Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,861,109 Views | 38624 Replies | Last: 30 min ago by Tom Cardy
plowboy1065
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
quote:
MW03, don't know if you're in DFW or not, but I was just in Total Wine in Lewisville today and saw 5+ bottles of AE Rye on the shelf. Can't remember the price, but think it was in the $40's. Happy hunting.

If you find it in the $40's jump on it. It's over $70 where I've seen it in Houston
BeardofZeus01
AG
And it may have been more than the $40's, I paid little attention because I'm not usually a rye guy. Most I've tried have had more spice than I typically like. Is AE different than most other ryes? Most reviews I've read have been good, but I'm still skeptical since I haven't found a rye that I enjoy drinking.

EDIT: I stand very much corrected ... website showed it at $73. Guess I was blinded by hunting other labels. My apologies on the price mix up, but it's definitely there. With a sign that says "1 bottle limit".
Wheatables02
AG
Saw angel envy rye at both total wines in lewisville and Arlington last week
plowboy1065
S
My buddy swears by AE Rye and I'm not kidding when I say he has a bottle of everything
FriedTex
AG
quote:
My buddy swears by AE Rye and I'm not kidding when I say he has a bottle of everything

It's too sweet for my liking.

Anyone had the woodford rye?
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
If you don't believe me, here is the old back of bottle:

And, here is the new back of bottle:

I knew everyone was expecting it, but I didn't know it happened yet. I just bought a bottle last week.
Wheatables02
AG
I'm looking at my ec now. Says small batch on front with no age but the back has the label mentioning 12 years. I bought it two weeks ago.
Beerbelly2002
AG
I remember around the holidays reading on this forum about EC12 going away. I put away in the closet a bottle with the big red 12 on the front label. I will probably use it in a few years to reset my bearings and see if there is a noticeable difference to my untrained palate.

I'm surprised how quickly the 12 disappeared. I originally thought I had a couple years to save a few bottles and didn't realize it would be a matter of months.
Wheatables02
AG
Found Jeffersons aged at sea cask strength at the specs on eastchase in Fort Worth. They wanted $104 for the bottle and I could not justify that.

I bought a handle of larceny for $42 instead. I enjoy that so I know I'll get my money's worth
FlyFish95
quote:
quote:
Jefferson puts out a lot of crap
Except for the 17 which you and I both have a bottle of. That's some SW juice. Have you polished your bottle off yet?
Ha! Well, those 17's and 18's are a different animal. I have 1/2 sip left in that 17.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
quote:
I remember around the holidays reading on this forum about EC12 going away. I put away in the closet a bottle with the big red 12 on the front label. I will probably use it in a few years to reset my bearings and see if there is a noticeable difference to my untrained palate.

I'm surprised how quickly the 12 disappeared. I originally thought I had a couple years to save a few bottles and didn't realize it would be a matter of months.
I can still find plenty of EC12 with age statement on the back, but not on the front. I assume the AS on the back will eventually be phased out? Will people start hoarding this $30 bourbon and resale at $100? This kind of stuff is crazy to me.
Ringo88
AG
Cowboy Curtis,
In short....yes.
Age statements will start falling off of a number of mid-shelf bottles over the coming months. Too much money to be made on 1) selling blended batches for higher volumes and 2) holding 12 yr to make 15-18-23 yr old batches and selling them at a premium.

It will still be good product; I doubt most casual drinkers would be able to tell the difference in a blind test.
Fall92
AG
They have Jefferson's Ocean at the Spec's on Wesleyan in Houston. Also saw some Garrison's at the Spec's on 45 and Louetta in Spring. As an aside, picked up some Cotton Hollow 8 yr for S&G and it's not bad.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
Daytona22
AG
Jefferson's Ocean Cask Strength or just regular ocean?
Cowboy Curtis
AG
FYI Twin Liquors is having their "$1 Sale" (wholesale + $1) this Thurs-Sat. They're not busting out anything special, but there are savings to be had.
HTownAg98
I went to the store on 360 and Bee Caves. Westlake today. There were some nicer bourbons that were gone.
Fall92
AG
Didn't catch. Probably the regular.
jsn1986
AG
One of the Woodlands Specs had the Cask Strength Ocean. They also had a couple bottles of Blantons FWIW.
Farmer1906
AG
Liquor Store near the HEB in Katy (near Katy Mills) had a nice selection.
I picked a bottle of Angel's Envy, but they had Angel's Envy Rye (~$75), EC small batch (12 year on back), Willet, 4 Rose Single Barrel, Booker's (not my favorite, but I know a lot of people like it), and a few more I am not remembering.
LawHall88
AG
On-line Pappy giveaway:

http://www.tipoff.co/landing/pappysweeps?utm_source=Iterable&promo_id=bd0173d8-0b2d-4e02-beaa-c8d116e763f5&utm_campaign=iterable_campaign&utm_medium=email&campaign_id=140

Farmer1906
AG
I gotta stay Angel's Envy is quite good. Never had it until now.
FlyFish95
Meh. To each his own though. I respect that.
'03ag
quote:
Meh. To each his own though. I respect that.
agree. I don't think I finished the bottle I bought to try.
Wheatables02
AG
Anyone tried Barrel Bourbon, any release? Thoughts?

Post removed:
by user
John Francis Donaghy
At those prices I'm perfextly happy with my Evan Williams.
Wheatables02
AG
1 Oz pour?? Omg
Post removed:
by user
Chipotlemonger
AG
Flights are a great way to get a beat on value.
Farmer1906
AG
That cannot be real. Where are you?
Post removed:
by user
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
Oh it's real. It was a place called whiskey house in the gaslamp district of San Diego.
Sorry I wasn't actually questioning you. It is just so unbelievable.

Makes sense. Gaslamp is a few blocks of awesomeness, but it aint cheap. I was there a few years back.
Post removed:
by user
plowboy1065
S
That's more than what I paid for the whole bottle
Post removed:
by user
First Page Last Page
Page 154 of 1104

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.