Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,868,327 Views | 38689 Replies | Last: 6 min ago by rca21978
aTm96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dammit had to go back and get a bottle of Eagles Rare after seeing the praises
Falcon85
AG
I have some Rowan's Creek and really like it.
FlyFish95
I bought a bottle of Booker's today. It's very hot, but loaded with flavor.
Mathguy64
AG
For uncut and unfiltered, Stagg is light years ahead of Bookers. Yes, Stagg is in the barrel way more than twice as long and tough to buy but there is not that much price difference. Bookers is really hot, so much so it ruins the flavor for me. I am really looking forward to the Stagg Jr that is coming out. It should have about the same maturation as Bookers and will be a fair comparison.
Quantum ace
AG
From what I hear, Stagg Jr is very hot. I don't find Bookers that hot, so I will probably enjoy it.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Bookers is hot as **** to me. It's one of the very few that I can't drink without at least two cubes.
GregZeppelin
AG
I drink about the first half of a glass of Bookers neat, I love that punch it has straight from the barrel, but about halfway through the heat catches up to me and it gets less enjoyable. That's when I throw in a couple ice cubes, and drink the rest that way.

Big fan of Bookers overall.
mattvswild
AG
Managed to pick up a bottle of the Buffalo Trace Experimental tonight. Good stuff - packs a bit of a punch, but it's a tasty bourbon.
GregZeppelin
AG
Is the BT experimental you bought the rice recipe or the oat recipe?
mattvswild
AG
Neither? It's the wheat 90.
Ducks4brkfast
GregZeppelin
AG
I haven't seen the wheat before, I may need to track some down.
mattvswild
AG
It was a random find. I actually stopped by the store to put my name on the waiting list for Pappy / Sazerac / etc... and the lady said they just received a box of the experimental that day - and by box I mean 3 bottles. So I took it as a sign and bought one.

FWIW, we live in NC so I'm not sure where else they were shipped.
joshwayne330
quote:
It was a random find. I actually stopped by the store to put my name on the waiting list for Pappy / Sazerac / etc... and the lady said they just received a box of the experimental

that day - and by box I mean 3 bottles. So I took it as a sign and bought one.

FWIW, we live in NC so I'm not sure where else they were shipped.

What is listed as the entry proof for your bottle? That is the difference in this new batch of experimental wheaters. I believe they tried out 4 different entry proofs and concluded that the 115 entry proof was the winner. Good find, those were just released this month...
mattvswild
AG
Got the 90 entry proof.
joshwayne330
quote:
Got the 90 entry proof.

Do a side by side with the standard Weller 12 (114 entry proof) and see what you like better. An entry proof of 90 is very low, curious how it compares.
FlyFish95
I have a bottle of Weller 12. Very good flavor. It's a little medicinal and viscous, but it's good for the price.
Mathguy64
AG
I picked up a bottle of BT white dog last night. That is not for the faint of heart.
WorkBoots09
AG
Just a heads up, Groupon has whiskey stones for 10 bucks plus shipping right now. Set of 9.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Picked up a Four Roses Single Barrel selection by Poison Girl. Pretty good.
farmer2010
AG
Whiskey stones don't work very well. I'd rather just drink it room temperature than have to deal with rocks in my glass.
youandwhosearmy
agreed on the stones. I got these sphere ice cube molds as a gift, and they are pretty neat looking and work pretty well if you want something on the rocks. They don't melt as fast as smaller pieces.

On another note, I bought some Evan Williams Single Barrel when I stopped in my local store the other day. I was pleasantly surprised, its great for the price.
farmer2010
AG
quote:
Evan Williams Single Barrel

My go-to "cheap" bourbon
Ag_07
AG
I'm more of a scotch drinker but I got some Woodford Reserve for a gift.

From what I gather it's pretty solid selection but what's the best way to drink this stuff?

FWIW when it comes to scotch I drink it with a dash of water to open it up or neat and sometimes with a pinch of lemon zest.
Womackster
AG
This thread delivers
joshwayne330
quote:

Where did you pick up a full bottle of a bars barrel selection?
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Tony K's.
FlyFish95
quote:
From what I gather it's pretty solid selection but what's the best way to drink this stuff?

FWIW when it comes to scotch I drink it with a dash of water to open it up or neat and sometimes with a pinch of lemon zest.

Well, everyone has their own taste. For me, if it's really good/smooth bourbon I will drink it neat. Larcney is good this way. If it's got some bite, I'll throw a dash of water in it or a splash of sprite.
Quantum ace
AG
quote:

I've been waiting to try this stuff for months. Were there any more bottles on the shelf at Tony Ks?

Not sure how much he has left, but have you tried the Willet barrel selection for Poison Girl? Scott brought a bottle to a tasting, and the sob gave me a couple healthy pours before he told me it was their barrel selection and they were almost out of it. It was like a crack dealer giving someone a free taste, then saying "You like that? Well you can't find it anymore. Have fun chasing that high for the rest of your life."
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Man, no. I don't remember which bar I was at, but the bartender working told me that PG had their own. Never got to try it. I tried this Four Roses at the bar a week ago and they told me they had bottles for sale at Tony K's and I went the next day. There were five or six bottles of the Four Roses and about three bottles of the Angel's Envy blend. They're right at the entrance. About $50 for the Four Roses.
Quantum ace
AG
The PG barrel selection is OESV, which is the same yeast as the standard Single Barrel, but with the lower rye mashbill.

Four Roses has 2 different mashbills and 5 different yeast strains, for 10 separate recipes. Its cool stuff if you are a whiskey nerd.
Hemingway
AG
Not sure I qualify as a bourbon nerd, but seeing as how I love 4 roses single barrel and barrel proof bourbons in general, I rushed to Tony Ks today at lunch. I got the Poison Girl selection - they had quite a few bottles left.

Combine that with last Friday's purchase of Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, and I have to quit buying for a bit.

[This message has been edited by Hemingway (edited 8/22/2013 4:15p).]
AlaskanAg99
AG
Should have gotten the Death Star jumbo ice cube maker:

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Death-Cube-Silicone/dp/B009150GV8/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1377201208&sr=1-1&keywords=death+star+ice+cube

Vader loved Bourbon.
aTm96
AG
Been trying eagle rare and basil Hayden's. must say I like the eagle better. More sweeter and smoother. That being said, BH is some good stuff too
Atty_Ag
Twin Liquors dollar sale PSA:

http://www.twinliquors.com/event/dollar-sale-0
First Page Last Page
Page 24 of 1106

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.