Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,869,832 Views | 38701 Replies | Last: 11 min ago by Aggie Therapist
GregZeppelin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
I was at a bar in lexington, ky friday night - place had Elijah Craig 21 yo. I asked for a pour and he said it was a 100 bucks

100 bucks? yikes! I settled for Elmer T. Lee for 15
How did you like your trip to the Bluegrass?
plowboy1065
S
I have a bottle of EC12 and find it really acidic. I don't know if I got a bad batch but I pass on it and water doesn't even help
FriedTex
AG
quote:
quote:
I was at a bar in lexington, ky friday night - place had Elijah Craig 21 yo. I asked for a pour and he said it was a 100 bucks

100 bucks? yikes! I settled for Elmer T. Lee for 15
How did you like your trip to the Bluegrass?
One of the things that drew me to bourbon is there is something beautiful about just how long the juice needs to age in order to create something that is exceptional. In an age of the "quick buck" I really enjoyed going through rick houses, looking at barrels that have been there 6 - 23 years. We hit up Wild Turkey, Four Roses, Buffalo Trace and Woodford Reserve. While there are similarities in all of them, it was cool to learn about each distilleries uniqueness. (Except for Wild Turkey)

So we had a great time and I sure appreciated everyone's recommendations. I agree with the recommendation to checkout Westport Whisky and Wine in Louisville, great people with a great selection. They let you have tasting of their barrel select options for .50cents - which is awesome! It saved me 65 bucks on not getting Woodford Reserve Double Oak Single Barrel (which I have never seen before) - for my palate, the more woodford does to their bourbon, the less I like it

Buffalo trace was great just because it is so vast yet they seem to try to keep the "art form" of making bourbon alive. I was surprised that they didnt sell a wider variety of their brands in their gift shop. Im not expecting to find any special releases or anything, but maybe Col. Taylor or Weller 12year - but they kept it pretty restricted to Eagle Rare, Blantons, Buffalo Trace and something else. The bourbon creme was awesome, however.

Four Roses wasnt distilling so we took the History/Tasting tour and basically sat with one of their employees, drank whisky and heard all about the history of the place. Pretty great story that you should check out if you are in the area.

Worst place on the tour was Wild Turkey - not too surprised by this, but it was boring and not worth the time. Definitely get the mass-produced feel that doesnt have the charm of Buffalo Trace, Makers or Four Roses.

Best tour goes to Woodford just because they have taken the time to make it a really nice experience and the surrounding horse farms are really beautiful. So the whole place was just beautiful and relaxing. Only sad part of the tour is she pulled the cask strength of their double oak directly from the barrel (obviously) for us to sniff and then proceeded to pour in the gutter afterwards - shameful!

Here is a picture of the scene of the crime :

We ate great (recommend Momma's Mustard, Pickles and BBQ - amazing smoked chicken wings and beef ribs), had great bourbon - so it was a pretty great 2 day tear though KY

my haul, nothing extraordinary is available at this time but im happy with what I brought home - especially the Four Roses Cask Strength and Angel Envy Rye:

FriedTex
AG
The bar we went to in Lexington - that literally had everything (just pretty overpriced) - Blue Grass Tavern

YouBet
AG
If I were to hypothetically and supposedly and for sh^t eating grins assume I have access to anything Brown Forman owns what should I get?
GregZeppelin
AG
quote:
If I were to hypothetically and supposedly and for sh^t eating grins assume I have access to anything Brown Forman owns what should I get?
Old Forester Birthday Bourbon
YouBet
AG
I have secured that as of this weekend. Anything else?
GregZeppelin
AG
quote:
I have secured that as of this weekend. Anything else?
Another bottle of Old Forester Birthday Bourbon for your good buddy GregZeppelin.
redd38
AG
How much would you pay for a pour of PVW 23yr? I want to know what to reasonably expect.
FriedTex
AG
30-40 bucks
plowboy1065
S
What to expect and what's reasonable are two different things
the dude10
AG
Most bars have it right around $100. A few outliers lower than that but most likely that is the number you are looking at
Mr. McGibblets
AG
quote:
quote:
Old Forester Birthday Bourbon

2013 not the 2014
schmellba99
AG
quote:
Most bars have it right around $100. A few outliers lower than that but most likely that is the number you are looking at

I know there is a market for it, but no way in hell is it A) worth that price for what is likely a 1oz pour or B) would I ever pay that much.

It's just bourbon.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
quote:
quote:

I know there is a market for it, but no way in hell is it A) worth that price for what is likely a 1oz pour or B) would I ever pay that much.

It's just bourbon.
My wife says the same thing to me about $45 bottles of bourbon.
the dude10
AG
I totally agree. I was able to try the 15, 20, and 23 for $42. I can't remember how much was actually in the pour but I know it was a little smaller than the usual 1.5. That was fine for me tho and I can now say I have tried it.
GregZeppelin
AG
quote:
I totally agree. I was able to try the 15, 20, and 23 for $42. I can't remember how much was actually in the pour but I know it was a little smaller than the usual 1.5. That was fine for me tho and I can now say I have tried it.
That's basically what I did, although not all 3 at once. Waited to get pours at places that had fair prices. Dropped probably $100 between the three pours over the course of a year and learned three things:

1) The Pappys are all damn good bourbons.
2) None of them are worth the crazy hassles and price tags that it currently takes to get them. And,
3) I'll take a Stagg over a Pappy every single time.
the dude10
AG
I 100% agree with you on all 3 points. I tried this years stagg at the same time as the pappy and it was noticeably better. The EC21 and stagg were just on a different level
FlyFish95
2014 Stagg is phenomenal
FriedTex
AG
Good article on cask strength bourbon

http://bourbonr.com/blog/proof-obsessed/?utm_source=All&utm_campaign=17058226f0-Roundtable&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_857b214d18-17058226f0-100088513
redd38
AG
O'bannon's has some PVW 15yr, 20yr, & 23yr today.
tx4guns
AG
Prices per pour?
redd38
AG
$14, $25, $35 respectively
plowboy1065
S
Good prices
tx4guns
AG
Road trip!
steve00
AG
quote:
$14, $25, $35 respectively

That is unbelievably reasonable. I wouldn't expect it to last through the night at those prices.
redd38
AG
Yep. You should get there quick if you want some. I would guess the 23yr is gone by now. They just have one bottle of each.
htxag09
AG
Pick me up on the way!
Daytona22
AG
Found some Barterhouse on the shelf that was just delivered yesterday outside of Tyler. Hard to find anywhere around Houston.
aggiemike89
AG
I found a couple of bottles of it on shelf in kerrville back in May.
plowboy1065
S
Popping the seal on a bottle of ETL in honor of today being his birthday
FriedTex
AG
quote:
Popping the seal on a bottle of ETL in honor of today being his birthday

Great stuff. Can never find it anymore, but a great mid proof bourbon
plowboy1065
S
I traded a guy in a bourbon Facebook group a W12 for the ETL. I had some at the Republic in CS a week ago and today was a great occasion to open my bottle
mcp2013
I was able to get my hands on a bottle of Pappy 20 earlier this year, and have been weighing whether to keep or sell. I've decided I'd rather sell to fund some other hobbies. If anyone in Houston is looking for a bottle, shoot me an offer at mcp_2013@outlook.com.
Hub05
AG
Malibu, where around Tyler? I just moved here so I am trying to get a feel for what places stock decent stuff.
First Page Last Page
Page 118 of 1106

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.