Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,752,838 Views | 37590 Replies | Last: 13 min ago by betadawg1
Jrod05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
thanks found it.
Farmer1906
AG
I got some Jefferson's Wood Experiment as a gift tonight.

http://jeffersonsbourbon.com/researchanddevelopment.html

Anyone had it before. It seems like a fun chance to taste the difference in what barrels and treatments do to the flavor.
Fall92
AG
Mrs. Fall92 got me a bottle of WhistlePig 15 for V-day. What's even more impressive is she actually checked on this thread for bourbon recs. A keeper for sure and good looking to boot (sorry, but no Rule #1).
Ducks4brkfast
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Who on here recommended she buy a bottle of sourced Canadian whisky?
Fall92
AG
I said she checked, not followed. Truth be told, she was big game hunting and couldn't find PVW, BTAC, etc. Go figure. But I'm certainly not complaining...
Jrod05
AG
I have the WP 10 12 15 I think they are great.
FriedTex
AG
It's the only Rye that I like
texas.aggie.2010
I'm headed to nashville /ky next week. I enjoy willet 2 yr rye; Alberta rye; woodford double oaked; eagle rare; basil haydens; makers overoaked that they let you taste but don't sell/keep at the distellery bc doesn't fit their flavor profile; blantons, haven't had in long time; every now and again very old barton for different flavor profile.

Where should I go? What should I be looking for to buy? Any ky or nashvie liqour stores that are a can't miss?

Plan is tentative, going to willet, makers, possibly 4 roses, corsair in Nashville, barton distellery for very old barton, possibly buffalo trace. Would like to find additional boutiques like willet or inexpensive whiskey bars to try under rated whiskey.

In the past, visited willet, buffalo trace, makers behind scene tour, woodford behind scenes tour.
jh0400
AG
If you have time in Nashville, you should go to Nelson's Green Brier (Belle Meade).
Wheatables02
AG
jh0400 said:

If you have time in Nashville, you should go to Nelson's Green Brier (Belle Meade).
And get a bottle of their 10 year single Barrel Cask Strength as mentioned above somewhere.
the dude10
AG
If you are anywhere close to Louisville I suggest stopping in a liquor store there. Westport whiskey and wine has a tasting room in back and and the owner is eager to sit around talking bourbon if you have time. They have pretty much all the big hitters available and at very reasonable prices. I think I did a Pappy flight for like $30-$35 and everything else is priced $15 and under. Compared to most bars around here their pricing is almost giving it away.

Edit to add that you should definitely pick up some store selections of four roses barrel proof. Most places have them up there and I know liquor barn had a few picks I brought home that were very good.
FriedTex
AG
the dude10 said:

If you are anywhere close to Louisville I suggest stopping in a liquor store there. Westport whiskey and wine has a tasting room in back and and the owner is eager to sit around talking bourbon if you have time. They have pretty much all the big hitters available and at very reasonable prices. I think I did a Pappy flight for like $30-$35 and everything else is priced $15 and under. Compared to most bars around here their pricing is almost giving it away.

Edit to add that you should definitely pick up some store selections of four roses barrel proof. Most places have them up there and I know liquor barn had a few picks I brought home that were very good.

They are actually having a sale on their store picks this week as well - good timing if you can make it
claybot
AG
Anybody seen these around yet? Heard they were supposed to drop this month.

Wheatables02
AG
claybot said:

Anybody seen these around yet? Heard they were supposed to drop this month.

what's the story on these?
Post removed:
by user
claybot
AG
third coast.. said:

looks like some special releases from WT in 375 ML bottles. read one review that basically said worth a try, but wasnt hailing it as the next great bourbon or anything. both were given 3/5
Bingo. That's what I've read too. Not going to kill myself to find them, just wondering if they're out in the world yet.
Buck Compton
AG
Anyone ever had the Knob Creek limited edition 2001? Worth the price?
Wheatables02
AG
Buck Compton said:

Anyone ever had the Knob Creek limited edition 2001? Worth the price?
The reviews state that it's good, however not worth that price. I'm torn because I have an unopened bottle batch 3 and 2001 was the Fall of my Senior year, so reminiscence may force me to keep it instead of selling it at a loss.

The Knob Creek Single Barrel Store picks are where its at. $35-50 and they are great!
Jrod05
AG
I have the knob creek 01 batch 2 won't open it until next time all my buddies are at the ranch we all graduated hs in 01. I've heard it's good but the 100 price I am not too sure
RenoAg
Just opened an older bottle of Weller special reserve. Pure SW juice. First time. Damn this stuff is good. Crazy to think this was just a shelf turd back in the day. I'm afraid I'd have been a drunk if I knew about and had access to this stuff back in the day.
Credible Source
AG
RenoAg said:

Just opened an older bottle of Weller special reserve. Pure SW juice. First time. Damn this stuff is good. Crazy to think this was just a shelf turd back in the day. I'm afraid I'd have been a drunk if I knew about and had access to this stuff back in the day.

I drank it in college by the handle mixed with coke, I had no idea what good Bourbon was or how to enjoy it.
Post removed:
by user
Farmer1906
AG
I picked up a 10 yr Whistlepig single barrel rye Specs pick & 12 yr Whistlepig Old World cask finish Specs pick. Pretty excited about both.
Post removed:
by user
Fall92
AG
I finally got on the Spec's wait list for several bourbons. Curious if anyone has also done this and what the prospects are of actually getting anything?
Credible Source
AG
Fall92 said:

I finally got on the Spec's wait list for several bourbons. Curious if anyone has also done this and what the prospects are of actually getting anything?

I've done it, they called me as promised and gave me chance to buy what they had
Ringo88
AG
Once the current bourbon craze ends in a few years, you're a shoe-in!

Just having fun......bud, with Specs or any other big chain, it's unfortunately going to come down to your annual spend. I have two different friends in Dallas who each spend over $20,000 a year at Specs, and they didn't get everything they wanted this year. Doesn't mean you won't land something tasty, but your place in line will always get trumped by those high dollar customers the company wants to hold onto.
For the first time ever, I hit the Grand Slam of every PVW and BTAC. I doubt it'll ever happen again. Those came from a number of different relationships, and I can't tell you how many dollars spent over the last few years. The store personnel simply don't have the discretion right now to help you out on everything, and the waitlists are more of a queue than anything. Good luck.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Ringo88 said:

Don't hold your breath.
K Bo
K Bo
AG
third coast.. said:

drank some of the GTS and the rutledge pick 4R last night that i picked up from KBO. Delicious.
Wheatables02
AG
So far tonight with a buddy I'm trying to get into whiskey -

Four Roses Gift Shop Rutledge 10 yr 9 mo oeso
SAOS 11 year SB CS 43.1%
New Holland Dragons Milk Bourbon Barrel Aged Stout

Good night already!!! He loved the oeso, but the after heat on the SAOS required him to get ice. Yep, you read that right and there was heat on that proof.
Ringo88
AG
Another great meal tonight at Carl's Tavern in Steamboat Springs. Top notch bourbon stop if you're ever out this way. Owner is a fanatic; they have everything allocated you could imagine. Started with Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye; very pleasing. Not as strong as Sazerac 18, but a very enjoyable pour. Next was 2014 Four Roses SBLE; hot on the front and smooth on the back. Really tasty. Always great to compare the differences in the SBLE releases.
RenoAg
Never understand why the 2014 FRSBLE is looked down on by many and on the cheap side of those annual releases. I think its a great pour.
FlyFish95
Ringo88 said:

Just having fun......bud, with Specs or any other big chain, it's unfortunately going to come down to your annual spend. I have two different friends in Dallas who each spend over $20,000 a year at Specs, and they didn't get everything they wanted this year. Doesn't mean you won't land something tasty, but your place in line will always get trumped by those high dollar customers the company wants to hold onto.
For the first time ever, I hit the Grand Slam of every PVW and BTAC. I doubt it'll ever happen again. Those came from a number of different relationships, and I can't tell you how many dollars spent over the last few years. The store personnel simply don't have the discretion right now to help you out on everything, and the waitlists are more of a queue than anything. Good luck.

$20k? WTF?
First Page Last Page
Page 223 of 1075

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.