Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,853,015 Views | 38543 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by TexAgs1992
sixiron
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The First Choice store by my house in Richmond just stocked up on a bunch of Weller 12 and Antique.

I've been on a rye kick lately though. Bulleit Rye and good ol' Old Overholt.
Mathguy64
AG
Sazerac rye is a great pour. That's been my basic rye mixer for a while.
GregZeppelin
AG
I have a bottle of Bulleitt right now for manhattans and it's pretty good.

Never had Old Overholt. How does it stack up to something like Bulleitt? Or my usual go-to rye, Rittinhouse bib?
sixiron
AG
Nothing wrong with Overholt with a little splash of ginger ale.
'03ag
Rittenhouse was my Manhattan go to but it's gone up 50% in the last year it seems. Is it still a good value? Not so sure. I made Manhattan's this weekend with Bulleit instead and they just weren't the same.
the dude10
AG
I just picked up a bottle of the Willet 2yr rye. It is the first stuff they distilled themselves and I gotta say it's pretty dang good. I am excited to see it progress for the next few years.
GregZeppelin
AG
quote:
Rittenhouse was my Manhattan go to but it's gone up 50% in the last year it seems. Is it still a good value? Not so sure. I made Manhattan's this weekend with Bulleit instead and they just weren't the same.

You in dfw?
Atty_Ag
I concur on chasing bourbon. It's just not something I care to devote the time to doing.

I did go bottle at Garrison in February and again a couple of weeks ago. That is still fun. They are releasing their three year old single barrel, which is really nice. I shot this video while there.

Regardless of some opinions, their stuff is getting better with each release and it is a fun way to spend a couple of days. Having samples right out of the barrel is unique.

'03ag
quote:
quote:

You in dfw?
yeah. Colleyville.
GregZeppelin
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

You in dfw?
yeah. Colleyville.

I figured. Because the only places I know of that jacked up the price of Rittenhouse by 50% are Goody Goody stores, which are only here in dfw. Specs and Total Wine locations still sell it for ~$22. Or at least they did as of a few weeks ago.
Icecream_Ag
S
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

You in dfw?
yeah. Colleyville.

I figured. Because the only places I know of that jacked up the price of Rittenhouse by 50% are Goody Goody stores, which are only here in dfw. Specs and Total Wine locations still sell it for ~$22. Or at least they did as of a few weeks ago.
there is a goody goody a block away from my apartment in Houston. Though haven't checked pricing in a while
GregZeppelin
AG
Really!? I thought they were a local Dallas chain.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Goody Goody moved to Houston because Specs opened in Dallas.
Icecream_Ag
S
Don't know who went first, there is a goody goody on 45 that has been open a few years at least. But can't complain about competition, but can complain that neither goody goody nor specs gets the sought after stuff (by me anyway)
'03ag
Good to know. I will pick it up elsewhere. Fantastic stuff for cocktails. Or by itself If you like it hot
BSD
AG
Gentlemen, I'm not a Bourbon buyer but a buddy in SoCal is asking me if I can source some Weller 12 Year Old Bourbon. Is this hanging around Houston or is it long gone?
Post removed:
by user
Mathguy64
AG
Wife just got me not one but two 2L Deep South barrels for by birthday. Let the games begin!
plowboy1065
S
Pappy heist arrest
el aggie
AG
How long until those recovered bottles get lost in the evidence closet?
Icecream_Ag
S
quote:
How long until those recovered bottles get lost in the evidence closet?
17 hours give or take
TexasRebel
AG
I just came to post this!

Shame on them for kidnapping rare booze!
bonfiresmoke
Conspiracy! Too many good bourbons out there to worry about old Pappy.
AggieChemist
AG
I am in Sierra Leone. The bottle of weller I brought is almost gone. I still have 3.5 weeks in county. Guess it's carlsberg and star beer from here on out. /sadface
Daytona22
AG
Thoughts on the EH Taylor Cured Oak? Spec's downtown put out a case yesterday morning but by the time I got there after work it was all gone. Didn't know if anyone snagged some and had a taste of it yet and if it is worth searching for.
schmellba99
AG
I have heard it is good, but almost everybody is posting that it is nothing over the top special. I would like to pick up a bottle myself, just to give it a shot.
GregZeppelin
AG
I went to the store the other day for a new bottle of Evan Williams White Label, which is my go-to bourbon for making Manhattans and other cocktails. But the only store nearby didn't carry it, so I ended up grabbing a bottle of Old Ezra 7 Year instead. I figured they're both Heaven Hill products, and both 100 proof so it would probably be pretty similar, and only a couple dollars more expensive.

The extra 3 years of aging really make a big difference in the Old Ezra over the EW White! For $22/ 750ml, this 7 year old, 101 proof bourbon is an absolute steal! I will be keeping a bottle of this permanently stocked in the bar from now on.
steve00
AG
quote:
After a month in the barrel, I tasted my Poor Man's Pappy last night. I put it up next to some 12yr Lot B since that is my least favorite of the line.

The Lot B was quite clearly better. The PMP didn't have the distinctive Pappy scent and it was less flavorful and had more alcohol burn on the finish.

I'm going to give it another month, but I am much less optimistic about this experiment now.
After the second month, I tasted my PMP this weekend. It is much better. This time it actually tasted better than the 12yr Lot B, though that is frankly a pretty low bar.

Then I put it up against ORVW 10yr, and it compared favorably. It wasn't better than the 10yr, but it was close. It didn't seem anything like the 15, 21 or 23.

Overall, it was an interesting experiment that produced a very drinkable bourbon. Since I don't have easy access Weller 12yr, it took 2 months, my barrel is now partially used up, and I lost about 1/3 of the bourbon during the process, I probably won't do it again. I can overpay for ORVW10yr and get a better product that ends up costing about the same amount when considering all the hidden costs of PMP.
jsn1986
AG
Where is this goody goody you speak of? Need more stores in my life and hoping this one is closer to me. FWIW the Goody Goody off hwy6 and 529 says they have Elmer T Lee if anyone is interested - a little too out of the way for me.
plowboy1065
S
Hmm I'm going to have to swing by there tomorrow. Never had Elmer. How is it?
jsn1986
AG
Overall I think it's a very decent bourbon - more than worth the typical <$35 price tag. Lower proof than most single barrel offerings, but all around pretty darn good. Idk what they were asking at the store - was just told over the phone.
Geriatric Punk
AG
I heard a rumor that Total Wine might have some Pappy 10 and 12 in Houston. Can anyone confirm that? My friend's wife is trying to get him some for his birthday. I tried to explain to her what she is getting into. If TW isn't the spot, does anyone know where she might find some in Houston?
tx4guns
AG
No way Total Wine has any. My shelf has some.
GregZeppelin
AG
quote:
I heard a rumor that Total Wine might have some Pappy 10 and 12 in Houston. Can anyone confirm that? My friend's wife is trying to get him some for his birthday. I tried to explain to her what she is getting into. If TW isn't the spot, does anyone know where she might find some in Houston?

Pappy comes out in November and is usually spoken for by the time it reaches the store, or is auctioned off or sold within a day or so. If any store still has any for sale it will be because their price gouging so egregiously that everyone else's price gouging looks reasonable. And most of those have probably sold by now even at a 10x+ markup.

Your friend's best bet is to get on a bunch of stores lists now and hope for a call in November.
tx4guns
AG
Not to mention, we don't have a Total Wine in Houston. That would have been fun watching you search for those bottles!
First Page Last Page
Page 112 of 1102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.