Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,674,259 Views | 62645 Replies | Last: 15 min ago by FancyKetchup14
MathNewman06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
The wife, who doesn't drink and knows nothing about beer other than what she's tolerated of my ramblings about it, decided to give me one beer per day in June until my birthday on Sunday. With the help of the folks at Spec's beer dept., I'd say she's doing alright:

Beer-thday beers:
MathNewman06
AG
quote:
The wife, who doesn't drink and knows nothing about beer other than what she's tolerated of my ramblings about it, decided to give me one beer per day in June until my birthday on Sunday. With the help of the folks at Spec's beer dept., I'd say she's doing alright:

Beer-thday beers:
MW13
AG
quote:
quote:

moving on to schneider weisse aventinus eisbock.

If you don't know the story behind the name: obviously rooted in Germany, the act of freezing and removing some of the ice formed (which is the water portion, alcohol freezes at lower temps) it concentrates the liquid, raising the abv, is called freeze distillation. So Germans did this to Vicks it doppelbocks and called them 'ice bocks'.

My uncle has done this with homebrew doppelbocks with great results. He can remove 25% of the volume or so in the form of ice, really boosting the abv. Then let age some more. I'm talking ward winning eisbocks!

I had never heard of these till I had one about a month ago from Franconia that checked in at 22%! It was surprisingly very good and and not overpowering.
jah003
S
Hey Scriffer... Dave has your beers. I told him not to drink them, but I can't promise anything.
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
quote:

moving on to schneider weisse aventinus eisbock.

This is great.
dave99ag
AG
quote:
Hey Scriffer... Dave has your beers. I told him not to drink them, but I can't promise anything.

That's correct. I believe the wife might hold them ransom.
docaggie
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
I had never heard of these till I had one about a month ago from Franconia that checked in at 22%! It was surprisingly very good and and not overpowering.

I happen to like the TV show Brew Dogs. If you don't know it, the guys behind Brew Dogs Brewery in the UK run around to different craft brewers and come up with off the wall beers to brew.

Anyway, they did an eisbock with the head brewer at Founders, brewing and freezing it below the ice of a lake up there. They mentioned that many eisbocks get to be a high enough ABV that to be legal, the brewer in many places also has to have a distiller's license.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
La Fours
AG
I like the show too. Are they still filming? Haven't seen any new episodes in a while.
docaggie
AG
It's been a year since season 3 finished, and I see no sign of season 4 coming out, neither at Esquire's site, nor on their facebook or twitter pages.

So I'm guessing they're either too busy at the moment, or it hasn't been renewed.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
La Fours
AG
Yeah. That's what I found as well. But no mention on if the show was cancelled. So I'm guessing they are filming now or working on getting the US brewery running before starting season 4.
Jock 07
AG
Loved that show, I think the Belgium one was my favorite. Seeing where the CBS barrels come from was pretty cool as well.
Scriffer
AG
Found out this week that Community Brewing's landlord sold to the Mavs to use as a practice facility. They have seven years left on their lease, so it's not an immediate problem. They'll have a headache moving their facility though. Best case at this point is Cuban wants to get started early and gives them a nice buyout that they can use towards the transition.

Anyone have experience or knowledge with moving a brewery of that size? I assume to keep production going, they'll have to buy all new equipment for the new location and just sell off their current production line.

This project will probably be a big boon for the Design District, but I'm conflicted. Community was a big part of the growth there...I hope they find a good solution.
La Fours
AG
Those were two of my favorite episodes as well. Especially the Belgium one.
62strat
AG
I was totally amazed at the San Fran episode. They collected fog, like straight out of the air, to do a beer that had ingredients from the area. They constructed some big net looking thing, hung it in the air, with the assumption fog would roll in and hit this thing and change back to water, and at the bottom was a drain tube that drained to a bucket. Sure enough the next day they had a few gallons of water. Unbelievable.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Wow that is quite the change. I'm confident that the crew at Community will handle it well, though.

Speaking of Dallas, enjoyed the (512) IPA out at Katy Trail Ice House this fine afternoon. Not sure why I haven't had this one before. Think I tried ordering it once when they were out of it.

She had the Summer Beer cocktail. Katy Trail does that kind of drink the best, IMO.
maca1028
I like it.
Jock 07
AG
Watching the Ags do their thing

maca1028
https://instagr.am/p/BGTCav8FKH6
Jock 07
AG
Birthday bomb is on tap here in town, might have to go check it out
La Fours
AG
Last of the six pack. Watching the Aggies win.

http://texags.com/forums/25/topics/2753722
Represent830
AG
quote:

Wrong link?
maca1028
https://instagr.am/p/BGUiFh9MLzx

Bottling MvB
La Fours
AG
quote:
quote:

Wrong link?

Lol. Oops. Didn't even notice that last night.

62strat
AG
now we're talking.. barrel aged Robitussin.

Quite funny actually
http://www.theonion.com/article/pfizer-releases-vintage-cask-aged-robitussin-37092
Represent830
AG
quote:
https://instagr.am/p/BGUiFh9MLzx

Bottling MvB
Definitely making this one.
Post removed:
by user
jh0400
AG
Where'd you find the BCBS?
Post removed:
by user
MathNewman06
AG

Bottling date: unknown
Jock 07
AG
Coworker brought this back from the NW for me, excited to try it

Robert C. Christian
AG
Where'd you get thar glass?
MathNewman06
AG
It was a gift, but I think this is it: http://www.theuncommongreen.com/collections/street-maps-glassware/products/houston-street-maps-pint
MathNewman06
AG
DP
Robert C. Christian
AG
Thanks!
NColoradoAG
First Page Last Page
Page 939 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.