Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,645,616 Views | 62620 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by Chipotlemonger
BSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
I almost balked at paying the $45 retail for a bottle of Framboos #humblebrag

I hate you people.
Hub05
AG
I plan on opening a bottle in the tine some time in December. You're invited
BSD
AG
I appreciate it and may take you up on that! I actually got the '14 the other day in a trade from some beers I got in a previous trade for some of my Crooked Staves. I came out really well and the guy even threw in a Westy 12 as an extra. I told him he was already too generous so the next time he's in Houston I'll open up something nice for him.
DonaldFDraper
AG
quote:
quote:
We are staying in Lincoln Park so I planned on hitting Kuma's Too and the Revolution Brewpub. Are the actual brewery and OG Kuma's worth it over the others?

I like the original better. Its more "authentic." The new one is too Lincoln Park. Of course, I passed out at the bar so who am I to make sounds judgement calls. The Revolution brewery and taproom is very close to the original. You do know that Rev Brewpub is nowhere close to Lincoln Park, right?

Thanks BSD.

I do know. We are going to cab/Uber over to that area to spend a good amount of time in the Logan Square area eating and drinking then work our way down to Wicker Park. I was just thinking logistically that the brewpub is close to all the restaurants and bars in Logan Square. I don't mind taking a cab up to the brewery if it is worth it. It's my first time going to Chicago so I am totally a noob.

Any other Chicago recommendations / travel tips?
DallasAggie2012
AG
Thanks for the awesome summary Hub! Very helpful information. The secondary market is really interesting to me just to see how far reaching the craft beer market goes. It's definitely an interesting conundrum, especially for these smaller batch adjunct stouts.

It is fun to follow some of this stuff and see where the market trends. The #newmoney moniker is kind of funny to me as well with the idea of people paying their way into all the "big name/rare" beers. It seems that the rabbit hole of craft beer just continues to grow, and I like it.
NColoradoAG
quote:
I find the buying/selling of beer an interesting conundrum. In general, Beeradvocate people seem to be extremely dismissive of anyone who would sell a beer for a profit. Twitter posts from Cory King, the head brewer at Side Project, posting rewards for information on people selling his bottles after releases enforces this culture.

The talkbeer crowd seems totally fine with secondary markets, but I think it is because that is the type of beer they are buying and selling (i.e., vintage Lambic). They understand that trading for the beer they want to drink is way more of a hassle to acquire tradable beers. They have been doing this for years and aren't willing to camp out of for the flavor of the month and hope the trade value is high. Therefore, the time/cost ratio needed is just not worth it when they can afford to pay cash.

IMO the secondary market on the flavor of the month adjunct stout or AWA seems to be absolutely crazy and likely not worth the price of admission for the frugal beer nerd in me. However, I guess some people are willing to pay these exorbitant amount of money, hence the talkbeer moniker of #newmoney.
I actually feel the opposite, Hub. I think BA is trending more towards secondary market values. I see so many people over there basing their trades on secondary market value. One of the biggest sellers of beer on MyBeerCellar also has some of the largest trade feedback numbers on BA. Coincidence? Doubtful.

Talkbeer seems to just laugh at the whole thing. Of course, there are some heavy hitters there that buy a lot of lambic. And you are correct that it is easier to buy those bottles than trade for them at this point. However, I don't see a lot of those bottles go up for sale so i think the vast majority of those swaps happen behind the scene. Talkbeer in general seems to hate the #newmoney culture of secondary market sales, flavor of the month, and general rarity cock gobbling. I think it's because a lot of us are over there from the great banning of 2013 and we all still remember very well when the whole secondary market deal started to gain traction on ebay in 2010-11 with releases like CBS, Kate the Great, and Bourbon County Rare.
Hub05
AG
I agree BA is basing a lot of value on secondary market too. I feel the masses have no problem trading a $12 retail bottle worth a couple hundred on the secondary market for the same value or more in return. But if you tried to sell it, then you are everything that is wrong with beer. Poor logic. However you are right there are lots of big names who do both over there. Selling is just kept hush hush over there.

And you are absolutely correct with the tb culture. in regard to selling, I have seen several people comment that they have no problem selling the flavor of the month and then using the profits to fund the beer they really want to drink. it is essitially trading but with money as the middleman. Naively, i expected them to get roasted, but no one semed to care.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Great banning of 2013?
Inspector Spacetime
AG
Just tapped at Karbach restaurant yesterday... the Templeton Rye barrel Quad was awesome, as is the Tequila Hop Delusion that's been poured once before.

PS- Station 68 is a firefighter home brew Raspberry Ale, proceeds going toward the Robert Garner Firefighter Foundation
aggiemike02
AG
quote:
Templeton Rye barrel Quad was awesome
NColoradoAG
quote:
Great banning of 2013?

The Alstom Bros. banned a couple hundred of the more veteran and active users of the site in March and April if 2013. They deemed them trolls and instigators for trying to actually have conversations about beer and trading instead of walking in the lockstep groupthink that the Bros wanted.

This banning gave rise to Talkbeer.com. Many other users, myself included, have migrated to that site. The bros have continued to ban people with the same usernames on both sites who say anything negative about them. Somehow my BA account is still active. Ive probably only made five posts on the site in the past couple years.
army01
AG
quote:
I think it's because a lot of us are over there from the great banning of 2013 and we all still remember very well when the whole secondary market deal started to gain traction on ebay in 2010-11 with releases like CBS, Kate the Great, and Bourbon County Rare.
I was buying Triple Bock and Utopias on eBay in 2005 -- OG like that.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I wish they would have put last year's Station 68 into permanent production. That stuff was awesome.
Bmac04
AG
quote:
I agree BA is basing a lot of value on secondary market too. I feel the masses have no problem trading a $12 retail bottle worth a couple hundred on the secondary market for the same value or more in return. But if you tried to sell it, then you are everything that is wrong with beer. Poor logic. However you are right there are lots of big names who do both over there. Selling is just kept hush hush over there.

And you are absolutely correct with the tb culture. in regard to selling, I have seen several people comment that they have no problem selling the flavor of the month and then using the profits to fund the beer they really want to drink. it is essitially trading but with money as the middleman. Naively, i expected them to get roasted, but no one semed to care.

A lot of people in my drinking/trading groups have started to adopt this reasoning as well but only for bigger more expensive beers. A lot of the time its cheaper to just buy what you want on the secondary market rather than have to do 3-4 seperate trades to acquire the type of bottles it would take to package together to land a bigger bottle. Paying $15 shipping each time starts to add up very fast. It also helps when you have a good group of people to share with so that if everyone chips in $20 or whatever you can try more expensive bottles without trading away your entire cellar.
BSD
AG
for Steve00:

quote:
Societe Presents: Duyle's Mess Hall: June 18On June 18, we're closing down the Tasting Room early to host Chef Adam Duyle, formerly of the Monk's
Kettle in San Francisco, for a private, ticketed, family-style beer
dinner. The menu is incredible, featuring a fresh summer vegetable
panzanella, a trio of wood-grilled and roast pork, and a decadent trio
of deserts. The dinner is also one opportunity to taste our new Feral
beer blend, The Thief (more on that later). Tickets for the dinner go
on-sale in the Tasting Room starting May 22, and they'll be up on-sale
online starting Monday, May 25 at www.societethree.bpt.me Get your tickets fast, as this one will sell out.
Whoop04
Hmmm, I will be in sd then, and was planning at least one stop at societie. Thanks for posting.
Geriatric Punk
AG
No way this is going to be good, but I have to try.

Jock 07
AG
Ninkasi Ground Control just dropped here today and I'm doing all I can not to fall for the gimmick. Especially since I work in the industry.
dave99ag
AG
I really enjoy Odell's Myrcenary, so I'm curious to know about the TBA version.
Jock 07
AG
And it sounds like coaltrain did in fact get some cantillon but are sitting on them and claiming they didn't get any.
Hub05
AG
Celebrating my 4th Anniversary with the wife. Traditional gifts are flowers and fruit, so I opened this one up:

La Fours
AG
Same here. Let me know if you see any in town.
dave99ag
AG
Would probably go well with the homemade tamales my wife brought home.

Hmmm... beer pairing ideas?
jh0400
AG
D&Q has Black Metal and Hibernal Dichotomous in stock. No Boxers as of yet.
La Fours
AG
Duuuuuuuude. Homemade tamales?!?!? Nice.
steve00
AG
Thanks for the heads up BSD. I'll probably try to get tickets for this.
jah003
S
Another Live Oak/JK Collab...
http://jesterkingbrewery.com/introducing-jester-king-live-oak-brewing-co-foudreweizen

I'm intrigued... But I do love me some Live Oak Hefe.
La Fours
AG
Sounds a lot better than the first one.
dave99ag
AG
quote:
Duuuuuuuude. Homemade tamales?!?!? Nice.

Some of the families she sees make them for her. I'm not complaining.
Jock 07
AG
Crooked stave boysenberry evil twin imperial biscotti and then split another sucre and a50/50 23 yr Evan Williams 3 ways
Jock 07
AG
Oh yea and I fell for the gimmick

Hope it's actually good
Geriatric Punk
AG
I like those stoners at Ninkasi.
MW13
AG
Ninkasi
jh0400
AG
Does anyone out there want some Hibernal Dichotomous? There is a ton of it around Houston.
NoneGiven
AG
Cracked an old coffee noir. Don't think it aged all that well
First Page Last Page
Page 693 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.