Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,633,829 Views | 62598 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by txag2008
62strat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
I had sworn I was done with lost abbey beers after carb issues with the last couple I had tried, but figured I'd give this a shot since I never see this one.

where did you get it? I've had one for about 2 years, and am very anxious to drink it. I just didn't know if it was a seasonal or one off or what, cause I've never seen it since I picked it up.
62strat
AG
I picked up a 4 pack of Spencer, the first and only Trappist ale made in USA.
It was nice. Wasn't sure of the style, as the label didn't indicate. It is golden, but didn't remind me of a trippel. More of a Belgian pale ale maybe. At 6.5%, it's not strong enough for a Belgian strong.
Jock 07
AG
It dropped here either last week or week before last
steve00
AG
I think it comes out once a year. I hadnt seen carb issues on it until I bought 6 bottles from their cellar collection. Apparently this isnt a good choice for aging. After a year in their cellar, and maybe 6 months in mine, half had no carb.

Just got some fresh ones and haven't seen an issue yet. It's a really great beer when it's right.

NColoradoAG
quote:
quote:
I had sworn I was done with lost abbey beers after carb issues with the last couple I had tried, but figured I'd give this a shot since I never see this one.

where did you get it? I've had one for about 2 years, and am very anxious to drink it. I just didn't know if it was a seasonal or one off or what, cause I've never seen it since I picked it up.
It's turding it up around Northern Colorado at $16-$18 a bottle. It is a yearly release.
reesei10
quote:
I think it comes out once a year. I hadnt seen carb issues on it until I bought 6 bottles from their cellar collection. Apparently this isnt a good choice for aging. After a year in their cellar, and maybe 6 months in mine, half had no carb.

Just got some fresh ones and haven't seen an issue yet. It's a really great beer when it's right.

http://i.imgur.com/GjO91I8h.jpg
My first thought is that the aging process does not loose carbonation over time, and the cork is supposed to be a better seal than a cap unless it dries out and cracks. I have had some of Lost Abbey's bigger beers like the Angle's Share and it did not have any carbonation, but I think it is due to their bottle conditioning method. All in all, the beer was probably flat from the brewery. It would interesting to see if anyone has any forced carbonated corked beers that have lost their carbonation over time, but how would you know if it was carbonated originally?
army01
AG
quote:
I picked up a 4 pack of Spencer, the first and only Trappist ale made in USA.
It was nice. Wasn't sure of the style, as the label didn't indicate. It is golden, but didn't remind me of a trippel. More of a Belgian pale ale maybe. At 6.5%, it's not strong enough for a Belgian strong.
Evidently, Spencer has a stout now too. Planning on picking one of those up in Mass next month. I think my 4 day trip is going to require a good sized checked bag.
Post removed:
by user
Hickory High
AG
Had a bottle of The Abyss Cognac BA last night. Good stuff.
MW13
AG
So kind of an odd request here. In the next 2 weeks I have some big personal accomplishments (finishing up a Masters, big accomplishment at work etc) that I would like to celebrate. I've been looking forward to opening something nice kicking my feet up and enjoying what I've done.

I am looking for something that I would not normally be able to get here in DFW to sit back and celebrate with. It doesn't have to be something ultra-rare just something I normally wouldn't get to have unless it was a special occasion. Does anybody have anything extra they wouldn't mind selling me or trading? I'm not sure I have anything that would interest you heavy hitters but I'm more than willing to pay. I like just about anything and I have no idea what exactly I want so I'm open to whatever. Thanks in advance.
62strat
AG
For all those with Denver trips planned in their future.. this could be helpful.

Denver just had the 'A' line open today; A rail from airport to downtown denver. Here are breweries within walking distance (or a short uber) from a couple of the stops. My quick math tells me about 20.. pretty impressive density.

A short write up on each brewery.
https://www.porchdrinking.com/articles/2016/04/22/breweries-in-walking-distance-of-denvers-rtd-a-line/
NColoradoAG
Just completed my first trade on Beer Exchange. Actually not a bad little set up they've got going. Just a little time consuming initially.
Hub05
AG
Gueuze or Stout?
jh0400
AG
Been to Bridgeport, Rogue, and Deschutes. Heading to Cascade, then Apex, and possibly Belmont Station.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
quote:
For all those with Denver trips planned in their future.. this could be helpful.

Denver just had the 'A' line open today; A rail from airport to downtown denver. Here are breweries within walking distance (or a short uber) from a couple of the stops. My quick math tells me about 20.. pretty impressive density.

https://www.porchdrinking.com/articles/2016/04/22/breweries-in-walking-distance-of-denvers-rtd-a-line/

10 Barrel is in Denver now?

Man, InBev sure is expanding them like crazy...
jh0400
AG
BSD
AG
quote:
Been to Bridgeport, Rogue, and Deschutes. Heading to Cascade, then Apex, and possibly Belmont Station.

Do it. Do it.
jh0400
AG
We survived Cascade. Going to stop at a bottle shop and head to Apex for PtE.
maca1028
Belmont is a must!
turfman80
AG
A box from the west coast came in this week.

Represent830
AG
quote:

I'll be in Denver in 3 weeks. Thank you, sir!
Represent830
AG
quote:
So kind of an odd request here. In the next 2 weeks I have some big personal accomplishments (finishing up a Masters, big accomplishment at work etc) that I would like to celebrate. I've been looking forward to opening something nice kicking my feet up and enjoying what I've done.

I am looking for something that I would not normally be able to get here in DFW to sit back and celebrate with. It doesn't have to be something ultra-rare just something I normally wouldn't get to have unless it was a special occasion. Does anybody have anything extra they wouldn't mind selling me or trading? I'm not sure I have anything that would interest you heavy hitters but I'm more than willing to pay. I like just about anything and I have no idea what exactly I want so I'm open to whatever. Thanks in advance.

What do you like?
jh0400
AG
Blind Pig

jh0400
AG
My wife is pissed because it was $30, but why the **** not? 2014 Supp can't be passed up.

jetch17
dave99ag
AG
At least you shared with her.
DallasAggie2012
AG
How's it drinking? Got a 2014 chilling in my cooler right now.
jh0400
AG
Good, but not fully dried out. Has at least a year or more left in it.
BSD
AG
Perhaps my favorite beer.
jh0400
AG
Mine as well.
Chipotlemonger
AG
My girlfriend is evolving in her beer taste.

When we started dating she liked wheat style beers. Eventually she got into saisons and Tripels as I started delving into more craft beer.

Then last night something I never thought would happen, after sampling a few IPAs last Saturday, she drank a full Sierra Nevada Tropical IPA last night. Her palette has really changed over the last year or so. I am pretty happy with the changes.

She did get mad at me for never having room in my fridge, so I've been steadily consuming/not buying to clear some space.

What do y'all's SO's drink, beer wise?
Scriffer
AG
And mine.

Good thing Rep830 is a good guy
Represent830
AG
quote:
And mine.

Good thing Rep830 is a good guy

Hasn't happened yet because you haven't sent my your address yet......
Represent830
AG
Me*

I'm deunk
Represent830
AG
Drunk*
First Page Last Page
Page 904 of 1789

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.