Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,678,541 Views | 62656 Replies | Last: 8 min ago by swampstander
LCE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Real Ale has been making Devil's Backbone since at least 2005. Almost too sweet for me, but I'm not a big fan of Tripels, but this is a very good beer at a great price.
Nom de Plume
AG
quote:
And will not be drinking the White.

I've had the IPA and Summer, but I really dig the White. Starts off a little spicy and flowery, but really gets soft the more you drink it. Reminds me of marshmallows, but its not really sweet. Hard to describe, but I'm a fan.
713nervy
AG
quote:
It's the rye they use I think. Try going to the "tour" and getting extra tickets for more beer...it doen't sit well with you the next day. The first time I tried their rye pils I thought it was one of the best I'd had, but the last two times it seemed more hoppy. I think a bit more control of their process would keep it the same.

I have been to the brewery and done their "tour," and we attempted to talk to Drew, their new fancy head brewer. I've heard from several different bars that carry their stuff and all of them say the exact as you--seems like they are still struggling a bit with consistency of flavor. I haven't had too terrible of a hangover with their other rye beers, any more than I could bring onto myself anyway. But we drank two pints of Dreamcrusher with dinner at Common Table one night and my girlfriend and I both very nearly called into work the next day.

I had about a 20 minute conversation with Reardon about the business side of DEBC and his vision...I think that I mentioned this awhile back. The only person that seemed to give one single f/ck about MY interest in their company and love for their beer was Zach Fickey, their Events Coord. Nobody else could give a CRAP. Such a different attitude than every other craft beer environment.
rhoswen
AG
BCS events (that I know of)

hbc07
AG
Picked up a little somethin somethin today. They didn't think it was going to be available anywhere outside of their pubs, but a very few may find there way to stores.

jetch17
NColoradoAG
Now you have to drink one and tell us if it's any good. Sounds like a strange, strange brew. But I like FW anny's and it doesn't sound too much different. Well, other than the dissident making an appearence.
La Fours
AG
Awesome hbc. I'll be interested to read your review.

I'll be forever grateful if you are able to get a couple more bottles.
BSD
AG
Oh Hells yeah!
La Fours
AG
Oh and anyone want to grab a beer in downtown tomorrow between 3:30 and 5:30? Going to have some time to kill while the rib is in a conference at the Marathon Oil building.
jetch17
AG
Dang, will be downtown for a meeting until about 3, but have to be back on the west side by 4
BSD
AG
quote:
Picked up some tart lychee at lunch today

HEB? I'm about to head over there right now for groceries so pop that sucker open and give me a report.

La Fours, I'd usually be down to leave work for drinks but I am slammed this week.
jetch17
AG
Got it at Specs at kirkwood
BSD
AG
Dick.
jetch17
AG
Trying it tonight and will get some more if it's good
62strat
AG
no beer offshore make 62strat go crazy! So far this is the only method I've found to be able to not drink hah.

I will shortly be remedied though, as I'll be in denver for the weekend

My uncle is tapping his pliny clone that I helped him brew over spring break. Hoping to find a bottle in town to do a side by side.
jah003
S
Having a leftover Left Hand Milk Stout from the deep recesses of my beer fridge...

Might open up a Devil's Backbone tonight as well.
jetch17
AG
F me, this Tart Lychee is delicious. Not sweet like i expected, but a nice refreshing sour. In fact im pissed i only got one. I gotta go back for a few more later this week.

Nice and crisp with a sour finish leaving you wanting another sip. Just what i was looking for to get away from the heavy darks & stouts this time of year.

La Fours
AG
I picked up some Deviant Dale's and Deschutes Twilight Summer Ale. Deviant is really good. Might become part of my regular buys for IPA's. Also went to O'Bannons for craft beer week. Had a glass of Avery's Reverend. It was good. Still not big on Belgian beers of that style. Also had a Lagunitas Lil Sumpin Sumpin. Awesome beer.

[This message has been edited by La fours (edited 5/15/2012 8:59p).]
jetch17
AG
Having a Deviant now. definately a tasty brew.
713nervy
AG
Had a Stumptown Tart (ehhh), Devil's Backbown (nomnom), Maui IPA (3.5/5), and a big ol water.
jh0400
AG
I just got home from an evening at Hay Merchant. Tonight I had the following:

Laughing Dog Alpha Dog - 127 IBU's of awesome
Real Ale Empire - an IPA aged in chardonnay barrels that was ****ing outstanding
Deschutes Red Chair
Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye
Moylan's Moylander
Deschutes Hop Henge

The best part of the night was that I wasn't the CC roulette loser, so I had all of those beers for nothing.
713nervy
AG
Still haven't been to Hay Merchant.
p-wonk01
AG
hbc that's my favorite brewery...been to the ones in Portland and Bend...any chance you could send a bottle? ...seriously! Name the price

[This message has been edited by p-wonk01 (edited 5/15/2012 10:53p).]
hbc07
AG
I'm going back tomorrow to see if they have any left, if so then I'll start figuring things out.

I made it there at 1ish. They startted at 11 with 70 cases, and by that time they were down to around 40. So they were going fairly quick.

As to the tasting/reviews... the best after date is 4/30/13. So apparently after all that aging, it still could use some bottle aging.

[This message has been edited by hbc07 (edited 5/16/2012 12:32a).]
La Fours
AG
Oh and I won't be downtown. I just looked up the address and I'll be over by the galleria. I think I will head downtown though and hit up that specs.

After hitting up the downtown specs, where will be a good place to waste an hour or two close by?
BSD
AG
Hay Merchant.
La Fours
AG
That's on Westheimer near Montrose right?
jh0400
AG
Westheimer and Waugh.

Make sure you have the Real Ale Empire.

[This message has been edited by jh0400 (edited 5/16/2012 9:00a).]
La Fours
AG
I'm here at The Hay Merchant. I have a Karbach Hopadillo in hand. And $50 worth of beer in my trunk. 1 La Folie, 1 Tart Lychee, one Hop Henge, and two Full Sail brewers selection and a 6 of Karbach ipa.

Only one La Folie left at downtown Specs.

[This message has been edited by La fours (edited 5/16/2012 9:33p).]
La Fours
AG
Oh holy ****!!! This Real Ale Empire is phenomenal. Beergasm in my mouth. Fify protected.
BSD
AG
Still there? I'm in the area and need a beer.
La Fours
AG
BSD - thanks for stopping by. It was nice meeting you.
BSD
AG
I'm glad I was able to make it. That Empire was solid!

Did you find your way back to Marathon? After you led to realized I said Studemont when I meant Waugh! Sorry!!!!
La Fours
AG
Lol. Funny you should ask. I missed my turn on to Memorial because I wasn't paying attention. Ended up taking i10 to woodway. Worked out pretty well after all. Thanks for the directions.
First Page Last Page
Page 76 of 1791

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.