Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,855,553 Views | 38571 Replies | Last: 16 min ago by Aggie Therapist
WhiskeyBusiness
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Haven't seen any Old Weller Antique in a long time. SR is readily available here. I did score another 1.75L of Weller 12 at a shop the other day though. Those are just as scarce as OWA.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
I haven't seen 12 in forever. It's a favorite! Were there more?
FlyFish95
The size of this thread is directly related to the lack of bourbon supply out there.
htxag09
AG
Agreed, I got really lucky when I started getting into it and scored a pretty darn good haul. I used to enjoy to continue looking just for the hunt but I'm over it now. I enjoy the stock I have, if I find something I really like I'll buy it on the secondary market (not likely), and other than that have moved on to enjoying and exploring different wine.
No Bat Soup For You
AG
quote:
The size of this thread is directly related to the lack of bourbon supply out there.

When I started following this thread a few years ago it would get a few posts a day and I could go get Weller 12 and Antique just about anywhere.

Now this thread has as many or more replies per day than the Craft Beer thread.
FlyFish95
It's been a long time since I've bought a bottle of bourbon. I just come on here because I like to read what people are saying. I'll never be able to get my hands on anything interesting any more without being ridiculously lucky or giving up a paycheck so I don't even bother. I can't get excited about going to a liquor store and coming home with a bottle of Noah's Mill.

I'm a little excited about the release of Makers 46 cask strength though.
WhiskeyBusiness
AG
quote:

I always buy up whatever WL12 is there when I find it.
FlyFish95
quote:
quote:

Point proven.
Jock 07
AG
Had a pour of George T Stagg for 16 bucks with my steak tonight. Little hot but pretty damn good.
FlyFish95
AggieChemist
AG
It's so bad I get excited to find Very Old Barton. First the super premiums got hard to find. Then the premiums became hit and miss. Then the prices shot up. Now the VGC (very good cheaps) are rare.
youandwhosearmy
It became hard to justify the prices for me, pretty much only time I buy bourbon now is at costco. Fortunately they had a Colonel Taylor BP recently that I still have plenty of.

Here in Washington state, we have a lot of great single malt whisky distilleries thats taken bourbons spot in my cabinet. Hoping the masses flock to gin or fine tequilas soon, they can have those.
aggiemike89
AG
quote:
Had a pour of George T Stagg for 16 bucks with my steak tonight. Little hot but pretty damn good.

Great price for GTS. it's by far my favorite pour. I have a '12 and '13 opened.
schmellba99
AG
quote:
It's so bad I get excited to find Very Old Barton. First the super premiums got hard to find. Then the premiums became hit and miss. Then the prices shot up. Now the VGC (very good cheaps) are rare.

There are still good bourbons that are readily available. At least here anyway, figured there'd be more up in your neck of the woods due to proximity. You just have to get over the fact that you aren't drinking a bourbon aged in a barrel that some guy mushroom stamped at the time that it was put in the rack, or that the wood is just ordinary old white oak or that the mashbill isn't some super awesome secret that is not really a secret formula that has some shark piss added to it or whatever else is used to market much of the bourbon these days.

I've pretty much gotten completely out of the game of hunting anything special these days and have learned to be content with what I have, what I can get when I do go to the store, and playing around with my barrels. Some folks get their rocks of hunting white whales, more power to them. I'm not concerned with how much the bottle I'm drinking costs, whether or not it was made in a defunct distillery, etc. - only that it tastes good.
Wheatables02
AG
What are your thoughts on High West?

Fossil Creek and Goody Goody in Colleyville just got a bunch back in stock. I picked up the Double Rye and Prairie versions but haven't had a chance to try them. There were 3 or 4 other varieties in stock but no MND.

schmellba99
AG
I've not had a bad bottle of High West yet.
Streetfighter 02
AG
If anyone is in the market Bottle Giant south of I-30 on Eastchase Pkwy in Fort Worth had a couple bottles of Angel's Envy Cask for $229 and a bottle of Elijah Craig 18 for a whopping $300. These were there as of last Saturday.
Stan Crowch
AG
I've had High West Boureye...could live a long and happy life without ever drinking it again. Can't speak to their other offerings.
Wheatables02
AG
quote:
If anyone is in the market Bottle Giant south of I-30 on Eastchase Pkwy in Fort Worth had a couple bottles of Angel's Envy Cask for $229 and a bottle of Elijah Craig 18 for a whopping $300. These were there as of last Saturday.

They are all over the map on their prices. They want $99 for ETL kept in their glass case and $70 for Stagg Jr.

However they want only 69 for AE Rye.
Wheatables02
AG
quote:
I've had High West Boureye...could live a long and happy life without ever drinking it again. Can't speak to their other offerings.

Glad I didn't invest in this. They were asking $70
WhiskeyBusiness
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Point proven.

Yeah, because a bottle I've enjoyed for a long time for a cheap price (and was available any day I walked into a liquor store) is now impossible to find on the shelf. I'm not flipping the stuff, or putting it on my shelf to stare at. Believe me the bourbon craze over the past years has been more than frustrating to those who enjoy drinking it, like yourself.
WhiskeyBusiness
AG
quote:

Agree to this. Mid winter nights dram/rendezvous rye is the only exception, and drinkable.
FlyFish95
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Point proven.

Yeah, because a bottle I've enjoyed for a long time for a cheap price (and was available any day I walked into a liquor store) is now impossible to find on the shelf. I'm not flipping the stuff, or putting it on my shelf to stare at. Believe me the bourbon craze over the past years has been more than frustrating to those who enjoy drinking it, like yourself.

Hey bud, I'm not taking a shot at you and I understand why you clear the shelf when you find something you like, but my point still stands. It was a general commentary. 5 years ago no one was clearing shelves of Weller 12. Stores weren't selling Rock Hill Farms for $80 either.
WhiskeyBusiness
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Point proven.

Hey bud, I'm not taking a shot at you and I understand why you clear the shelf when you find something you like, but my point still stands. It was a general commentary. 5 years ago no one was clearing shelves of Weller 12. Stores weren't selling Rock Hill Farms for $80 either.

Yep. It wasn't but a few years ago bottles like Blanton's would just sit there collecting dust. Now (at least in my city) there are giant waiting lists just for Blantons, Elmer T Lee, and bottles I easily picked up anytime I went in after mine ran dry. I share your frustration.
MW03
AG
Same thing's happening with scotch. It's kind of bizarre.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2016/03/07/single-malt-scotch-prices-skyrocketing-as-demand-soars/?intcmp=hpff
SouthTexasAg06
AG
I know, I just bought 3 bottles of Blantons cause it's been 6 months since I've seen one and I have 2 buddies that search like me and we let each other know when we find the hard to acquire stuff. I share the frustration and heck, I had to prove to a guy that I was going to buy other stuff before he would SELL me a bottle of Weller 12. It's crazy out there.
FlyFish95
quote:
Same thing's happening with scotch. It's kind of bizarre.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2016/03/07/single-malt-scotch-prices-skyrocketing-as-demand-soars/?intcmp=hpff

My worst nightmare. So far I haven't noticed too much of an increase here, but I know it's coming as people leave the bourbon game. There's always beer I guess...
J.P. 03
AG
This craze really has made prices insane. You guys remember Black Maple Hill? Found some more of it online...for almost $500 a bottle.

I've got two bottles that I picked up right when it was getting popular, and if anyone is foolish enough to want to pay me anywhere near $500 apiece for them, please PM me immediately. And then take your meds.
Icecream_Ag
S
quote:
This craze really has made prices insane. You guys remember Black Maple Hill? Found some more of it online...for almost $500 a bottle.

I've got two bottles that I picked up right when it was getting popular, and if anyone is foolish enough to want to pay me anywhere near $500 apiece for them, please PM me immediately. And then take your meds.
I have 500 Yen if you'll take that
Wheatables02
AG
Found a Unicorn last night. Michter's 10 Year Rye at Total Wine. The jackass salesman saw me with it and asked "how did that even get on the shelf?"

I quickly paid the $86 and left.
Ringo88
AG
Wheatables02,
I despise when a glorified stock boy takes that attitude that you are somehow just lucky or blessed to have the opportunity to give them money. Same place out here takes the same attitude.
They have a lot of bourbon, but don't really specialize in it, so the store reps get sick of all of the hunters. I understand a little of it, but their attitude runs off big customers, including myself.
FriedTex
AG
quote:
Wheatables02,
I despise when a glorified stock boy takes that attitude that you are somehow just lucky or blessed to have the opportunity to give them money. Same place out here takes the same attitude.
They have a lot of bourbon, but don't really specialize in it, so the store reps get sick of all of the hunters. I understand a little of it, but their attitude runs off big customers, including myself.
On the opposite end of that, I visit a store that has the worst organization of bourbon ive ever seen, but the owner mixes in hard to get items randomly throughout it. Found Mitchners barrel strength (didnt buy) stagg jr, elmer t lee tucked in various nooks and crannies. I asked the manager about it and he said the owner also sticks his pappy in there randomly too. Makes for a fun adventure
FlyFish95
This really isn't very much fun any more.
WhiskeyBusiness
AG
I still have a bottle of the Black maple hill that I saved for whatever reason years ago and could sell it for close to 3-400$. I saw one on a secondary market page sell for that just last night. It made me laugh. I poured out a bottle of BMH a long while back after only a few drinks because its just terrible. Wouldn't even drink it with a coke.
Shaggie 05
AG
Have never tried it, but for some reason have had a bottle in the back of my cabinet for years as well. Almost sold it last year when I saw it hit $250, but figured it would only go up with the combo of 1. The bourbon craze 2. It was even hard to find back then in some areas 3. They don't make it anymore ( I know bmh is still around, but different producer, different product)

Now trying to decide if it its time to sell/trade or wait a bit longer.
First Page Last Page
Page 157 of 1103

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.