Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,643,604 Views | 62615 Replies | Last: 19 min ago by SoTxAg
Jock 07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I had a somewhat weird experience tonight. Opened a box of what I thought was a 2013 Sucaba only to find a bottle of 2012 DDBA in it.

Jason_Ag98
AG
Damn, I miss DDBA.
Hudson2508
AG
Did you buy it at a store or trade for it? That's crazy.
Jock 07
AG
Bought it here at my local liquor store a few years ago
maca1028
How's it drinking? I have a 12 in my beer cabinet.
Jock 07
AG
Pretty damn good, think it's thinned out a bit but still damn good.
SecoKid
AG
Anyone seen hop delusion in SA?
maca1028
docaggie
AG
I'm still finding the occasional glass shard from that.
And the wife never lets me live it down.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
army01
AG
Where are you? If you are interested, I have some DDBAs in DFW.
Jason_Ag98
AG
I'm in Austin.
army01
AG
quote:
I'm in Austin.
Well..if you ever head north, let me know. I think I have two each left of 2013 and 2014.
dixie whiskey
AG
honestly can't believe texas big beer took this long to shut down. don't recall a more blatantly unprofessional brewery, with terrible beers to boot. as humorous as they are, I don't think I could take many more grammatically incorrect diatribes about how the government is out to get the queen. that, and their attempt at a "sour" might have been the worst beer I've ever tried. luckily it was a friend who shelled out the cash for it and was stuck with most of the bottle, not myself. he was revolted as I was, and has never once drain poured any beer- not a rancid high life, nothing. he made it about a third into it and threw in the towel.

after a backwoods *******, going with a sam adams rebel rouser. first time I had it, I didn't know what I was drinking, but I enjoyed it thoroughly. was surprised when I found out because Im not big on their rebel ipa. but I do like this one and the cascade ipa, and I think it would hold up well with many in a blind tasting. it's no heavy hitter but I'll buy some when there's not much of a selection to choose from.

on the subject of cascade, is the blackcap raspberry still around anywhere, or does anyone familiar with their releases know when it might be back? since they've hit texas I've tried several of their offerings, but that one was the absolute best imo. drinks more like a lambic to me. I've got one bottle left but I really want to sit on it a while. if nothing else, sort of holding out hope that it's an annual release and might be back this fall, which is when I bought all mine.
62strat
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Good point. All the talk of 11 under yesterday got me brainstorming saturation. I'm not sure where that point occurs.

BSD may have a better mind to talk with about this, I'm sure wine producers in California hit this mark in the past.
I ran the numbers last year for an article. This is how they came out:

Denver has one brewery for every 28k people.

Houston? One for every 274k people.

Austin? One for every 40k people.

DFW? One for every 185k people.

San Antonio? One for every 151k people

Houston, DFW, and SA can pretty much pump breweries in for quite some time. Sure, the Denver market is different, but all markets are starting to head towards more craft.

Austin is the only one somewhat getting close, and it can still add another 30ish before it is close to Denver.

I would also be interested to see these numbers as barrels of beer produced per capita. Most of the breweries in Denver for example are brewpubs and probably don't make very much for the most part.
https://www.brewersassociation.org/statistics/by-state/
I don't know of a by city source.

Your CO example is correct, but we have just a few juggernauts.. like coors (the largest single brewery in the world) budweiser, new belgium, oksar blues, odell, left hand, and breckenridge, only 1 of which is in denver, and NB's output is more than like the next 9 biggest brewers combine. NB is 4th in US, only behind Yeungling, Boston Beer, and SN.
Caveat: I don't think the stat link includes bud, as it says 'craft stats'.. but I can't find text that backs up my claim. Also, Since NB and Oskar Blues both have a NC plant, I doubt those numbers go towards CO, which makes a difference.

CO is 2nd highest beer produced per capita (defined as 21+ year old), 3rd in most overall beer produced (first place is not who you'd think), and 1st in economic impact per capita.

Due to Texas and it's sheer population, it will never top any per capita lists.. just like California. The smaller states get those, vermont, oregon, co.
Jock 07
AG
quote:
quote:
I'm in Austin.
Well..if you ever head north, let me know. I think I have two each left of 2013 and 2014.
Another successful texags beer thread hookup.
AggieStout
AG
Anyone have any recommendations on a beer that's like Karbach's Clown lounge?
I really only drink stouts and porters with the seasonal light beer and never really touch IPA's but this one was really really good.
jh0400
AG
The only barrel aged IPA I can think of that I liked is Great Divide Rumble. Of course, to me Rodeo Clown is more like a barleywine than a DIPA.
Inspector Spacetime
AG

quote:

CO is 2nd highest beer produced per capita (defined as 21+ year old), 3rd in most overall beer produced (first place is not who you'd think), and 1st in economic impact per capita.

Pennsylvania with the most produced makes sense because I think they usually include Yuengling in those craft beer figures.

But is Yuengling not an adjunct beer? My understanding is that a craft beer must, among other things, be independently owned/operated, making less than 6,000,000BBL/year, and have a flagship beer that is all-malt. Same goes for Shiner... I will see them in the production rankings of craft breweries by the BA, but Shiner Bock has rice in it.
Inspector Spacetime
AG
quote:
Anyone have any recommendations on a beer that's like Karbach's Clown lounge?
I really only drink stouts and porters with the seasonal light beer and never really touch IPA's but this one was really really good.
I would look for a bourbon barrel aged American-style Barleywine of some kind.

Actually, Bourbon Barrel Arrogant ******* wouldn't be too terribly far off either.

Edit: I haven't had it yet but Deep Ellum seems to have a barrel aged Am Barleywine so that might get you close to a Clown Lounge fix
62strat
AG
quote:

quote:

Pennsylvania with the most produced makes sense because I think they usually include Yuengling in those craft beer figures.

That's absolutely right. Yuengling is largest brewery considered craft. Combine that with small number of states distributed to, and you realize how dense their presence is in those states. The next 3 breweries distribute to almost all states. Yuengling output is about 3MM bbls (in '12).

Boston beer shows 4.1mm in '14, so maybe they are teeter tottering. SN is 800K, and NB is 700K, though they just opened their NC brewery, so that will likely surpass SN (Who has had a NC facility 2 years now).

Interesting fact, the SN NC facility has 8X the output as the Chico plant.
ChipFTAC01
AG
EDIT: NM, Sierra Nevada.
AggieOO
more on Big Beer:

http://www.shadetxcraft.com/editorial-texas-big-beer-crowdfunding-2/
La Fours
AG
quote:
more on Big Beer:

http://www.shadetxcraft.com/editorial-texas-big-beer-crowdfunding-2/

Lol. Thats not the real brewery Twitter account. But still funny.
La Fours
AG
Dammit. You edited while I was posting.
AggieOO
quote:
Dammit. You edited while I was posting.
MathNewman06
AG

First time trying Pirate Bomb!
Holy crap.
Inspector Spacetime
AG
Haha awesome, I actually have one chilling at the moment. Great minds
62strat
AG
Got dam, this is a fine beer. Purchased on 3/28/14, and it has lots of carb. (I didn't get the photo for a couple minutes after pour.)
Need to find this again.

Kyle98
AG
BIL brought me back a Cantillion Gueuze (the Gueuze 100% Lambic Bio) from his Belgium trip. To drink soon or save?
steve00
AG
I may be able to help you out with that.

Enjoying a 2014 Veritas - this one is cherry based. It is really good, but not as good as the 2015 with peaches and apricots.

big-ag
AG
Had the Waldo's Ale tonight. So good. Glad I bought two.
dixie whiskey
AG
got a bottle of clown shoes hephaestus tonight. holy **** this is great. definitely gonna stock up
La Fours
AG
Tell me more? What style? Is it barrel aged?
cc10106
Great night drinking good beers with friends tonight. The new Sunday Morning Stout is damn near perfect right now.

DFW folks, I'm ISO Collective Bug Rye'd or raspberry golden sour if you have any for trade. Evidently it's worth Atrial 1:1 now, despite it having no limits, so that's awesome.
docaggie
AG
I picked one up a couple of days ago.
It's a Fistful of Unidragon with espresso.
I haven't tried it yet.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
First Page Last Page
Page 912 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.