Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,834,703 Views | 38372 Replies | Last: 56 min ago by lazuras_dc
Ducks4brkfast
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
I was able to get my hands on a bottle of Pappy 20 earlier this year, and have been weighing whether to keep or sell. I've decided I'd rather sell to fund some other hobbies. If anyone in Houston is looking for a bottle, shoot me an offer at mcp_2013@outlook.com.

Pappy!!!!

Did this sell??
plowboy1065
S
I'm afraid to even ask what he wants for the bottle
No Bat Soup For You
AG
quote:

My first born son is due in three weeks. I wonder if he will take a promissory note.
MathNewman06
AG
quote:
Let's just ask what hobbies he's planning on funding with 1 bottle of bourbon. That should give a good indication.

Mr. McGibblets
AG
About to put a 2008 PVW 23yr on the block...leg or arm would suffice....
plowboy1065
S
Just one arm or leg? Heck that ain't a bad price
Post removed:
by user
Quantum ace
AG
Fighting Cock 6 yr is pretty solid stuff. It is Heaven Hill, so pretty similar to Old Ezra 101 7 yr, Heaven Hill BiB 6 yr, and Evan Williams BiB. I did hear that they are dropping the age statement, so who knows if they will maintain the quality.
Mathguy64
AG
In honor of Jr. heading off to college in the morning, I have broken out my '13 Stagg. Neat in a Glencairn. If someone could figure out how to market that nose in an air freshener I would buy every one.
schmellba99
AG
quote:
I drank a bottle of fighting cock 6 year last night. Never heard of it but it was the only thing besides jd they had at the seamans center ha.

Oh actuallythey had an Evan Williams 23 year. Idk about that though
I would have been all over that one.
Post removed:
by user
aggiemike89
AG
$150 is not bad. I visited the Bourbon Heritage Center last year and they had it there but I believe they wanted upwards of $250 for it there. I didn't pull the trigger but opted for the William Heavenhill cask strength and BIB small batch.
CrottyKid
AG
What do you guys think about bourbon barrel coffee? I have a meeting at a coffee shop here in Lexington, Ky tomorrow that specializes in the stuff. I've never had it, but I like bourbon and I like coffee.
BQ78
AG
Don't know about the coffee but I can vouch for the Bourbon Barrel Bacon!
Ringo88
AG
As previously noted by others, the "aged" designations continue to fall away from the labels.

I picked up some Eiljah Craig 12 today, and held the last bottle with the number 12 on it; all the ones behind it had a barrel icon replacing the digits. All of the aged stuff is climbing the shelves into other bottles.
GregZeppelin
AG
quote:
As previously noted by others, the "aged" designations continue to fall away from the labels.

I picked up some Eiljah Craig 12 today, and held the last bottle with the number 12 on it; all the ones behind it had a barrel icon replacing the digits. All of the aged stuff is climbing the shelves into other bottles.

I noticed the new Elijah Craig label recently too. But if you turn the new labelled bottled around, and read the back, it still claims a full 12 year age statement, it's just in finer print. Seems silly to me because you would think the 12 year age statement would be a great selling point, especially in today's market, but they're choosing to hide it in the fine print.

Maybe they're preparing to remove the age statement and start using younger barrels, and they don't want it to be as noticeable of a label change when they do drop the age.
the dude10
AG
quote:

Maybe they're preparing to remove the age statement and start using younger barrels, and they don't want it to be as noticeable of a label change when they do drop the age.

Bingo. This is exactly what I heard is happening.
Ringo88
AG
I was speaking with the foreign-born owner of a large store yesterday. We were lammenting the current bourbon fad crushing lower supplies of older stock barreled when whiskey makers seemingly couldn't give it away in the 80s and 90s. He said all bottom and middle shelf age-stated stuff is either gone or going away very soon, for a long, long time.

He also said we should be much more concerned with this fad/ trend spreading to other foreign markets currently either unopened or disinterested in bourbon. Paraphrasing, he said... "In other far-flung places, scotch and gin still rule in sales; if they want American, they're driving Buicks and drinking Jack Daniels, LOTS of Jack Daniels. Regular mass-market black label is prized by them, while often ignored by us in favor of better aged selections. If those markets ever grow a large taste for the good aged stuff, you can forget about ever paying under $50-100 for a decent bottle from ANY label again. At least for another 20 years while production goes up and demand levels out."

Anyone here have a gimmicky Old Rip VW decanter from the 80s when the Van Winkles couldn't give the stuff away?
aggiemike89
AG
[url=http://imgur.com/XtduqkK][/url]MIL gave me this a few years ago.
plowboy1065
S
Where have I seen this before?
Jock 07
AG
I was just browsing the delta sky club website and saw that their bar menu included Pappy. Don't know what year it is. Will be flying through SEA next month, might have to check it out.
https://www.delta.com/content/dam/delta-www/pdfs/sky-club/dsc-the-bar1.pdf
TexasRebel
AG
I'm flying delta now...
FriedTex
AG
With how sparse bourbon is these days, I feel like I hit the lottery picking up Elemer T Lee, Stagg Jr and rock Hill Farms today

God bless you Buffalo Trace
GregZeppelin
AG
Where did you find the rock hill farms and staff jr?
FriedTex
AG
Indianapolis, so I'm probably no help to you

Big Red Liquors downtown
FriedTex
AG
I will say Rock Hill Farms is one of my favorites
plowboy1065
S
I've seen a few RH's around but the $60 price tag turned me off. I like it but not for that kind of mark up
bigevent99
AG
Taking my 70 year old Dad on the bourbon trail in a few weeks. I've read a lot on Texags and online but thought I could get some input on my proposed itinerary. Any thoughts on where to stay/eat/drink is appreciated. We'll probably be pretty low key, but looking forward to this.

Day 1 - Fly to Louisville
Lousiville Slugger Museum and/or Churchill Downs tour
Eat?

Day 2- Head to lexington
4 Roses
Wild Turkey
Woodford Reserve

Stay in Lexington area
Eat lunch at Staxx BBQ in Frankfort
Eat dinner ???

Day 3 - Drive to Makers area
Makers
Heaven Hill?
Cox's Creek?
Jim Beam?

Stay?
Eat?

Day 4 - Fly out of Louisville
Squeeze in Bulleit?
Is there any tour of Angel's Envy? That's one of my current favorites...

Looking forward to making this a memorable trip wih the old man.

FriedTex
AG
I'd skip Wild Turkey unless your pops really likes it and hit up Buffalo Trace instead

They have special tastings at heaven hill that you can sign up for on their website that you might want to check out.

Don't forget Willet is just north of MM, around Bardstown

I was there last month and we hit up a place called Mommas Mustard Pickles and BBQ - damn good beef ribs (which is rare up here) and the best smoked wings I've ever had

Check out yelp.com for other great restaurants in Louisville and Lexington - lots of good options
CrottyKid
AG
I've been in Lexington for a year now. Look up the Bourbon Trail on their tourism website. They even gove out a passport you can get stamped at all of the stops.

The Louisville Slugger museum and factory is a cool tour. Also, some Ali stuff in Louisville (hometown of Cassius Clay) if your pops is in to boxing.

If either of you are into cars, you can tour the Toyota factory in Georgetown (just north of Lexington). You have to call ahead thougj because it fills up.

I have only been to Woodford Reserve since I've been here, it was pretty awesome.

If you are in Lexington one morning without too much to do, go out to Keeneland Race Track between 7 and 9am to watch morning workouts. It is free and a cool way to relax with a cup of coffee (get the coffee on the way there).
GregZeppelin
AG
Agree with FriedTex about Wild Turkey tour. Very underwhelming.

Definitely add Buffalo Trace to the itinerary, especially if you're going to be in Frankfort anyway. Old distillery with a lot of history and great tour guides. (formerly known as the George T. Stagg distillery)

And enjoy your lunch at Staxx, I used to walk there from my office building across the street (the other office I worked in in Frankfort was on the Buffalo Trace grounds). It's probably not going to blow you away like a competition type bbq joint, but it's good tender meat, with a selection of sauces on the table, and it's every bit as fast and easy as a fast food chain. Perfect for a nice meaty meal without holding you up between tours.
GregZeppelin
AG
Also, I had my first glass of William Larue Weller with dinner tonight (and then my second immediately afterward).

My new second favorite bourbon, right behind Stagg.
Mathguy64
AG
On the extreme other end from WLW and GTS, I just saw an ad for apple flavored Crown Royal. WTF? crown isn't bad enough? They had to flavor it with apple?
FriedTex
AG
I don't care for any of the flavor infused liquor. The Knobb Creek Maple is really bad too
Daytona22
AG
Agreed on the Buffalo Trace. Was my favorite tour. I wasn't real impressed with Heaven Hill. Willet was a good one to go to as well. We didn't end up taking the tour at Woodford, but heard that was a good tour as well. It's a little more commercialized.
First Page Last Page
Page 119 of 1097

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.