Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,849,746 Views | 38514 Replies | Last: 14 min ago by calebbogie
jsn1986
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Has the Four Roses Elliots Select come and gone in Houston? I never heard anything so wondering if I missed the boat.
Post removed:
by user
Wheatables02
AG
keep us updated. will start hunting again when it gets here. i'll do a cost + shipping and bonus for anyone who can grab me one.
Ringo88
AG
We cracked an Elliott's open for the fundraiser in Louisville last Friday. I auctioned the remaining 1/3rd of the bottle for $200.

I ended up with more of them. Didn't someone want to work a trade for a Bookers Rye?
Post removed:
by user
Ringo88
AG
I'm sure you will score a bottle.

I enjoyed a pour of Michter's 20 from 2013 at a store tasting session in Louisville. Now that was some tasty stuff. Without a doubt, old S-W stock. Reminded me of a good batch of Larue or of John E. Fitzgerald from last year. Retailed for $600 when it was released.
Wheatables02
AG
I appreciate you all putting up with me on this thread since about 8 months ago. The bug hit me hard around then. Today I finally obtained a cabinet for my collection and wanted to share it. I think it's pretty good but not great. I thought I had around 60 bottles but it ended up being 94. I placed duplicates in my cold, dark bunker. Thank you all for the constant information on this thread, thoughts, reviews, and the Facebook group.

Wheatables 02

John David on FB group.

plowboy1065
S
Looks good
Post removed:
by user
CrottyKid
AG
Nice. Better selection than some stores. I like that Johnny Drum.
RenoAg
quote:
I'm sure you will score a bottle.

I enjoyed a pour of Michter's 20 from 2013 at a store tasting session in Louisville. Now that was some tasty stuff. Without a doubt, old S-W stock. Reminded me of a good batch of Larue or of John E. Fitzgerald from last year. Retailed for $600 when it was released.

So if I wanted to try SW juice and had an unopened bottle of JEF20 and an old bottle of Old Fitzgerald that is definitely SW juice, which one should I open to try it? I had a pour of 2014pvw23 recently which is supposed to be pure SW juice too. But I have to figure all those years in the barrel definitely makes that one quite different than the other "normal" SW juice.
tx4guns
AG
Which Old Fitz, and what year?
RenoAg
quote:
Which Old Fitz, and what year?

Old Fitzgerald BIB. Bottom of the bottle indicates 1992. Its DSP KY 16.
tx4guns
AG
Given secondary pricing, I'd drink the BIB and sell the JEF20. I mean it's fantastic, but if you can justify drinking a 375ml worth $650, go for it.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
Given secondary pricing, I'd drink the BIB and sell the JEF20. I mean it's fantastic, but if you can justify drinking a 375ml worth $650, go for it.
How can you not?
Ringo88
AG
Ditto.
Open the vintage Old Fitz bottle, and keep it for special friends or special times.

A friend of mine recently traded his JEF20 for a Pappy 23 + a Pappy 15 + $1,000 cash. Give it a few more years after folks have cracked a few more open, and this will be the norm. It's no longer something you drink; it's akin to investment-grade scotch or cognac.

I opened one, and it's very good, oak-forward SW product.
steve00
AG
Congrats on him fleecing somebody I guess.
Mathguy64
AG
In honor of the third shelf down, I just poured 2 fingers of OGD114 that spent an extra 6 weeks or so in a barrel. Proof positive that you don't have to spend big bucks on the top shelf or look to kingdom come to find a damn fine bourbon.
Post removed:
by user
Mathguy64
AG
The first two fingers were followed by a 1 1/2" think HEB Prime 1 NY strip and a baked potato and another 2 fingers. The second pour has reported back that the first pour was doing fine but a bit lonely and has suggested a third pour be sent down to confirm its findings.
tx4guns
AG
Hit an estate sale this morning on a tip from a buddy, and walked out with 4 full decanters from 1983 x 2, 1985, and 1986 at a great price. Poured them into glass bottles, and 3 of the 4 were in awesome shape. One was like chunky latte, so it got a drain pour. Such good whiskey.

RenoAg
quote:
Ditto.
Open the vintage Old Fitz bottle, and keep it for special friends or special times.

A friend of mine recently traded his JEF20 for a Pappy 23 + a Pappy 15 + $1,000 cash. Give it a few more years after folks have cracked a few more open, and this will be the norm. It's no longer something you drink; it's akin to investment-grade scotch or cognac.

I opened one, and it's very good, oak-forward SW product.

Hmmmmm. I was leaning this way anyway. First time I have heard that opinion on JEF20. I just think the box and style of the bottle is very nice. Current secondary on pvw23 is roughly 1800 and it is around 800 for pvw15. So to get those 2 bottles AND 1000 cash on top of that?!???? Insanely lopsided trade.
Ringo88
AG
On any given Sunday, I'd agree with you...

Save for the fact that the man making the trade has invested in collectible scotch and cognac for years. Trades it like fine art. My friend took the deal for every reason you mentioned, but the Pappy was not hard to come by for this guy. Post-trade, he said it was the first investment-grade bourbon that had hit the market. The third-party quote was something like "While they will continue to make Pappy every year, these 11 barrels were something out of a time machine. Every time someone opens theirs, the value on the remainder rises exponentially."

I like the idea of some of my bottles gaining "value" of some sort, but I hate to think about what the market is going to do to the pricing of 10 year + aged bourbon.
SouthTexasAg06
AG
That's awesome. I've got an 84 and and and 85. Pulled the juice out of the 85 (owl) and it's great stuff
Chipotlemonger
AG

Moved to Nashville recently and got some new stock.
Have not had the Hakashu 12 yet, but the Belle Meade I got is superb.

Edit: the Rittenhouse Rye was leftover from before the move!
Ringo88
AG
Chipotlemonger,
Can I safely assume you are already aware that Nelson's Greenbrier distillery, maker of Belle Mead, is located near downtown Nashville? 1414 Clinton St., I believe. Great place to visit, and you can purchase bottles signed by the Nelson brothers. if you try the Sherry finished bourbon, it will likely become one of your new favorites.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Thanks for the knowledge, did not know that!

Will definitely go there.
RenoAg
For any lurking out there I have a suggestion for something to try. Get some OGD that's old National Distillery juice prior to when Jim Beam bought it late 80s. Nothing like today's OGD. Heavy butterscotch note. If you don't like butterscotch, don't bother. Not sure I know of anything like it being produced on today's market. I tried it recently for the first time. Very tasty if that's what you are in the mood for.
tx4guns
AG
The old ND is definitely nostalgic. Only modern whiskey today that might come close is a good store pick OWA. Some of them are buttery.
RenoAg
I have a couple bottles of Bourbon de Luxe from the 80s too. Also ND juice. Very similar flavor profile. Definitely heavy butterscotch. But it has a slight bitterness to it too. Nothing bad. Just slightly different.

I hear its similar for Old Taylor and Old Crow from that era too. Haven't tried them though.
Post removed:
by user
RenoAg
quote:
do you think that lurkers are gonna drop that kind of coin?

Just sharing knowledge. Never know. I would've tried it earlier if anyone had shared that knowledge with me. But you are correct- it ain't cheap. That's why I started with a mini bottle from the 70's of OGD BIB. Yeah it wasn't a lot of juice. But for $50 I got to try it.
tx4guns
AG
I drank a mini of OGD 86 proof from 1975 on my 40th birthday. It was amazingballs. Still have a mini from 1970 of Old Taylor 86 I'm saving for a special occasion.
Post removed:
by user
Ringo88
AG
Hunting season is almost upon us. A couple of interesting tidbits for your planning purposes...
*If you enjoy your annual autumn bottle of Michter's Toasted Bourbon, trade with someone now. They announced its not being released this year.
*Four Roses Small Batch Limited Edition may be dropping early September this year as a surprise over their typical November release. Only 8800 bottles this year vs. 12K+ last year. I can confirm it was being bottled on 7/29.
First Page Last Page
Page 181 of 1101

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.