Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,865,045 Views | 38666 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by trouble
John Francis Donaghy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
Those numbers really are outrageous.

I spent a couple of years (ending in 2012) assembling my Van Winkle stock. While I enjoy Spec's and Total Wine, they almost completely killed my ability to find this stuff when they moved in and shut down a lot of the little guys. I cultivated relationships with managers all over the metroplex who would call when they found a bottle that wasn't already spoken for.

I have people interested in taking it off my hands from time to time, but I always have the same thought/answer. I don't expect that I will ever see - much less be able to buy - a bottle of it in a retail setting. Which makes me reluctant to part with it.

And to be honest, the rarest were the ones I was least impressed with. The 23 year old was underwhelming - perhaps because I had hyped it up in my mind. The 15 was the best, followed very closely by the Van Winkle Family Reserve (12 yr) - and I still feel like the Old Rip in 107 proof was the best value to price ratio of any whiskey ever made.

Agree 100% about 15 vs. 23. The 23 has never impressed me.
Wheatables02
AG
I went to a Buffalo Trace event at a Goody Goody a couple of months ago where they raffled off two Pappy 23's. They said they were charging close to MSRP for them. The "winners" paid $399 each.
Shaggie 05
AG
Went to that same event at the specs in Dallas and the winners got them for msrp.

It was a very bad weather day and the crowd was small, but I was unfortunately drawn 4th. At least I got a hancock's presidential reserve and a bunch of mini cocktails out of the deal.
Wheatables02
AG
quote:
Went to that same event at the specs in Dallas and the winners got them for msrp.

It was a very bad weather day and the crowd was small, but I was unfortunately drawn 4th. At least I got a hancock's presidential reserve and a bunch of mini cocktails out of the deal.

I don't believe msrp is $400 for a pvw23. It could be but that's nuts. What did they charge you fir Hancocks? I got one in Kansas for $55.
showtime
AG
$399 wouldn't surprise me. When I got my one and only bottle of 23 in 2011, just before things went crazy, it was $299. Even toward the middle of 2012, when things got impossible, you could still find the 15 for $80-$100 and the 20 for $120-$150.
Shaggie 05
AG
It definitely isn't, it is $249, which is what the guy in front of me paid. Been a few months, but pretty sure I paid around $50.

Was a pretty fun event, especially with the small crowd. Talked to the BT rep for a while, and found out then that the Weller 12 spring shipment was held back so they could release a bunch in the fall instead of 2 smaller batches.
John Francis Donaghy
quote:
Talked to the BT rep for a while, and found out then that the Weller 12 spring shipment was held back so they could release a bunch in the fall instead of 2 smaller batches.

Solid recon work!
Ringo88
AG
Parkers 24 yr dropped here in Atlanta. $270.
FlyFish95
I have a can of Coke I'll sell any of you for $80.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
DryFly said:

I have a can of Coke I'll sell any of you for $80.

What's the laser code?
Ringo88
AG
New Coke? Those are ultra rare...for God's sake, don't drink it!
Whoop04
5 years ago Coke was often just sitting on shelves for $1.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Yep. Used to see it all the time and would think to myself no way am I going to pay a dollar for a Coke when I can get a Mr. Pibb, which is made by the same company with the same ingredients, but with more sugar and actually bottled at 240 calories for 60 cents.

Damn if I had know then what I know now. Wish I had a time machine LOL
plowboy1065
S
Keep em coming! This is great
Ezra Brooks
AG
I bought a Pepsi once, after one sip I had to pour the rest down the drain....wasn't even good for mixing.
bigevent99
AG
I'll tell you what, I put an old coke in my barrel. Couldn't wait more than a month, but that was the best coke I've ever had. Wonder what it would have tasted like if I could have left it in there for 6 months.
Wheatables02
AG
I just got back from the store, and they told me all the New Coke was allocated and they wouldn't be getting anymore.
Ezra Brooks
AG
My local Stop N Rob had a special Store Pick Sprite that was outstanding.
AggieFanInSA
For those having trouble finding Coke, I've had success with a recipe I call Cheap Guys Coke. Basically, mix 60% Hill Country Fare Cola with 40% HEB Original Cola. The nose is different, Coke's bubbles definitely tickle more, but taste is equal in my opinion. Can be served neat, but I prefer a cube or two.
plowboy1065
S
Bourbon thread POTD!
tx4guns
AG
If you find dat Crystal Pepsi, better clear the shelf!
FlyFish95
tx4guns said:

If you find dat Crystal Pepsi, better clear the shelf!
Too busy looking for Shasta.
Farmer1906
AG
I have some small batch single barrel select ultra rare corner store choice Dublin Dr Pepper if anyone wants to buy a bottle. I know they're marked up 3000% on the secondary market but I'll sell 1500% + shipping. The Texags special.
Ringo88
AG
The retired Master Bottler recommends breaking the bottles when you're done....nothing worse than counterfeit Dublin Dr. Pepper.
TexasRebel
AG
I still have one left.
gigemJTH12
AG
Never posted on this thread before but...has anyone drank Russel's Reserve Bourbon?? curious what yall's thoughts are.
Wheatables02
AG
Loved the single barrel.
FriedTex
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

Never posted on this thread before but...has anyone drank Russel's Reserve Bourbon?? curious what yall's thoughts are.
Solid pour for the price - If you like WT, you'll like this
Farmer1906
AG
Wheatables02 said:

Loved the single barrel.
Ditto
always gig em
AG
Quote:

I have the Russell's reserve, the rock town, and the rock town apple pie. All 3 are solid. Got em all going thru Arkansas otw to Kentucky.
FriedTex
AG
What the hell is rock town????
K Bo
AG
Ugh, this game. Making the switch from Yellow Rose IPA to EW White and Diet Coke.
plowboy1065
S
I've been on Blantons neat all game
FriedTex
AG
Saison to an Oktoberfest to an IPA

Thinking about which of my better bottles I'm gonna break out in the 4th qt
Shaggie 05
AG
Definitely going with the Pappy 15 my wife got me for my wedding present!!
First Page Last Page
Page 186 of 1105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.