Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,834,005 Views | 38370 Replies | Last: 12 min ago by Naveronski
TexasRebel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Make sure to go on the last tour of the day at Wild Turkey. Since it is summer, you will likely just see a lot of cask warehouses. No stills are active in the warmer months because the water isn't cool enough to make the right product.

Wild Turkey will show you empty fermenters and an idle still, but only on the last tour.
Mathguy64
AG
When I went three years ago both Woodford Reserve and MM had batches fermenting and MM had one of their stills pumping out white dog.
TexasRebel
AG
What time of year?
Mathguy64
AG
1st week in August. BT was bottling Blantons.
FriedTex
AG
quote:
When I went three years ago both Woodford Reserve and MM had batches fermenting and MM had one of their stills pumping out white dog.

I went to MM last July (man that place sure is tucked away) and they were fermenting juice and the whole operation

This is great info men! thank you! Still open to any other tips that other posters may have
TexasRebel
AG
Okay, I stand corrected. Some will be operational.
the dude10
AG
After your tour at four roses let your guide know you are interested in purchasing a private select bottle in the gift shop. They let us try like 5 of the different recipes!

If you are wanting to stay near Lexington we went to a bar called Paulie's toasted barrel. They had a great selection at around why you would expect prices. In Frankfort we went to a tiny little bar called moore's point liquor that had pappy and EC 21 for like $20 a pour. It is seriously a tiny little shack but we met some really nice locals there.

I know after my trip I endorsed the heck outta this place, but I have to again say Westport whiskey and wine. It is just outside Louisville so a bit of a trip but well worth it imo. The tasting room is absurd and priced at least half the cost of any other bar we went to. I would definitely stop here and block out a good chunk of time because you will want to try probably ten different drinks. Good luck and have fun!
GregZeppelin
AG
quote:
If you are wanting to stay near Lexington we went to a bar called Paulie's toasted barrel. They had a great selection at around why you would expect prices.
I'll have to check that place out next time I'm up there, it looks pretty nice. When I left Lexington that space was occupied by a Piano Bar called The Penguin that catered heavily to the UK/Transy Greek population.

A bourbon bar with sports on tv is much more my speed.
Whoop04
quote:
that catered heavily to the UK/Transy Greek population.

A bourbon bar with sports on tv is much more my speed.

Hmmm. That's the thing about Internet personalities I guess; I definitely had you pegged for the other way around.
Aggiejue
AG
Mr. Four Roses has retired. The great Jim Rutledge, who easy hooked me with my first tasting of his Single Barrel, bids adieu. Hopefully, he makes a lot of money consulting and helps other distilleries improve their own products. Great run!
http://www.examiner.com/article/kentucky-bourbon-icon-mr-four-roses-jim-rutledge-announces-retirement
Mathguy64
AG
I would love the job of Master Distiller. I hereby offer my services to FR/Kirin.
plowboy1065
S
So is the 2015 batch going to be something to hold onto since Jim will no longer be there?
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Clear the shelves !!!!!!
TexasRebel
AG
Sure, but it won't get bottled for a few years.
plowboy1065
S
That's true
YouBet
AG
Haven't kept up with this thread in a long time. Two things and the first is a blatant humble brag:

1. Mom and Dad were recently in Kentucky and Dad got to talking with Jimmy Russell at Wild Turkey and they traced family to the point they are pretty sure we are related. Dad is checking our family tree which was recently published by a distant cousin. He also got me a signed bottle of single batch from Jimmy. Pretty awesome.

2. I noticed that Garrison Brothers was now $110 a bottle at Total Wine. That is officially retarded.
Quantum ace
AG
That is pretty neat that your parents got a chance to talk with Jimmy, he is an interesting character.

Was the $110 Garrison Brothers in a silver bottle? It was probably the single barrel.
YouBet
AG
Good question. I don't recall if it was silver or not. Wasn't aware of that one so maybe it was.
Jock 07
AG
everyone I've talked to have said that garrison brothers blows
GregZeppelin
AG
quote:
everyone I've talked to have said that garrison brothers blows
I've only had it once, a couple years ago and it wasn't terrible, very oaky, but sometimes I like that. But it sure as hell wasn't a $75 bottle in my opinion.

$25-$30, and I'd keep a bottle on hand for myself, just for a changeup option.

Around $50, and I'd give it to out-of-state friends as gifts when I want to give something "Texasy".

At $75, I'll leave it on the shelf and find something else.

Just my take.
K Bo
AG
Finally grabbed a bottle of Old Grand-Dad Bottled in Bond. I really enjoy the sweet, almost citrus, front, spicy follow, and smokey oaky finish. This has been suggested to me many times as a fantastic value bourbon. I'd have to agree.
Post removed:
by user
West Texan
AG
What are some good Rye recommendations that are fairly cheap? The only time I've ever tried rye was before I was drinking whiskey of any sort besides in coke, so obviously I didn't care for it much at the time. However, I'm always wanting to try new things but I don't want to spend a decent amount on a bottle of something that I might not enjoy.
Whoop04
Sazarac Rye. It holds up to sip and is in the $20-25 range. Bulliet Rye is a popular one, though I personally don't much care for it. It has an off-putting mint flavor that I pick up immediately but haven't ever heard anyone else mention.
YouBet
AG
quote:
Finished off the last of my old forester birthday Bourbon tonight.
Just came home with a bottle. Look forward to trying it.
GregZeppelin
AG
quote:
Sazarac Rye. It holds up to sip and is in the $20-25 range. Bulliet Rye is a popular one, though I personally don't much care for it. It has an off-putting mint flavor that I pick up immediately but haven't ever heard anyone else mention.
I get the mint flavor in Bulleit too.

Sazerac was my rye of choice until I tried Rittenhouse Bottled in Bond. Much much much more flavorful all around than the Sazerac. IMO Rittenhouse Rye is hands down one of the best value whiskeys of any sort on the shelf today. It usually comes in around $24-$28 bottle, and tastes like it should cost double that.
GregZeppelin
AG
Damnit! Now I want a glass of Rittenhouse and I'm all out. And the stupid State of Texas won't let me buy any until Monday.
FriedTex
AG
Just picked up Willet Family Reseve Rye today - I'm not much of a rye drinker, but this was pretty good at 111 proof
HouseDivided06
AG
What did that run you, by the way? Seen that lately and been tempted to snag a bottle but have resisted. I think I've seen it lately for $75-$80 a bottle and don't know if that's a good price or not.
FriedTex
AG
some one with more knowledge should chime in, but I picked it up in Louisville today for 35 bucks. It's the small batch not the cask strength (they had that there for 110 bucks and was 114 proof). I'm curious to know if I got a good deal
jsn1986
AG
quote:
What did that run you, by the way? Seen that lately and been tempted to snag a bottle but have resisted. I think I've seen it lately for $75-$80 a bottle and don't know if that's a good price or not.
You might be talking about the Willett Family Estate 8yr rye that Specs has had on the shelves for quite a while. I've not had it, but that seems to be about the right price range from what I've seen. I'll probably have to drink my sample of WFE 9yr bourbon tonight now...
AggieChemist
AG
Found a bottle of Pappy 20 in town today for $2000. I'll pass, but if anybody on texags wants it, I can facilitate.

I picked up a bottle of the new Elijah Craig "small batch" that appears to be replacing the 12 y/o. It still has a 12 year age statement on the back, but the price went up to $25 from $23 a bottle. Also got a bottle of Old Grandad bottled in bond to try for $21.
YouBet
AG
$2k!? That is ridiculous!
AggieChemist
AG
quote:
$2k!? That is ridiculous!
It's beyond ridiculous. I laughed in the dude's face.
FriedTex
AG
I was at a bar in lexington, ky friday night - place had Elijah Craig 21 yo. I asked for a pour and he said it was a 100 bucks

100 bucks? yikes! I settled for Elmer T. Lee for 15
First Page Last Page
Page 117 of 1097

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.