Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,674,042 Views | 62644 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by Quincey P. Morris
NColoradoAG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Loons dropping on the Front Range. Was able to secure a Fou Foune.
Jock 07
AG
quote:
Picked up some Dragon's Milk today after hearing about it on here. Pretty excited to give it a try.
have only had it on tap but it is quite solid, especially considering how readily available it is.
Jock 07
AG
quote:
Thanks for the heads up, I'll be making some calls tonight or tomorrow.
BSD
AG
quote:

I hate you people.
BSD
AG
quote:
Not mine, but my buddy just sent me these pics from a box he had delivered today. Sent from the ex head brewer from Toppling Goliath, maybe the best box I have ever seen

I hate you people.
Jock 07
AG
No dice today but everyone gets their main shipments on thursdays it seems so I'll try again tomorrow. I do know that the local beer bar will be tapping some Iris and possibly other variants along with a bunch of other sour stuff here on 12 Jun
La Fours
AG
What BSD said.
La Fours
AG
What led to that box being sent to your friend from the TG guy?
Jock 07
AG
quote:
Do you know who distributes them?
NColoradoAG
quote:
quote:
Do you know who distributes them?

Crooked Stave
Jock 07
AG
Duh
BSD
AG
quote:
What led to that box being sent to your friend from the TG guy?

Probably a little...

At least that's what I'd do for that box.
Bmac04
AG
He wont say how he got it but he's got very deep pockets
maca1028
How?!?!?!
La Fours
AG
I was assuming a lot of that.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I'm a little late on this kind of thing. Most every beer y'all post from big hauls I do not recognize. I've heard of Twisted Goliath but know nothing of them. Anyone have an estimate for the face value cost of that cooler shipment: a) When each respective beer was released, b) Currently for all bottles.
La Fours
AG
I'd guesstimate the cost at around $20 per bottle. But is the rarity of those beers that is the bigger deal. Very small bottle counts for all of them. Especially the Kentucky Brunch Brand Stout. I havent even heard of the sr71 beer. And a quick google search shows it is very low bottle count. 500 or so bottles.
jah003
S
quote:
I'm a little late on this kind of thing. Most every beer y'all post from big hauls I do not recognize. I've heard of Twisted Goliath but know nothing of them. Anyone have an estimate for the face value cost of that cooler shipment: a) When each respective beer was released, b) Currently for all bottles.

Don't know about face value, but trade value = infinity...
NColoradoAG
quote:

About $180-200 retail, $2000 easy current secondary prices.

I've never had the pleasure of trying KBBS, but have had the past couple batches of Assassin. SR71 is lined up for our next Pre-Casey release bottleshare. Assassin is a really good beer. Flavor and aroma wise it isn't much better than many other top shelf barrel aged stouts, IMO, however it is hands down the best mouthfeel I've ever experienced in a beer. Makes barrel aged ten Fidy taste watered down.

It will be interesting now that they've lost a couple brewers. I'm sure they'll be fine and it will be fun to see what Mike Saboe does. I don't believe he's landed anywhere yet or confirmed starting up his own spot. Seems he's been spending a lot of time on the east coast. Maybe Bmacs homeboy can enlighten us
BSD
AG
Estimate on secondary market

KBBS $700-800 each
Assassin 750mls $300 each
SR-71 $250 each

If someone drank those I'd let him pee on my face afterwards just so I could get a small taste. Wait. What?
NColoradoAG
quote:

KBBS $700-800 each
SR-71 $250 each

If someone drank those I'd let him pee on my face afterwards just so I could get a small taste. Wait. What?

Please tell me some jackass hasn't paid $800 for a KBBS?
BSD
AG
Saw the '13 sell for $801.77. True story.

And no, I wasn't the jackass this time.
NColoradoAG
quote:
Saw the '13 sell for $801.77. True story.

And no, I wasn't the jackass this time.

Crazy. More power to the seller and buyer, but I'll be damned if I'm dropping that coin on a 12 oz, $12 retail coffee stout. I'll hope to come across it at a tasting because that price of admission is too steep for me. That's a three day trip to Vermont or a good chunk of a trip to Belgium.
DallasAggie2012
AG
Where do yall get these prices for this secondary beer market? I knew those bottles were crazy to get, but I have such a hard time believing people would drop that kind of coin on a single bottle still. I mean I know it happens, but it's still mind boggling.
NoneGiven
AG
The facebragging has to be worth a few hundred dollars, right?
maca1028
quote:
Not mine, but my buddy just sent me these pics from a box he had delivered today. Sent from the ex head brewer from Toppling Goliath, maybe the best box I have ever seen

Just realized that son of bish has a chastity lock on it.
Bmac04
AG
I would think he would be able to get around $3500 for the box pretty easy.
jh0400
AG
quote:

KBBS $700-800 each
SR-71 $250 each

I must not like beer as much as some of you. If I'm spending $300+ on a bottle, it better be single malt that's at least of legal drinking age. I don't get it...
Hub05
AG
DallasAg,

Secondary prices mostly come from mybeercellar.com, mybeercollectibles.com, and facebook. The most expensive TG bottle in that picture is the vanilla bean assassin. A tiny # of bottles made and only given to a handful of employees. I remember a thread somewhere saying bottles were only traded by the owners in order stock their cellars with rare beer.

I find the buying/selling of beer an interesting conundrum. In general, Beeradvocate people seem to be extremely dismissive of anyone who would sell a beer for a profit. Twitter posts from Cory King, the head brewer at Side Project, posting rewards for information on people selling his bottles after releases enforces this culture.

The talkbeer crowd seems totally fine with secondary markets, but I think it is because that is the type of beer they are buying and selling (i.e., vintage Lambic). They understand that trading for the beer they want to drink is way more of a hassle to acquire tradable beers. They have been doing this for years and aren't willing to camp out of for the flavor of the month and hope the trade value is high. Therefore, the time/cost ratio needed is just not worth it when they can afford to pay cash.

IMO the secondary market on the flavor of the month adjunct stout or AWA seems to be absolutely crazy and likely not worth the price of admission for the frugal beer nerd in me. However, I guess some people are willing to pay these exorbitant amount of money, hence the talkbeer moniker of #newmoney.
Bmac04
AG
Very nice and accurate summary
Bmac04
AG
BSD
AG
quote:
quote:

KBBS $700-800 each
SR-71 $250 each

I must not like beer as much as some of you. If I'm spending $300+ on a bottle, it better be single malt that's at least of legal drinking age. I don't get it...

I prefer to spend that kind of cash on wine. It has more bang for the buck in my eyes (more flavor, more complexity, pairs better with foods). The KBBS prices are just crazy...and that is for 12oz. I could get 2 Scarecrow 750s for that! Or most of a Screaming Eagle! It's also easier to track wine prices for a more efficient market thru sources like wine-searcher and the results from auction houses. The beer market can be random, confusing, and inefficient.

There will be exceptions, though...
dave99ag
AG
I just clicked on mybeercellar.com.

Had to close that window. Too damn tempting!!!
Hub05
AG
I almost balked at paying the $45 retail for a bottle of Framboos #humblebrag
jah003
S
Speaking of mybeercellar... This thread over on TB is just the best: http://www.talkbeer.com/community/threads/operation-find-the-****tiest-deal-on-mybeercellar-com.1541/page-84#post-662511
First Page Last Page
Page 692 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.