Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,717,660 Views | 62712 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by SoTxAg
corndog04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Went to a new bottle shop/growler station in Webster today. Really cool little place that you can sit down and have a beer and get a growler or grab some bottles to go. His prices are comparible to HEB and specs.
http://www.beerslookingatyou.com

Cool place but man growler prices are way high in that area. Are there any places in Houston to get them cheaper or is that the norm?

I'm used to Portland where $13-$15 a growler for a typical craft brew is the norm. Everything I've seen in my little bubble around clear lake seems to average $5+ more than that.
Represent830
AG
This Even More Jeppe is fire.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Hopefully it's still around next Saturday but I'm not very hopeful.
maca1028
This was the first time in a while I've bought a growler. Bars and restaurants might mark it up a little bit. Whole Foods, HEB bunker hill, and other grocers might be a little cheaper.
62strat
AG
quote:

I'm used to Portland where $13-$15 a growler for a typical craft brew is the norm. Everything I've seen in my little bubble around clear lake seems to average $5+ more than that.

Here in south Denver most regular beer growlers average $15-$18

But one place, a chain called rock bottom, there's are like $10. A 5 gal keg is like $40.
Represent830
AG
quote:
Hopefully it's still around next Saturday but I'm not very hopeful.

I had to go back to grab Bmac's magnum and talked to the guy there and said they didn't sell out. You might get one.
Hudson2508
AG
I see that Brash Cortado got canned, is it going to see distribution? Would love to try this if anyone in Houston needs something from the Austin area.
jh0400
AG
I'm going to try to go by there on Saturday. If I do and they have cans I'll grab you some.
Hudson2508
AG
Awesome. PM me this weekend if you grab some. I can throw cash your way or send you some Austin goodies. JK or more Blue Owl.
AggieStout
AG
Had some of that blue owl professor black. Pretty nice beer. good change of flavor from all the barrel aged stuff i have
maca1028
Has anyone heard anything about BBH cherry lately?
Scriffer
AG
It's happening!!

Thanks Colorado! This is incredible.
dave99ag
AG
Did Juicy Bits ever make its way to College Station? I think I missed out on its yummy goodness.
La Fours
AG
I was going to reply to his offer but was too late. The crowlers had been claimed by the time I saw it.
Jock 07
AG
quote:
It's happening!!

Thanks Colorado! This is incredible.

10 days? That's a drain poor
Jock 07
AG
But in all seriousness, I drank my last one out of a plastic cup on the boat yesterday. Gauche I know, but I'm quite sad now that I don't have anymore.
docaggie
AG
Almanac Vanilla Cherry sour tonight.
Stressin' the salivary glands with the sour, but it's awfully nice.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
corndog04
AG
Had an awesome trip up last weekend to Portland. Most importantly, I finally sold my damn house. By fate this happened to coincide with Oregon Brewer's Festival week (although I probably would have made the extra trip anyway). Even better, my wife let me make a guy's trip out of it.

Sampled 27 beers Wednesday night and Thursday at the festival. For the most part there wasn't anything that blew me away from the US breweries, but also nothing that was a drain pour (although the pesto beer was close). I'm a little bit burned out on Gose and Berlinerweiss, and unfortunately it seemed like about half the beers were one of those styles and I wound up passing on some favorite breweries of mine. Saisons were also huge this year and I did try (and like) a good number of them.

My favorite thing about the OBF in recent years though has been their involvement with international microbreweries that I'll probably never get a chance to try otherwise. Knowing that it is maybe their only chance to showcase their craft to US folks as well these guys typically bring their A game. Last year they had a handful of Kiwi breweries come up, the year before they themed some Dutch breweries. This year they had a mix with Dutch, Japanese, Belgian, Chinese, and German breweries. A good chunk of my samples were from the international tent and everything was pretty awesome.

Friday was mostly dealing with house stuff and hitting up a few of my old watering holes.

Saturday we hit up Hair of the Dog and got to try some more beers from a visiting Japanese brewery and Dutch brewery. Really liked all six that we tried but the three from de Molen were all stick-your-****-in-it good. Looked like they were working on a collaboration beer too between all three breweries so it will be cool to see what they came up with.

Some 2008 Matt for dessert.

Saturday night we went to the release party for Breakside's new "B-sides" series. They had 8ish new barrel-aged beers. I enjoyed them, but not enough to spend loads of money there. Bought one bottle of "Next Thursday" which I thought to be the best of the bunch.

Back home on Sunday but not before picking up a few more treats. I'm on an IPA kick again and was ecstatic with the haul of imperials that I got. The Sticky Hands was the only new one of these for me and it was incredible. Probably the best IPA available in a multi-pack that I've had. Disclaimer though that I still haven't had any Alchemist beers - If anyone has an extra Heady Topper I'd love to make a trade Also lucked out that my growler spot had both Boneyard imperials available.

Edit: A couple of other cool things. Had Prarie Bomb on tap at a bar Wednesday night and saw some bottles around town as well. Also saw a decent amount of JK bottles at Belmont Station. I'd never seen any of those breweries in Portland before and it was neat seeing them expand distribution.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Classic

Represent830
AG
Great post corn. Sounds like you had a great time. I'll be in Portland for the half marathon in October so I'm definitely looking forward to that.
La Fours
AG
Anyone heard from CollinAB lately? He's up in Portland or Seattle right?
Chipotlemonger
AG
I have not seen him much on Untapp'd now that I think about it.

Edit: NVM. Dude posted a beer no less than 17 hours ago.
Jock 07
AG
Just stumbled upon these in Hayden idaho.

maca1028
Chipotlemonger
AG
Blue parachute for you!
Two Down
AG
Nice little work share this evening.

Not pictured was Rare Barrel No Salt
jah003
S

I may head out this weekend just to get that glass... Beer sounds pretty good as well.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Like the sound of the beer, but I need that glass. Luckily we're headed that way this weekend.
Represent830
AG
Yeah, if you do I might need you to pick me up a glass and a beer if you don't mind pretty please.
Kyle98
AG
So, I'm going to Boulder at the end of September for work. Not sure where I'm staying yet, but I'll be working at the IBM facility off of 119 NE of Boulder. I'll probably only have one night where I can get out, since I'm doing a 40-hour DR test, then flying home. Where should I try to go that one night (Thursday)?
Inspector Spacetime
AG
Sometimes an uber-corporate bar will surprise you. Stopped into Yard House today in City Centre Houston, and after dropping off Karbach coasters and such, I noticed Stickee Monkee on one of their few rotating taps. Seeing as Staycation costs 7.50 a pint here I was assuming a FW of that calibre would run me about $20/snifter.

Nope, 8.50! What a steal.
dave99ag
AG
quote:
...since I'm doing a 40-hour DR test...
big-ag
AG
My two favorite places were Avery Brewery and Backcountry Pizza and Tap House.

Backcountry had a nice taplist including Blind Pig.
Two Down
AG
quote:
My two favorite places were Avery Brewery and Backcountry Pizza and Tap House.

Backcountry had a nice taplist including Blind Pig.
I would second both of these recs.

Avery was a really cool place to visit and had some really interesting variants on tap when I was there.

Backcountry had some really great pizza and great tap list / reserve bottle list.
Kyle98
AG
Sweet, thanks guys.
First Page Last Page
Page 984 of 1792

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.