Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,941,440 Views | 39497 Replies | Last: 3 min ago by Aggie Therapist
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There are other good bourbons besides Wellers 12.
proudaggie02
AG
quote:
I two years ago, I could find Weller 12 everywhere. Now I have to hunt for it, and it's not worth the trouble. Looks like I'm going to be drinking more scotch and Irish Whisky in the meantime.
Stan Crowch
AG
Am I the only one who thinks that Weller 12 is nothing great? I had no urge to drink it when it was widely available and I still don't.
HTownAg98
It's a great value. Or, it was a great value. People started drinking it because it was the same mash bill as Pappy.
BeardofZeus01
AG
Agreed. I'm not a fan of any Weller I've ever tried ... Reserve, Antique 107 and (dare I say) a pour of Pappy 15 from a couple of years ago. I respect the fact that many folks love it and want it, I'm. just glad I don't feel the need to fight that same fight to acquire it.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
Dang. If you can get another one, I'll be coming through Houston next month or will pay for shipping to Dallas. Enjoy! It's supposed to be pretty good.
They have ~5 on the shelf at the Specs in Spring on 45. They also had several of the non cask strength one as well.
MW03
AG
So what are this thread's current recommendations for best (and obtainable) bourbons at various price points?

Under $30?

Under $50?

Under $100?

Right now, I'm having a hard time coming up with a better drinker than Eagle Rare for the price, but I don't taste nearly half as much as some of you guys.
Farmer1906
AG
I agree on Eagle Rare 10. Maybe most don't agree, but I think Wellers Reserve is pretty good. Its not Wellers 12 year, but at least its on most shelves. Small Batch Elijah Craig is pretty common and tasty. It is still a 12 year for now.

All are around $30.
BeardofZeus01
AG
For me and my money:
George Dic kel 12 yr $38 for a handle
George Dic kel Barrel Select $40
Jack Daniels Single Barrel Barrel Strength $58
Four Roses Single Barrel $40
Makers Mark Cask Strength $53
Willet Pot Still $40
and I haven't come across a regularly available bourbon/whiskey thats worth a $100 on the shelf. Most that I like can be had for under $60.
FlyFish95
Regularly available bourbon doesn't cost $100
Stan Crowch
AG
Old Grandad Bonded
FriedTex
AG
For me:

Under 30
Elijah Craig 12yr
Larceny
Eagle Rare

Under 50 or right around:
FR Cast Strength
Noah's Mill (probably my favorite)
ETL
MM cask strength
Bookers
Blantons
Old Scout (store picks only not 10yr)

Under 100:
EC cast strength
Willet Family Estate
Stagg Jr
Post removed:
by user
Mathguy64
AG
I'm perfectly happy with spending $45 on a 1.75 L handle of BT or Larceny or even 4R yellow label and sticking in a barrel for a month.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
nvm. wrong bottle.
John Francis Donaghy
quote:
quote:
Dang. If you can get another one, I'll be coming through Houston next month or will pay for shipping to Dallas. Enjoy! It's supposed to be pretty good.
Check out total wine. $70 for Ocean Aged and there are bottles available in the D/FW area. I would suggest calling ahead to confirm.

They're looking for the ocean aged Cask Strength. Different product, more expensive, harder to find. Very similar labelling though, easy to confuse the two.
HouAgs
quote:
I agree on Eagle Rare 10. Maybe most don't agree, but I think Wellers Reserve is pretty good. Its not Wellers 12 year, but at least its on most shelves. Small Batch Elijah Craig is pretty common and tasty. It is still a 12 year for now.

All are around $30.

Elijah Craig small batch is no longer 12 year.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
quote:

All are around $30.

In the description on the back of the bottle it says 12. It is not longer listed on the front though.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
After further review: I'm a dumbass.
HouAgs
quote:
quote:
quote:

All are around $30.

In the description on the back of the bottle it says 12. It is not longer listed on the front though.

This is incorrect on any new Elijah Craig shipments, starting in Feb. Heaven Hill dropped the 12yr age statement on Elijah Craig small batch.

The barrel proof E.C. will continue to be 12yr, however.
HouAgs
If you don't believe me, here is the old back of bottle:

http://www.fredminnick.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/EC-Back-Label-1-1-407x590.jpeg

And, here is the new back of bottle:

http://www.fredminnick.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/EC-Back-Label-2-407x590.jpeg
Post removed:
by user
HouAgs
quote:
but you can still find plenty of the 12 year out there without the new label.

Correct, until you can't.

Once it's gone, it's gone.

At a Specs I was at 2 days ago, all of the bottles on the shelf were non 12yr.
Post removed:
by user
HouAgs
quote:
damn thats pretty fast. i havent seen a non 12 year yet. i wonder if the bottles with the age statement will be worth anything down the road.

It's not that fast... the word was out about the move to non 12year, over a month ago.
tx4guns
AG
Tried the Jeff Ocean CS Saturday. Meh. Not worth it.
Post removed:
by user
Ducks4brkfast
AG
You drank that but didn't get to the low rye? Bruh.
FlyFish95
Jefferson puts out a lot of crap
MW03
AG
I've been on the hunt for Angel Envy Rye with no success.

I'm starting to think that a good bourbon is one that's on the shelf for drinking. I don't love the hunt like some people.
tx4guns
AG
Got to the low rye last night. Really good.
aggiemike89
AG
quote:
Jefferson puts out a lot of crap
Except for the 17 which you and I both have a bottle of. That's some SW juice. Have you polished your bottle off yet?
Cowboy Curtis
AG
Where are you located? I've seen a few in Austin.
BeardofZeus01
AG
MW03, don't know if you're in DFW or not, but I was just in Total Wine in Lewisville today and saw 5+ bottles of AE Rye on the shelf. Can't remember the price, but think it was in the $40's. Happy hunting.
MW03
AG
Dallas. It was supposed to be on the shelf at the Park Lane store, but no dice.
First Page Last Page
Page 153 of 1129

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.