Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,864,796 Views | 38666 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by trouble
Boats and Hose
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Picked up Eagle Rare and Four Roses Single Barrel yesterday. I am not disappointed. Thank y'all for the recommendations! Cheers!
Wheatables02
AG
I've got an unopened Elmer T Lee if anyone wants it. My cost of 39 + shipping.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
I've got an unopened Elmer T Lee if anyone wants it. My cost of 39 + shipping.

I do!

Where ya at?
Wheatables02
AG
DFW. Pm me?
HouseDivided06
AG
If it falls through I am in and in DFW.
Wheatables02
AG
solid copy. i am awaiting payment from aggie1906 and then it will be sold.
Brad_97
AG
I'd probably trade a ETL depending on what's out there for anyone looking. Current between CS and DFW but in both semi regularly.
Farmer1906
AG
What are everyone's thoughts on Russell's Reserve Small Batch Single Barrel?
tx4guns
AG
It's very good, and RR store picks are even better. Most of them have that peanut butter profile from WT.
Mathguy64
AG
What in the world is a "small batch single barrel"? Besides redundant and a marketing gimmick?
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
What in the world is a "small batch single barrel"? Besides redundant and a marketing gimmick?
I thought the same thing.
schmellba99
AG
quote:
Not redundant, they are two different things.

Small batch is largely marketing, as almost all bourbons and whiskeys are made in batches. As far as I know, there is no definition that delineates "small batch" from any other normal production batch. So in that respect, things like "small batch" and "hand crafted" are really just marketing items.

Single barrel is exactly that - instead of a blend of multiple barrels that you get with your production runs of distill, it is whiskey aged and dumped from a single barrel. Sometimes they have infinitely better flavors and profiles than blended batches, sometimes not. Single barrels are fun, because there usually isn't many bottles that a barrel can produce, and each barrel will have a different flavor profile.
Mathguy64
AG
Yeah. If you label something as "single barrel" saying it's also "small batch" is unnecessary.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
It's very good, and RR store picks are even better. Most of them have that peanut butter profile from WT.
Care to expound?
tx4guns
AG
They show up around the country. It helps to know people. Certain stores are known for picking the best barrels.
schmellba99
AG
quote:
Yeah. If you label something as "single barrel" saying it's also "small batch" is unnecessary.
No it's not. Because they are two completely independent things.

Now, if you wanted to argue that saying "small batch" is unnecessary because there isn't a definition of what exactly a "small batch" is, then you'd have a point.

But single barrel is defined by the fact that the whiskey in that bottle came from one single barrel and one single barrel only, and it has absolutely nothing to do with the size of the particular batch of whiskey made that filled that (and however many other) barrels.
Wheatables02
AG
Speaking of store picks, twin liquors in Plano has a store picked barrel of 1792 small batch. It's picked from a single barrel and pretty good. It's also $21 which is $20 cheaper than 1792 single barrel. Confused yet?
John Francis Donaghy
quote:
quote:
No it's not. Because they are two completely independent things.

Now, if you wanted to argue that saying "small batch" is unnecessary because there isn't a definition of what exactly a "small batch" is, then you'd have a point.

But single barrel is defined by the fact that the whiskey in that bottle came from one single barrel and one single barrel only, and it has absolutely nothing to do with the size of the particular batch of whiskey made that filled that (and however many other) barrels.

Small batch doesnt refer to the size of the batch distilled. It refers to the number of barrels blended together at a time to create a "batch" of bottleable bourbon.

A single barrel is the smallest of small batches. So it doesnt really make sense to stack the terms on top of one another.
Farmer1906
AG
Thank you to wheat. You are a true gentleman.

FriedTex
AG
quote:
Thank you to wheat. You are a true gentleman.

What's happening with this glass? I'm intrigued
Mathguy64
AG
Ice wedge glass. It has a silicone insert that you put in with water to freeze.
Post removed:
by user
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
Ice wedge glass. It has a silicone insert that you put in with water to freeze.

Nailed it

http://m.crateandbarrel.com/whiskey-wedge/s510792?a=1552&gclid=COWyooidlc4CFQeRfgodlugLjQ
Ringo88
AG
I literally just left Nelson's Greenbrier distillery in Nashville three hours ago. The Sherry finish has been one of my favorites since its debut. Picked up two bottles signed by Andy and Charlie for the Friday fundraiser event. Great stuff.

Had the new Cognac finish as well. Unfortunately, underwhelming. I'd try that in a bar first to decide for yourself.
TexasRebel
AG
Couldn't you just tilt the glass?
bigevent99
AG
In Louisville and just had orvw10 to check it off my list. Not really much to write home about. I thought it might be closer to pappy. I guess it's wheated, so There's that
Ringo88
AG
BigEvent, PM me if you'd like to attend the bourbon fundraiser event this evening. Over 50 different selections there, including Pappy 15, 12, ORVW 10, Elliott's, Handy, and other special picks from distillery visits this week. Fred Minnick narrating the tasting flight.
dmart90
AG
PM sent
Wheatables02
AG
Finally took the plunge and bought 4 glencairn glasses. I must say that they are amazing and completely open up the nose of the pour.

Had Stagg Jr and EC12 tonight and I smelled the raisin in the Stagg for the first time. The EC12 was even more glorious than before.

plowboy1065
S
I go back and forth between a glencairn and a brandy snifter
Wheatables02
AG
I'll have to try the snifter too. Anything is better than the standard rocks glass.
plowboy1065
S
Rock glass does nothing for me. To me it's for people who know nothing about bourbon
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
Rock glass does nothing for me. To me it's for people who know nothing about bourbon
Shots fired.
John Francis Donaghy
I have glencairns for when I bust out the good stuff, but I still like the simplicity of a rocks glass for the everyday type stuff.

Long day, dog tired, and just want a glass of palatable bourbon while you watch tv and go to sleep is a perfect time for a rocks (juice) glass from the regular ol' kitchen cabinet.
plowboy1065
S
Got your message and will add you when I log in later
First Page Last Page
Page 180 of 1105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.