Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,871,673 Views | 38736 Replies | Last: 8 min ago by Aggie Therapist
Robert C. Christian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks, thought that is what it was, but hadn't ever seen one in the wild.
bonfiresmoke
BQRyno said:

FrioAg said:

Very much a newbie bourbon question. What is a "store pick"?
The distilleries select specific barrels/bottles for stores and put a sticker or label on the bottle with that store's name. They're basically the cream of the crop.
I picked up a couple of bottles of Evan Williams Single Barrel in Arkansas that were store picks. They actually go over and select their barrels.
aggiemike89
AG
FrioAg said:

Thanks, thought that is what it was, but hadn't ever seen one in the wild.
Don't know about the Dallas area Costcos but the Houston ones have quite a few of the 1792 store pics on the shelves.
claybot
AG
Well this turned out to be a nice Friday night ... just won a GTS on the megaball!! My first BTAC bottle!!
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
claybot
AG
Gambling at it's finest. Join in the fun!
http://www.bourbonex.com/lotto
Daytona22
AG
I've thrown away so much money on that thing. But to its credit I have won a couple BTAC's. ORVW etc on there. There's a group on Facebook called Megabollz that gets a lot of traffic.
RenoAg
I thought Megabollz valuations get a little excessive. Then I just checked out that bourbonex raffle link. Unreal.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Is it legal to buy from those sites in tx?
RenoAg
Consult your own attorney for legal advice. <whistles while minding my own business and walking away>
Fall92
AG
claybot said:

Gambling at it's finest. Join in the fun!
http://www.bourbonex.com/lotto
Anyone traded on this site?
bonfiresmoke
My first attempt at posting a picture. I hope it works because I made an amazing find in Louisiana this past weekend.

[url=.html][/url]
Daytona22
AG
Really like Willet huh? That's a lot of juice.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Those of you that find this awesome brown water... do you find it on the shelf or ask for it get it from behind the counter/in the back?
bonfiresmoke
This place has on the shelf.
plowboy1065
S
bonfiresmoke said:

My first attempt at posting a picture. I hope it works because I made an amazing find in Louisiana this past weekend.

[url=.html][/url]

Ehh, to each his own
Post removed:
by user
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Anyone here tried jeffersons ocean aged at sea or special reserve?

Stagg jr worth a buy?

Which of the four roses are worth a purchase?
BeardofZeus01
AG
yes ... overpriced IMO, would not buy again
yes ... most bottles have a lot of front end heat but I really enjoy it ... I keep it 3 deep in my bunker (1 open and 2 held back)
I've never found any bottles of the 4R special releases, but I do enjoy the run of the mill $40 single barrel you can pick up easily. I had one pour of Elliott's Select a few months back and was unimpressed for the amount of money it fetches on secondary.
Fall92
AG
Picked up a Knob Creek Single Barrel Spec's store pick today. They also had Baker's on sale for $39. Not much game hunting today.
RenoAg
Yes. Like stated before, overrated. Not bad. Just overpriced and overrated.

I like the Stagg Jr flavor profile. Good value for the buzz. This high proofer seems to hit me harder than others for some reason. If you don't like flamethrower heat to start, you won't like this.

I don't like any of the 4R regular offerings. But I do recommend their barrel strength store pick bottles. 10 combinations of yeast strains. Great value if you can find them. Typically 55-65 bucks. Their annual small batch limited editions are fantastic to taste. Never seen one in the wild. Some might disagree on them being worth the secondary cost though.
Buck Compton
AG
Agree with Reno, with an exception. The Four Roses Single Barrel is quite good.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Agreed on Four Roses single barrel. That's good stuff.

Been a while since I've had much 4R though.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
1) what does it take to get in the Facebook group? I can find some interesting stuff but never find the super rare things. Can get someone a kings ransom of Stagg jr. If interested

2) picked up some Jeffersons reserve specifically for the liquor store chain I was in. I find these store batches to be a nice little twist on the norm... they're some of the best that I find. Nothing else too rare in the store.
plowboy1065
S
Shoot me an email at username @ gmail and I will get you added
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Sent
plowboy1065
S
Nuke LaLoosh said:

Sent

Will get you added Meat
Nuke LaLoosh
John Francis Donaghy
Stagg Jr. Is one of my all time favorites. Be prepared for 130+ proof, but if you like 'em strong Stagg Jr. is one of the best you'll find without a miracle.
BQRyno
AG
RenoAg said:

I like the Stagg Jr flavor profile. Good value for the buzz. This high proofer seems to hit me harder than others for some reason. If you don't like flamethrower heat to start, you won't like this.
When I first tried it, I hadn't heard much about it, and I didn't look at the proof. After 2 drink I was drunk and had no idea why. It hits me harder than most high proofs too. But it sure is tasty.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Thanks guys - guess I'll be back by that shop today.

If any of y'all are in the clear lake area let me know, and I can share anything that I find.
schmellba99
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

Anyone here tried jeffersons ocean aged at sea or special reserve?

Stagg jr worth a buy?

Which of the four roses are worth a purchase?
I'll be the dissenting opinon - I like the Jefferson's Reserve. It's a good pour. A smidge over priced, but I say that about most bourbons these days. Ocean is also a good pour to me - not blow your skirt up and drop your panties good pour, but a good pour with unique flavor. There is a lot of hate for Jefferson's and most of it is simply because he doesn't distill his own juice and it falls into the groupthink mentality.

Never had the Stagg Jr. Always seemed to trade my bottles away and just haven't picked another one up.

Never had a bad Four Roses pour - even the cheap yellow label is not a bad bourbon. Light on body and flavor, but still a hell of a good drink for the money. The single barrels and small batch offerings are all very good, and the LE's are usually top of the line.
schmellba99
AG
I picked up a Spec's store pick of Maker's yesterday - 110.4 proof I believe. Gotta admit, it's pretty good. Not worth $60 good - would like to see the price drop into the mid 40's personally. Granted, I say that about almost every bourbon over $50 though. All in all though, it is a good drink and what Maker's should be IMO. Will likely pick up another to have on the shelf.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
The Jeffersons reserve store pick mentioned above was damn good IMO and I'll be back to buy the other bottle if it still exists...
First Page Last Page
Page 229 of 1107

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.