Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,670,935 Views | 62636 Replies | Last: 10 hrs ago by maca1028
La Fours
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The folks on talk beer love them some la cumbre. Seems like I see the ipa posted most of the time. The cans look awesome. I havent had any of their stuff so I can't really say.
steve00
AG
quote:
quote:
Had this at a bar. Pretty good. It seems sour ales are the sours I like most.

sour ales.... as opposed to.. sour lagers???

Yeah, that didn't make a whole lot of sense. I should have said brown/dark ales. I don't usually like the lighter, citrusy ones.
jh0400
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yeah, that didn't make a whole lot of sense. I should have said brown/dark ales. I don't usually like the lighter, citrusy ones.

Sour browns are my favorite by far as well.
Robert C. Christian
AG
Flying into Orlando on Saturday and have the night free. Any good bars to visit? Is Jai Alai pretty easy to find? What other beers would you recommend to have?
Kyle98
AG
quote:
The folks on talk beer love them some la cumbre. Seems like I see the ipa posted most of the time. The cans look awesome. I havent had any of their stuff so I can't really say.
Yeah, all I've seen talked about is the IPA as well.
Whoop04
What are some good single hop IPAs? The only one I know that is, is Yellow Rose (Mosaic)
NColoradoAG
quote:
What are some good single hop IPAs? The only one I know that is, is Yellow Rose (Mosaic)
Sierra Nevada has done a fair amount in their Harvest Series. Sam Adams also did a 12 pack of all single hops.

Hill Farmstead does a ton of rotating single hops pale ales. Obviously they would be on the harder to obtain scale.

I believe Alpine Nelson only uses Nelson Sauvin.

Zombie Dust is only citra.

IIRC, Founders Centennial and Two Hearted are all Centennial hops, but I'm not 100%

Fall is the best time to look for single hop experiments as brewers are getting their batches of fresh hops.
jh0400
AG
quote:

If you can find them on tap, Lone Pint's Zythophile series is all single hop.
DaveHimself
AG
quote:
So, my new National Guard boss lives in Albuquerque and has offered to bring me some La Cumbre to our next drill weekend. What should I have him get for me?
I had their Elevated IPA and Malpais stout last summer when I was in ABQ, both solid beers.
Hub05
AG
Frio,

Jai alai will be pretty ubiquitous in the Orlando area, even at non-craft beer places.

The south atlantic forum has an update every few months for Tampa and Orlando beer. Here is there recommendations for Orlando:

ORLANDO area

Highly Recommended Breweries & Brew Pubs
Cask & Larder
Redlight Redlight(Has always been the best beer bar in Orlando, now also
brewing their own too.) (Follow on popular photo app for regularly
updated taplisits)

Highly Recommended Beer Bars
Tap & Grind
World of Beer Dr. Philips(closest to Disney)
World of Beer Downtown

Highly Recommended Bottle Shops
Knightly(Orange Blossom Trail location only)
Big C Liqour
2 Total Wine locations(check website for stock)
Various ABC locations: (Apopka Vineland store is closest decent beer selection to Disney)
Lake Mary & Winter Park ABC's have growler stations

(A Few) Beer-centric Restaurants
Oblivion Taproom
Cask & Larder
The Smiling Bison
Gnarly Barley (Relatively close to the airport)
Frank & Steins

Orlando Area BA listings - http://www.beeradvocate.com/place/city/80/

Orlando Beer Map http://www.orlandobeerguide.com/orlando-beer-guide-maps.html
Robert C. Christian
AG
That is awesome, thanks Hub! Glad to see Jai Alai should be pretty easy to find.
cpscAG06
AG
jah, nice offerings there. tip of the hat
GTBullitt68
AG
Spec's on Eastchase in Arlington still have a couple bottles of YR left but they are limiting it to one per person. I just called and reserved a bottle.
cgarcia23147
Hey guys, Wild West Brew Fest is this weekend! If you are a fan of craft beer, you will want to be there. With close to 70 brewers and 250 different taps on site, there will be plenty of good brews to go around.

Wild West Brew Fest Facebook page

Here's a quick rundown of what to expect:

The Brewfest is this upcoming weekend. held at Katy Mills Mall (5000 Katy Mills Circle). We will be featuring 100+ Specialty Craft Brewers from various locations all around the country while featuring over 250 individualized craft brews!

Remember. VIP ticket holders get in one hour early (2PM) to enjoy the wonderful liquid that will be offered on property while general Admission opens at 3PM event ends at 9PM. After party cranks up at 9.45 and goes until 11.15PM this will surely be a great day in Katy!
Be sure to download the WWBF app off of the app store for your IPhone or Android device and vote for the best dressed volunteer and best brew!

WWBF will feature musical performances by JT Hodges, Curtis Grimes, Kaos and Horizon and will be a great way to end the night by listening to some great Live Music under the stars. Come find out why these artists have won multiple awards, while Grimes has held the #1 Texas Country Single in 2014, with all of this, no wonder why the Wild West Brewfest has been ranked the second best brewfest in the COUNTRY by BeerYeti.com!

All proceeds will help support Katy area non-profit organizations. Click here for more info! Come out to Katy for the afternoon and stay the night book your discounted hotel room right off our website as they are within walking distance from the event!
62strat
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Gotcha.. Yeh oud bruin, like what you were drinking there.. that's def. top 3 sour styles for me, along with Flanders red..

I do like golden sours with all the various fruits/spices added though. And dry hopped sours are great as well. Paradox does a lot of those.

At this point, 'sour' is such a broad term, you almost have to specify. Traditionally, there have always been flanders, oud bruin and berliner, but Americans have begun to sour anything and everything. IPAs, stouts, light ales, dark ales, etc..
NColoradoAG
quote:
Traditionally, there have always been flanders, oud bruin and berliner,
How dare you leave out Lambic!
No Bat Soup For You
AG
Total Wine by Hulen Mall has bible belt.
steve00
AG
I tried this dry hopped one last night and couldn't finish it.

turfman80
AG
quote:
So, my new National Guard boss lives in Albuquerque and has offered to bring me some La Cumbre to our next drill weekend. What should I have him get for me?
Definitely ask for some Elevated, and some Project Dank if available. Just as good is Marble IPA.
62strat
AG
quote:
quote:
Traditionally, there have always been flanders, oud bruin and berliner,
How dare you leave out Lambic!
DOH!

Yep and lambics, which include Geuzes and fruity sours like Kriek, peche and framboise.

I also forgot the Germans' contribution to the sour realm, the Gose.
steve00
AG
Just finished my last Yellow Rose.

On to my first taste of Sour in the Rye. Very good beer. Will be attempting to purchase more of these tomorrow.

corndog04
AG
At Breakside - they are breaking in their new bottling line and have some mis-capped IPA bombers that need immediate (free) consumption or dump. Guess I'm going to take one for the team.
corndog04
AG
I gave a pretty detailed list of Portland suggestions to pwonk back in November or December on here, might be worth digging up if you haven't planned out your agenda yet.

In addition to what I told him, if time allows I highly recommend a day trip to Tillamook (de garde) or Hood River (Logsdon).
Jock 07
AG
Not great

maca1028
Thanks corndog! I'll be sure to go back and look that up as the trip gets closer. Early definites will be de garde, cascade, and hair of the dog. I'll be looking for some good bottle shops while up there too
Chipotlemonger
AG
Where do yall normally find the atypical Dogfish Head beer varietals here in Dallas? Are their non-regs pretty much just evenly spread out here and there?
maca1028
Pretty good LIF thread over on TB with a chance to win a **** ton of beer and whisky.
http://www.talkbeer.com/community/threads/cultivate-coffee-and-tap-house-lif.22146/
Bmac04
AG
Pretty good little box for a Monday

La Fours
AG
Damn bmac!!
BSD
AG
so money!

except for the mead. Might as well get some Strawberry Hill. I keed. I keed.
Bmac04
AG
Still not sure about the mead. I have only tried one of the schramms before and it was excellent. Have a buddy that can get me as much as.I want so figured.I would give it a shot.
Jock 07
AG
Does Cable Car get distributed here to Colorado?
mforce
AG
I will be in Sunnyvale, CA this week for work. Does anyone have any recommendations on breweries worth checking out in the area or bottles worth picking up?

BSD
AG
quote:
I will be in Sunnyvale, CA this week for work. Does anyone have any recommendations on breweries worth checking out in the area or bottles worth picking up?

SARA (Sante Adarius) is about 40 miles away. You also have Drake's nearby and a few places in SF. I'd hit SARA though. The two I've had were excellent beers. Bring us all back some bottles and you will be handsomely rewarded!
Jock 07
AG
quote:
This is relevant to my interests as we have a support center out there and there's always an outside possibility I might go out there for work as well.
First Page Last Page
Page 679 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.