Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,753,781 Views | 37596 Replies | Last: 36 min ago by AgDev01
FriedTex
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Went with Willet Family Estate Bourbon, 11yr 126proof
tx4guns
AG
I went with a late 90s Weller Special Reserve to celebrate. So tasty.
RenoAg
Nice pour of Old Rip Van Winkle for me. I've become more of a fan of this bottle with every pour I've had.
Wheatables02
AG
Got to try my first William Larue Weller pregame and now I'm trying Parker's heritage promise of hope at the republic.
RenoAg
How'd you like that POH? I wasn't impressed with it. But not bad.
Wheatables02
AG
Thought it was okay. William Larue Weller killed it though.
rilloaggie
AG
Guy as specs told me that they are no longer producing WL Weller 12yr. Anyone heard the same?
Farmer1906
AG
rilloaggie said:

Guy as specs told me that they are no longer producing WL Weller 12yr. Anyone heard the same?
Might as well not be. I cannot remember the last time I saw any,
John Francis Donaghy
rilloaggie said:

Well they just redesigned the label a month or so ago, so I'm guessing they intend to comtinue production.
tx4guns
AG
Guy at Specs is wrong. They delayed the Spring shipment, and the Fall shipment will coincide with the allocated stuff. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if W12 is allocated itself.
John Francis Donaghy
Allocating $26 bottles. The whole damn world has gone nuts.

I'm thinking it's more likely they go on shelves with a 1-per-person limit like ETL has been recently.
Mathguy64
AG
Specs can kiss my ass. I went in the other day to browse the shelves because they have a long bourbon shelf. I wasn't trying top chase anything, I went in partly to browse and partly to see if they had any Blantons because I'm out. The labeled space on the shelf was empty, so I asked the guy in the aisle if the had any. "Its in the back reserved for our special customers." They had an open spot with a tag next to the 1792 small batch that was labeled for 1792 barrel proof. I asked if they still had any and "Yes but its in the back reserved for our special customers."

So this non special customer said very loudly and rudely he's hacked at being treated like a second class customer and walked out.
Bmac04
AG
showtime said:

has anyone purchased Van Winkle on the secondary market in the last year or so? I see listings on CraigsList or eBay and they seem outrageous - but I don't know if people are actually paying what's been asked. I am curious because my collection has outgrown the cabinet and I may be selectively curating (selling) some of the Van Winkles.

Would possibly be interested in buying some from you if you are selling.
Señor Chang
AG
I stopped going to Specs about a year ago because of their rude employees. I go to the Twin Liquors superstore on 281 in San Antonio and all the employees there are friendly and knowledgeable. Might pay a little more, but it's worth it to me. They also put almost all their bourbon out on the shelf. Picked up stuff like Jefferson's Presidential Select, Angels Envy Cask Strength, Barterhouse, etc. off the shelf in the past.
Ringo88
AG
Mathguy86,
I feel your pain, and have had the same frustration in years past. That said, supply and demand are creating another side to consider. I've spent more on bourbon the past few years than I care to state. Am I supposed to be okay with losing out on a bottle of William Larue Weller to a guy in a lawn chair camped out RIGHT NOW because he got a hot tip, while I'm going to be home this morning caring for a sick kiddo?

Your answer may be "yes", and that's fine, but I just wanted to offer up another perspective. The stores are sometimes in a no-win situation. I can only hope that one of my guys is looking out for me this morning, because this really is a drop date.
Mathguy64
AG
I completely understand the supply side issue and predict it's only going to get worse. From conversations I had with folks at the distilleries this summer, everyone basically admitted they were starting to open up Chinese markets. That would put a massive dent in already strained supplies.

Having said that, they don't have to treat you like crap. I have probably spent north of $500 at Specs this year alone. I'm in their system with a points card. All he had to say was they were out. Don't trot out this "we save it for special customers" line.
Ringo88
AG
I completely see that and agree. I didn't move from " just another bourbon hunter" to serious customer at my local superstore until I walked in dressed shirt/tie for work, showed the manager my receipts and said I wanted to shop somewhere I was taken seriously. His tone immediately moved to " I want to earn your business" and he produced a bottle of Sazerac 18 from the back.

And you're spot-on about the Pacific market. If they decide they like bourbon as much as vodka or scotch, we are really in trouble.
AlaskanAg99
AG
It's just going to get worse. They're pulling back on the 12 year offerings to let it rest longer to become more premium bottlings. And the market has grown at an incredible rate, but it just takes a long time to increase supply. Even if they doubled capacity today, it'll be 10+ years before you see it on the shelf and by that time demand will have grown to far out stripping supply.

Long gone are the days when I was mad I'd have to go to TWO stores because 1 didn't get all 5 BTAC offerings. Back when you could hunt dusties. Had a lot of good stuff for cheap, PVW15 for $40 was my go to. So all you can do is either pay out the nose, deal with lines and raffles or adjust your tastes. I also hate Spec's with a passion and I'm still looking for ETL!
Brad_97
AG
Alaskan - I've got an extra ETL, 2016, in the DFW area. More looking for a trade for something I don't have than to sell outright. Hit me up if interested. I'm actually in the Hilltop lakes area but get up to Dallas semi-regularly.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Brad_97 said:

Alaskan - I've got an extra ETL, 2016, in the DFW area. More looking for a trade for something I don't have than to sell outright. Hit me up if interested. I'm actually in the Hilltop lakes area but get up to Dallas semi-regularly.

I'm in Houston. What are you looking for and I can keep an eye open.
Post removed:
by user
plowboy1065
S
third coast.. said:

there is still the texags cost mplus shippong group
Just added a new member
FriedTex
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

Brad_97 said:

I have a 2015 ETL I'm willing to trade but will have to be shipped. Always looking for Elijah Craig Barrel Proof
tx4guns
AG
Sounds like a good weekend for me. Seriously, though. That won't even matter to them. Serious wine guys spend that weekly.

mathguy86 said:

I have probably spent north of $500 at Specs this year alone.
Brad_97
AG
Unfortunately I'm not where I can ship easily.

Nothing specific in looking other than those shelf unicorns we all look for. We regard to things actually on shelves (sometimes), probably something SAOS or 4R as don't have any of either yet. Looking for a ER store pick eventually too.

John Francis Donaghy
I have an ECBP I could part with for the right trade. Not very interested in ETL though.
bigevent99
AG
Just got talked into a bottle of rebel yell 10 yr. anyone familiar w it?
Wheatables02
AG
I've been wanting one.
FriedTex
AG
John Francis Donaghy said:

I have an ECBP I could part with for the right trade. Not very interested in ETL though.

Understandable, I drink everything I buy so it's only in opened bottle. If you change your mind or want that plus cash let me know.

Maybe we could work a 3 team deal with the dude that wants ETL - can be like the NBA
Farmer1906
AG
A couple of Blantons at dinner. Mmmm...
John Francis Donaghy
FriedTex said:

Understandable, I drink everything I buy so it's only in opened bottle. If you change your mind or want that plus cash let me know.

Maybe we could work a 3 team deal with the dude that wants ETL - can be like the NBA

You only trade opened bottles?
FriedTex
AG

FriedTex said:

Sorry typo, it's the only unopened bottle I have - my apologies
RenoAg
AlaskanAg99 said:

Brad_97 said:

I'm in Houston too. I'll offer you one of my bottles of ETL out of my bunker for $40. I'm sure I paid more than that but not enough more to matter to me. Probably even have your choice of 2015 or 2016. But not 100% sure on that. I'd have to check to be sure. But for sure I know I'd have one bottle for you from 1 of those 2 years.
RenoAg
FriedTex said:

AlaskanAg99 said:

Brad_97 said:

I have a 2015 ETL I'm willing to trade but will have to be shipped. Always looking for Elijah Craig Barrel Proof

If you are out of ECBP and hankerin for some I'll do you a solid and part with one of mine for $60 + cost of shipping to you. Full disclosure: That's not the super cheap bottle of ECBP I scored. But I paid that for my other 2. I'm not marking up anything here. Recent release bottles is all I have. I think it was 139.4 proof. Will confirm if you are interested.
John Francis Donaghy
FriedTex said:

FriedTex said:

Sorry typo, it's the only unopened bottle I have - my apologies
Ah, that makes a lot more sense. I open pretty much everything too, I just happen to have a few unopened extras in the two-deep right now since my sister cleaned out a nice little honey hole for me a couple months ago. She called me from a dumpy little store in rural Oklahoma somewhere that had 2 ECBP's and 3 Stagg Jr.'s just chillin' on the shelf, all under $50. It was a good day.
First Page Last Page
Page 187 of 1075

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.