritage 2013 release today Promise of Hope. Anybody had this yet that can elaborate on it?
Señor Chang
AG
quote:
FarmersFightAg
user level: All-StarAggie posted 11:23a, 10/03/13this user's public profilesend private message to useredit this replyobject to this reply

There will hardly be any pappy available this year

link?
Atty_Ag
Ha! I read this and called Twins in Austin, who has had my name on the list for Stagg Junior when we first learned about it. Fortunately for me, it's there. They just never called me. Rabble Rabble! Guess I know what I'm trying tonight. I have some 2012 Senior, so I can do a side by side.
ka
A buddy in Atlanta told me that they released the BTAC in Georgia today. Anyone seen any in TX?
FlyFish95
Just picked up a bottle of Stag Jr. at the Spec's downtown in Houston. Last bottle.
ka
I bought a few bottles of the PHC 7. Haven't opened it yet. I still recommend it. It is different every year, and it is always good. Very limited release. Plus $20 a bottle goes to ALS research.
FarmersFightAg
AG
I am very familiar with the whiskies available in Texas (the nature of the business I am in). Van Winkle in Texas will be historically low. Expect some availability in Houston, DFW, Austin, and San Antonio. As for anywhere else, it will truly be the luck of the draw. No link for this, just my two cents.

Stagg Jr. still available.

Stagg, Weller Larue, Handy Rye should be available in the next few weeks. I am uncertain of the exact date, but should be in stores soon.

Parkers Heritage 7th edition is phenomenal! I liked it much more than the 6th edition. 48% abv, good dry fruit notes. The oak and vanilla characters combine perfectly. If you find it in a store or bar, definitely pick this one up.

Sazerac Rye 18 will be sparse. Sazerac Rye 6 will be greatly available.
FlyFish95
Know anything about Eagle Rare 17 availability?
ka
Found some Elmer T Lee at a store in Houston today. I know this stuff is prevalent elsewhere, but has anyone else had any from TX?
FlyFish95
There's a liquor store near me in sugar land that has Elmer T Lee. I got a bottle there a few mo the ago. I went by here last week and he still has some.
jkn09
AG
Alright Texags. I'm new to the bourbon/whiskey scene. Help me out with some recommendations of good entry level stuff.

Being a craft beer guy, I don't have much bourbon/whiskey exposure. I've only had Woodford Reserve (bought it on a whim), and maybe I'm just not used to how bourbon should taste, but I thought it was a bit sweet. It was good, but I think I'd like something a little less sugary, if that makes sense.

As always, thanks in advance.
FlyFish95
If by entry level you mean best bang for the buck you cannot go wrong with these:

Buffalo Trace
Larceny
Weller 12 yr
Eagle Rare 10

That Weller 12 is as good as a $200 bottle of Pappy Van Winkle.
jkn09
AG
Cool. Thanks for the quick reply. I'll check those out later this week at the store and see what happens.
FlyFish95
All of those bottles are mid to low $20's and are just as good of better than a lot of stuff in the $35+ range.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
If you don't want a "sugary" bourbon, you might want to avoid the wheated bourbons suggested above. Consider wild turkey like rare breed for the anti sweet bourbon IMO.

[This message has been edited by Ducks4Brkfast (edited 10/7/2013 9:16p).]
Atty_Ag
There are two bottles of Stagg Junior and two of Parker's Heritage seventh edition at the giant Twins super store in Bee Cave if anyone is looking. Have not tried either yet, but I'm looking forward to both.
FlyFish95
I never thought Woodford Reserve was sweet.
jkn09
AG
quote:
I never thought Woodford Reserve was sweet.

That could just be my noob palette.
First Page Last Page
Page 26 of 1105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.