Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,653,380 Views | 62634 Replies | Last: 11 hrs ago by Objective Aggie
Chipotlemonger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Making me feel bad for only grabbing 1!
La Fours
AG
Bro
Jock 07
AG
JV folks, my dad was telling me backyard grill at jones and west has a pretty good beer selection, can anyone confirm this? I haven't been there in probably at least 10 years.
62strat
AG
I was gonna chime in until I read your last sentence. Eveytime i went they always had a good selection of beer at that time. But every time I went was when I lived in JV in 2005.
Hub05
AG
Corndog, I am in need of some PNW help. Would mind emailing me at username at outlook.com
jetch17
AG
quote:
JV folks, my dad was telling me backyard grill at jones and west has a pretty good beer selection, can anyone confirm this? I haven't been there in probably at least 10 years.
yeah they are pretty proactive in supporting the local brew scene with lots of Tine & Texas breweries with a pretty extensive list and "beer club"

havent been a in a while as its just down the street, but can usually count on having a good tap list and all recent & sepcial releases (bishops barrel, FUN series etc...)

plus a good place to grab a burger or go watch a game in the bar area or biergarten (just a sh*tty patio out front)
Jock 07
AG
While still very good, probably my least favorite barrel works beer.

soso33
quote:
Best Black Butte reserve I've ever had. I can only imagine how this will age. I guess I should buy more.

http://i.imgur.com/jXWT0ON.jpg

Picked one up tonight on your recommendation

For the holidays
txaggie05
AG
quote:
While still very good, probably my least favorite barrel works beer.

http://imgur.com/fbXQmlA.jpg
I'd agree w/ that. Very underwhelmed the first time I had it.
army01
AG
Man...i have yet to see BB27 around Fort Worth.
DallasAggie2012
AG
Forgot to post a nice little haul yesterday from Cali. Never tried the BASS before, so I am very much looking forward to that one.
AgEng06
AG
I posted a thread on the Outdoor Board about excess condensation in my beer "cellar", but wanted to get your opinions as well, because I trust you, and because BEER THREAD.

http://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2700396

quote:
I have an old upright freezer that I use to "cellar" beer. It has a Johnson Controls temperature controller on it to keep the temp around 50 deg F. The freezer is located in my insulated garage, so it never get as hot nor as cold as the outside air.

The problem I'm having is a large buildup of condensation inside the freezer. Over time it will be standing in the bottom of the freezer. This is a pain in the ass 1) because it rusts the caps and causes the labels to peel off and 2) I have to remove 100+ beers, dry up the water, and then re-stock every few months.

Is this due to an issue with the freezer (faulty seal, etc.) or is it just the nature of using a freezer at higher than normal temperatures? Would I be better off using a refrigerator for this purpose?

Kyle98
AG
I think it has to do with freezers not being built handle moisture the way a regular refrigerator is. That's what I've read when searching on this same problem, anyway. I have the same problem with my chest freezer I use as a fermentation chamber. Lots of moisture leading to mold growing in places. Which can be, of course, bad for making beer. I haven't had any problems with infected beer yet, but I didn't want to take any chances. Plus, it's a pain cleaning the chest freezer out after every fermentation cycle.

I bought one of these the other day after seeing it recommended in several places, and it seems to be working really well at getting rid of moisture.
NoneGiven
AG
Specs on Brodie in Austin had the BCBS variants. I passed on the Black Butte and regretting that choice.
62strat
AG
Yeh my chest keezer had a slight moisture problem. I used those jars of moisture remover, it's at lowes can't remember exactly what it is.

Also, in Denver, a chest freezer set at lagering temps has no moisture issues. So may just be a curse of a humid environment.
Jason_Ag98
AG
Struck out on coffee but managed to get a barleywine. SW Parkway Market still has Abyss and Black Butte if you're still looking - out on the floor with no limit as far as I know.
Hudson2508
AG
Had a meeting near Specs Brodie at lunch and lucked out into all 3 variants (one of each). The Regal Rye was $20 though which almost made me pass.
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
Had a meeting near Specs Brodie at lunch and lucked out into all 3 variants (one of each). The Regal Rye was $20 though which almost made me pass.

Oh really?
BSD
AG
Still no variants here in Houston. I'd like to give that Regal Rye a shot.
AgEng06
AG
Couldn't find any Rye on the north side...
Hudson2508
AG
Haha, it did make me think about it for a second. $20 for 12 oz is nuts.
wessimo
AG
It's 16.9 oz, but yep still stupid. Not Rare stupid, but stupid.
62strat
AG
Sadly, $20 for a half liter is not that much anymore. I pay $10-$12 for 375mls and $18-$20 for 750s with no hesitation at this point. My hesitation point seems to currently be about the $1.5/oz price point.

Though I don't buy near as many bombers I as I did last year and year before. 1 year old and one on the way can do that.
Hudson2508
AG
Good point, for some reason thought the BCs were 12 oz. $20 for 16 isn't horrible but willing to pay it for something this rare. I'd say the Coffee, normal and Barley are an excellent deal for $9-10.

Need to decide which one I'm cracking open for my birthday tomorrow.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Happy birthday.

I am having the normal tonight.

I'd go with the barley variant.
NColoradoAG
quote:
What is stupid about a luxury good being priced at what the market will bear?
Hudson2508
AG
Thanks sir.

So apparently JK went and ruined my birthday, not releasing CdT this weekend. Well that and the torrential downpours that are expected Saturday.
Jock 07
AG
Called JV Specs to have my dad go and pickmeoneupbro of the rye and barley wine only to find there is none at any specs in Harris county's
Chipotlemonger
AG
Kyle Allen transferring. Breaking out the BCBS a little early.
NColoradoAG
quote:
Kyle Allen transferring. Breaking out the BCBS a little early.
No ****. The football program is a ****ing clown show.
wessimo
AG
quote:
quote:
What is stupid about a luxury good being priced at what the market will bear?
From AB's perspective not stupid at all. It's on the buyer if they want to pay stupid prices.
Chipotlemonger
AG

Yep, this is good.
Jock 07
AG
My donation for the squadron bar

ETA:won my height in beer
Hudson2508
AG
Well had my first taste of Karbach BBHF tonight and it was excellent. Need to try the vanilla variant.
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
Well had my first taste of Karbach BBHF tonight and it was excellent. Need to try the vanilla variant.

The vanilla is insanely good
First Page Last Page
Page 802 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.