Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,938,887 Views | 39432 Replies | Last: 2 min ago by Visor
Post removed:
by user
Ringo88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
G*#%a$n Michter's. So conflicted about that stuff.
FriedTex
AG
About to load my mini barrel again - any suggestions?

Thinking about doing Larceny
bigevent99
AG
Would be interesting to see how eagle rare would do
FlyFish95
quote:
Would be interesting to see how eagle rare would do
I like that idea or EC 12 or Maker CS.
Mathguy64
AG
I stick with cheap stuff. Larceny. BT. FR Yellow Label. Manhattans I mix up with Sazerac or Rittenhouse.
FlyFish95
Larceny is good stuff
Mathguy64
AG
I agree. But it's also about $45 for a 1.75 L handle and it takes to the barrel really well.
Wheatables02
AG
Can the barrel be reused after a fill? If so, do you leave it as is for more flavor, hose it out, or what?
iehly06
AG
I just got a 2L barrel for my anniversary and was curious as well about what did well in it. Was debating on buffalo trace or weller SR.
FriedTex
AG
quote:
Can the barrel be reused after a fill? If so, do you leave it as is for more flavor, hose it out, or what?

Some say you can get 3 years out of a barrel - you can also rechar them, not sure how exactly.

I got a 2L of Heaven Hill BIB almost done and 3L of Poor Mans Pappy
Mathguy64
AG
Barrels with straight bourbon you just reuse. Ive used it 5 times in the last 10 months so far. I've learned that barrels with any sugars added (I like my Manhattan sweet so I add some Agave nectar and use dry vermouth) need to be sterilized between mixes or else the added sugars can make slime mood.

It just occurred to me that in 10 months I have made 6 L of Manhattan and 8 L of straight bourbon with my 2 barrels. So in addition to other random pours I have consumed 10 L so far and and am now on the last 2 L of each. My liver probably didn't need to know that.
MW03
AG
What barrel do you have?
Mathguy64
AG
2 L from Deep South. 2 of them.
John Francis Donaghy
Are deep souths barrel new, or pre used wood?
plowboy1065
S
New
WhiskeyBusiness
AG
Got 1.75 liters of Willet pot still at my local Specs. And acquired another 1L of Weller 12 and a bottle of Blanton's through a trade over the weekend.
schmellba99
AG
quote:

Larceny is good in a barrel. I usually go for about 2-3 months max. I did a 6 month age with EC12 once and would never do that again.

I find the lower proofs tend to have the best enhancement with small barrels over ones that already have a good flavor to start with. I keep looking for a HHBIB to put in a barrel, but haven't been able to find one on the shelf in a while now.
John Francis Donaghy
quote:
quote:

Larceny is good in a barrel. I usually go for about 2-3 months max. I did a 6 month age with EC12 once and would never do that again.

I find the lower proofs tend to have the best enhancement with small barrels over ones that already have a good flavor to start with. I keep looking for a HHBIB to put in a barrel, but haven't been able to find one on the shelf in a while now.

Evan Williams White Label is nearly identical to HHBIB, and much easier to find. Both Heaven hill products, same mashbill, same approximate age, just pulled from different rickhouses.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
Some observations I've made this week while making my rounds through multiple Austin Twin Liquors, Total Wine, and Specs: Weller SR is scarce and Weller Antique is all but gone.
superunknown
AG
Plain ol 90 proof Weller?
Cowboy Curtis
AG
Yep, plain green label. Specs only had the .75l bottles and the 3 other large stores I went to this week are completely sold out.
plowboy1065
S
Pretty abundant in Houston shops I frequent
superunknown
AG
I've only looked in Houston and BCS and haven't had any problems finding Weller SR but Antique has been impossible.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
I assume the hipsters are to blame. There are bars here in Austin that sell Eagle Rare 10 for $12/pour and even Buffalo Trace for $9/pour.
Mathguy64
AG
That's highway robbery and anyone paying those prices deserves to get fleeced.
superunknown
AG
quote:
I assume the hipsters are to blame. There are bars here in Austin that sell Eagle Rare 10 for $12/pour and even Buffalo Trace for $9/pour.

Holy crap....that's awful.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
http://www.freedmensbar.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=52&Itemid=132

For example: Scroll down to their bourbon list
Cowboy Curtis
AG
Disgusting
Mathguy64
AG
quote:
http://www.freedmensbar.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=52&Itemid=132

For example: Scroll down to their bourbon list

Garrison Bros. $18.50. A fool and their money are soon parted.
superunknown
AG
Did I read that right? ORVW for $139 and a Pappy for $299?

Y'all are all welcome to take a pour off my Weller SR for the low, low price of $6.
Post removed:
by user
Daytona22
AG
The crazy thing is that someone will go in and have 3 oz of that ORVW and never realize he could have purchased a full bottle on the secondary market for what he just paid. Unreal....
First Page Last Page
Page 156 of 1127

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.