Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,566,505 Views | 62472 Replies | Last: 14 hrs ago by jah003
Represent830
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Crooked Stave

Trying to keep this as cheap as possible.

Does not compute

The way I'm reading it.. cheaper lodging = more money to spend on beer
Nailed it.
Represent830
AG
quote:
quote:
Crooked Stave

Does not compute

But seriously, it's hard to make recommendations for these trips. 3 days is not a lot of time if you're also planning to go to RMNP.

Airbnb is the way to go these days.

Other Downtown places to check out: Cerebral, Mockery, Spangalang, and Beryls.

Personally, I would skip all the places south of Colfax (TRVE, Copper Kettle, and Comrade) and go to The Highlands/Berkley. Hops and Pie for lunch and then Call to Arms, Hogshead, and Dieboldt are all short drives/medium walks. That's just me though. Other than TRVE, you're going to find a lot of Comrade and Copper Kettle taps at Euclid, Falling Rock, First Draft, and Hops and Pie. The smaller breweries are the better places to go to, IMO.

If you do end up making the drive to RMNP (2 hours from Downtown) I'd stay in Fort Collins that night. That'd allow you to check out some spots there. Check hours though as the big fort collins places keep short evening hours. You can find some Weldwerks handles at The Mayor of Oldtown and Tap and Handle. Or you could come to Greeley and I'll buy you a beer.
I was actually thinking about swinging through Greeley on my way back. I'm going to Estes Park to hike Twin Sisters Peak trail early Friday morning.

What are some of the other small breweries? Any besides the three you listed (Call to Arms, Hogshead, Dieboldt)?
BSD
AG
FYI, I'm in search of Dark Lord variants from this upcoming weekend so if y'all hear anything, please let me know. Gotta keep the verticals going.
62strat
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Crooked Stave

I was actually thinking about swinging through Greeley on my way back. I'm going to Estes Park to hike Twin Sisters Peak trail early Friday morning.

What are some of the other small breweries? Any besides the three you listed (Call to Arms, Hogshead, Dieboldt)?
On the way back from estes you can stop at the oskar blues in lyons.

As far as 'the other small breweries' there are about 100, if not more, in the front range.. so, maybe throw a dart?

But for real, just across from crooked stave is the great divide barrel room, and then across the side st. from that is mockery which has many beers on tap. Prost is close by as well, which is all german beers.
Jock 07
AG
I went to Beryl's last year and thought they were pretty damn good.
Bmac04
AG
quote:
FYI, I'm in search of Dark Lord variants from this upcoming weekend so if y'all hear anything, please let me know. Gotta keep the verticals going.

Already sent my buddies $$$ to try and buy bottles from people leaving DLD
BSD
AG
quote:
quote:

Already sent my buddies $$$ to try and buy bottles from people leaving DLD
send more.
NColoradoAG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Crooked Stave

Does not compute

But seriously, it's hard to make recommendations for these trips. 3 days is not a lot of time if you're also planning to go to RMNP.

Personally, I would skip all the places south of Colfax (TRVE, Copper Kettle, and Comrade) and go to The Highlands/Berkley. Hops and Pie for lunch and then Call to Arms, Hogshead, and Dieboldt are all short drives/medium walks. That's just me though. Other than TRVE, you're going to find a lot of Comrade and Copper Kettle taps at Euclid, Falling Rock, First Draft, and Hops and Pie. The smaller breweries are the better places to go to, IMO.

If you do end up making the drive to RMNP (2 hours from Downtown) I'd stay in Fort Collins that night. That'd allow you to check out some spots there. Check hours though as the big fort collins places keep short evening hours. You can find some Weldwerks handles at The Mayor of Oldtown and Tap and Handle. Or you could come to Greeley and I'll buy you a beer.

All the places I listed would be considered "small". Denver to Estes to Greeley and back to Denver will be a long day, but I'd be happy to meet you at Weldwerks if it's after 5pm. You can PM me and I'll send my cell phone number.
Two Down
AG
Glad you could enjoy it Hub.

So I am headed up to Boston and New Hampshire for a few days starting Friday. Aside from Trillium, Maine, Night Shift and Tree House (though I doubt I will be able to make it down), is there anything I need to be on the lookout for? I will have my winechecks with me. And any advice as to good taphouses/bottle shops would be welcome as well.
62strat
AG
I notice there's a brewery in Willowbrook area that is aggie owned (co-owner), 11 Below (been mentioned on here just 2-3 times).. Is this person on here?

Jock 07
AG
Co-worker of mine heading up to Boston for work next week. Won't have a ton of time but is there anything that's somewhat readily available that I should have him pick up for me? He's staying at the Hilton Boston/Woburn
Represent830
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Crooked Stave

Does not compute

All the places I listed would be considered "small". Denver to Estes to Greeley and back to Denver will be a long day, but I'd be happy to meet you at Weldwerks if it's after 5pm. You can PM me and I'll send my cell phone number.
My flight arrives at 7am in which I'll be headed straight to Estes. I'll give you a shout.
army01
AG
quote:
Co-worker of mine heading up to Boston for work next week. Won't have a ton of time but is there anything that's somewhat readily available that I should have him pick up for me? He's staying at the Hilton Boston/Woburn
Spencer Trappist, Maine brewing...There is a lot up there that we don't get in Texas, so I usually don't have any issue filling up my bag, but y'all get a lot more than we do.

Grey Sail's Captain's Daughter is a decent DIPA.

I'm heading up next month after graduation and hopping to come home with some Trillium and Night Shift, but we'll see what I can find.
AggieOO
Allagash!
maca1028
Brash Fancy Sauce
Chipotlemonger
AG
For some reason I've always really wanted to try Allagash... I like their story too.
Represent830
AG

Love this stuff.
La Fours
AG
quote:
I notice there's a brewery in Willowbrook area that is aggie owned (co-owner), 11 Below (been mentioned on here just 2-3 times).. Is this person on here?

This is the first I have heard of it.
Bmac04
AG
Love coming home to beer mail

Jock 07
AG
quote:
quote:

This is the first I have heard of it.
I believe it's been mentioned on the Houston board's beer thread
Jason_Ag98
AG
So is last year's batch of regular BCBS having some infection problems too? I've seen a couple of references to it on Untappd.

In related news, I did finally get a BCBS shirt in the mail from Goose Island a few days ago after I requested a refund for BCBCS and BCBW in January. I'd forgotten all about it.
Bmac04
AG
Rare and Regal are the only ones without reported issues... so far

Jason_Ag98
AG
Dang, better start working through my stash and hope it's not already too late. I bought a case and have only drank a couple so far.
Jock 07
AG
quote:
So is last year's batch of regular BCBS having some infection problems too? I've seen a couple of references to it on Untappd.

In related news, I did finally get a BCBS shirt in the mail from Goose Island a few days ago after I requested a refund for BCBCS and BCBW in January. I'd forgotten all about it.
So they sent you the shirt instead of money?
Inspector Spacetime
AG
I've met one of the 11 Below owners (I think only one is an Aggie-- Brandon I think his name was) at a tailgate on west campus near the turn towards Wehner. He had a jockey box with their main three beers but had already sold all the 7 Iron. He had the Color Blind Red IPA, and I honestly have it up there with my top everyday beers from Houston, along with most of Karbach's, naturally. I hope those guys do well, though. Their cans look pretty cool, too, though I haven't had any packaged beer from them yet.

PS, for those who don't know-- 11 Below refers to the barrel size for beer versus oil (42 - 31 = 11). I believe the owner I met said they were former O&G guys who'd been home brewing for a couple decades.
Jock 07
AG
Does keeping the BCBS variants refrigerated help combat infection issues at all?
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:

I thought some had reported getting infected regulars as well, albeit at a way smaller hit rate.
Bmac04
AG
quote:
quote:

I thought some had reported getting infected regulars as well, albeit at a way smaller hit rate.

Have multiple friends that have reported regualr being infected. I have started drinking all of my regular stash down. All of the recent ones I have opened have been dated 11/11/15 and all of them have been fine
Chipotlemonger
AG
Thanks for posting the info...I've had 1 of 3 that I originally got for me to keep.

11/12/15 on both of mine left. I think I may drink one soon just to see... Before it heats up in a month or so.

If it's fine I think I'll take my chances with aging the other one.
Jason_Ag98
AG
No, they sent both - I got the check about a month ago. At the time they mentioned they might send "a T-shirt or something" so I didn't think much of it, but they actually followed through (eventually).
maca1028
quote:

Remember that one time, when I said I've never tried mead before?
Jason_Ag98
AG
quote:
Thanks for posting the info...I've had 1 of 3 that I originally got for me to keep.

11/12/15 on both of mine left. I think I may drink one soon just to see... Before it heats up in a month or so.

If it's fine I think I'll take my chances with aging the other one.
I cracked open an 11/12/15 bottle tonight and it tasted fine to me.
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
I cracked open an 11/12/15 bottle tonight and it tasted fine to me.

Scriffer
AG
quote:

Gawldang you get more beer mail than I get bench warrants for the crackheads who used to live in my house.
Inspector Spacetime
AG
quote:
Does keeping the BCBS variants refrigerated help combat infection issues at all?
All I know for sure to comment on this is that warmer beer is going to oxidize faster. My thought is that an infection is going to be there regardless of the temperature, if it's there in the first place. I could see warmer temps exacerbating an infection but don't know that for a fact.
First Page Last Page
Page 909 of 1785

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.