Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,654,404 Views | 62635 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by swampstander
NColoradoAG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
From what I know, bonfire hit it with bullet E in one of his previous posts. Canning is tough to get into for medium to large craft brewers. Easier at the top or bottom of the spectrum, or if you start your operation that way, like Oskar Blues or Ska. It's easier to make very few (relative to let's say, Coke) or a lot of cans. It took New Belgium and Sierra Nevada years to invest in canning because it was never economical for them until now. Canning lines are expensive and take up real estate that some places don't have. Supply chain is also difficult because makers like Ball and such need to be integrated into your operation. Bottles are more easily obtained.

I think you will see more and more cans popping up. Most of the reasons for have already been stated. I don't care how my beer is packaged as long as its tasty. Ten Fidy is one of my favorite go-to Imperial Stouts. I've kept them for as long as two years in my cellar and they age phenomenally.

[This message has been edited by NColoradoAG (edited 3/27/2012 1:08p).]
p-wonk01
AG
quote:
I'd be hard pressed to think of one craft brewery to have cans in Texas

Southern Star also

It has a lot of the same "perception" problems wine does. The best way to keep wine fresh is to use the twist tops rather than cork, but it's seem as "cheap". Heck box wine is really the best way to preserve if.

[This message has been edited by p-wonk01 (edited 3/27/2012 1:26p).]
army01
AG
I don't disagree. I finally made the jump to trying cans....

I think my preconceived notion is true for the most part. More bad beer comes in cans than good beer. The craft/micro scene is slowly changing, which is opening some of our eyes, but bottom line is that most good beer comes in a bottle.

As far as the aging, the glass does not pass any flavors on to the beer -- I didn't know if the can would act the same way. A canned diet coke tastes completely different than a bottled diet coke, to me.
NColoradoAG
Anyone out there in Northern California going to the Beatification release at Russian River? Or maybe I could talk you into going if you live in the area?
Marooned_n_Aggieland
Why shouldn't the general public think this way? All the mass produced beer has been marketed in cans since before most here were born. So you think that does not leave an impression huh?

How many great brews come in cans? In my opinion, not too many. There are more craft companies working into can but I have to believe this is economics more than anything. I walk past cooler case after case of craft in bottles. Do you think that leaves an impression?

Personally, I prefer getting a beverage in a bottle rather than a can, this includes soft drinks. Perhaps the young cross over generation will look at things differently, and that is where craft needs to make their mark.
62strat
AG
quote:
From what I know, bonfire hit it with bullet E in one of his previous posts
Dang.. did bonfire get credit for my post!

quote:
Hell, also keep the bottles in a dark room/fridge/etc and the case is dropped.
So specs is supposed to expect the customer to walk into a dark fridge to pick their beers?

quote:
A very limited numbers of craft brewers are putting out beers in cans. Up until Karbach came last month (along with Sierra Nevada and now I see Oskar Blues in stores)

More than you think..
http://www.brewersassociation.org/pages/community/charlies-blog/show?title=52-small-craft-brewers-put-beer-in-a-can

52 breweries, and I don't see karbach on there.. so there's probably more. Abita just announced they were going to can.. and more and more are switching over every week it seems.

Like I said, mark my words, in 10 years, maybe 5, it will be flip flopped. 95% of craft beer will be in cans.

There is an alternative to canning, the aluminum bottle.. Surprised more breweries haven't done this.. I assume it's no different in equipment. Boulevard wheat came in aluminum cans at the KC airport.
Marooned_n_Aggieland
I just reviewed all the pictures posted with beer reviews this year (quickly).

I saw _15_ images of cans, and I posted 3 of them. No need to count the bottles, there were hundreds.

At least a few (3) were "slummin" beers.

Someone posted a lineup of Karbach. Southern Star and Oskar was represented fairly well in the pictures.

And this was gleaned from the "craft beer seeker / drinker" thread. Convincing people that great craft beer comes in cans is not going to be a quick deal. I like the cans only because they allow me to take great tasting brew to outdoors glassware restricted events.

army01
AG
quote:
I like the cans only because they allow me to take great tasting brew to outdoors glassware restricted events.

This....Southern Star is great on the course....
RyanC
AG
From a discussion I had at the Alamo Drafthouse last weekend about pronunciations:

Karbach = Kar-batch or Kar-bock?
AggieOO
you also have to remember that most craft brewers started as home brewers. home brewers bottle or keg, but as they increase their batch sizes and "move up in the world" they scale up the processes and equipment they already have.
Marooned_n_Aggieland
Kar-Bock
bonfirewillburn
AG
Many words.....

quote:
So you think that does not leave an impression

ABSOLUTELY it leaves an impression, but times are changing. Don't be afraid is all I am (trying)to say!

Its tough to fight/argue(especially from a business perspective) with what the baby-boomers want to spend their money on. It also doesn't mean that your right. My generation, who are just-ish getting into all this do not have the same "years of let downs" that many of you (old farts) have had. It also does not mean we are correct/or better. Like I said, tap beer is not normally met with the disdain a can is, but it is not really all that different.

quote:
Dang.. did bonfire get credit for my post!

NOPE, mine won It all comes down the the bottom line. If a great brewery cant make a profit it really doesn't matter what the hell they put their product in.

quote:
So specs is supposed to expect the customer to walk into a dark fridge to pick their beers?

I dont have the answer just looking at one problem. It would likely be too impractical to change anything...I am just thinking out loud. Maybe a small selection out - and if you want to purchase a larger amount an employee can go to the back and get it for you? But waiting that extra 10 min may be asking too much? A time controlled cooler that the general public isnt constantly going in and out of?

I am a craft food junkie - I enjoy taking that "extra step" to improve - even slightly - a product. I enjoy trying to perfect every little step to ensure an even more pleasant experience. I am not jaded enough to think, even for a second, that everyone else will or should think the same way.

quote:
Convincing people that great craft beer comes in cans is not going to be a quick deal.

I agree, but now that you have seen that not all beer in a can=bad maybe you wont be so quick to disregard.
Something about a reading a book......

Im also not saying that beer in a can is the only way BY ANY MEANS! I enjoy pulling a cork out of my Belgians and my tasty tasty Damnations and Temptations. While its not necessarily NEEDED, it does add to the overall experience.

AG
quote:
Anyone out there in Northern California going to the Beatification release at Russian River? Or maybe I could talk you into going if you live in the area?

I can't go on this round because of prior family obligations but (knocking on wood here) I'm working this on two angles. I'll report back Saturday night.
NColoradoAG
BSD, you've got to have some mules out there. Call in some favors!

Anyone else? I have two connections out there and struck out with both.
duck79
AG
Just so you know Real Ale will also have cans before the summer is over hopefully. They are having a canning line installed now that will can 60 beers per minute. The can aspect allows many of these breweries to get into places that were never possible before. Some of these beers are not affected at all but some are. For example, in my opinion Magic Hat and Pyramid Hefe taste completely different out of a can.
jah003
S
Speaking of cans... tonights beer (nothing new or spectacular, but hey... it's a stella):

Jock 07
AG
Finally broke into my Hopslam tonight; Extremely impressed and a damned fine beer, one of the better DIPAs I've had. However it still doesn't come close to my Surly Abrasives

NColoradoAG
Just had a Hopslam myself. I'd love to try it super fresh
AggieOO
The gf picked me up from work today and handed me a paper bag with two 750s in it. Dancin' Monks from Adelbert's and one from Ranger Creek. God, I love that woman.
jetch17
AG
epic beer night was epic
Agz_2003
AG
Spoetzl Brewery to release a black ale (or just rebranding the Bohemian Black Lager)?

http://www.trademarkia.com/shiner-black-hare-85551907.html

[This message has been edited by Agz_2003 (edited 3/28/2012 7:47a).]
BSD
AG
quote:
epic beer night was epic

Indeed. I'm still in bed.
jetch17
AG
I'm drinking Gatorade at the office
62strat
AG
quote:
one from Ranger Creek
The Oatmeal pale ale?

quote:
NOPE, mine won It all comes down the the bottom line. If a great brewery cant make a profit it really doesn't matter what the hell they put their product in.

What I meant was, I was first one to explain the economics of canning, and how it was tough for microbreweries to get into because of min orders and equipment, etc.. not economically feasible.

Then you came in a post later and said they don't get into canning because of manufacturing cost. (repeating what I just said)

then NColoradoAG came in and said 'bonfire hit it on the head. Canning is tough to get into for medium to large craft brewers..... It took New Belgium and Sierra Nevada years to invest in canning because it was never economical for them until now. Canning lines are expensive and take up real estate that some places don't have.' etc.etc..

Takin credit for my posts
62strat
AG
quote:
Spoetzl Brewery to release a black ale (or just rebranding the Bohemian Black Lager)?

http://www.trademarkia.com/shiner-black-hare-85551907.html

well that's more than just rebranding it.. it's a different beer altogether. (different yeast, hops, malts...)
Looks like Shiner is going to have a black pale ale.
AggieOO
quote:
The Oatmeal pale ale?

La Bestia, she knows I like the Belgians.
jetch17
AG
as BSD posted a few pages ago, this was OUTstanding last night (and in a can no less )

Agz_2003
AG
quote:
well that's more than just rebranding it.. it's a different beer altogether. (different yeast, hops, malts...)
Looks like Shiner is going to have a black pale ale.

Tha't what I was guessing, but I am not too familiar with beer hops, types, etc.
BSD
AG
Epic Beer Night

A few friends got together last night at a local restaurant to enjoy some great food and about 50 bottles and 2 cans of great beer.  Russian River Brewing Company was the focus and our host did an amazing job pairing the beers with some great food.  Here are the pairings:

First course paired with RRBC Consecration: Grilled Oysters with a goat cheese creamed spinach and andouille crust. Topped with a fried oyster.

Second course paired with RRBC Pliny The Elder: Petite NY strip and blistered cherry tomatoes and bacon chile jam salad.

Third course paired with RRBC Salvation: Pork Short Ribs, Bama BBQ sauce, Blue Mac & Cheese and Asparagus.

Fourth Course paired with RRBC Supplication:  banana chocolate molasses bread pudding and chocolate coffee whipped cream.

After the pairings, we didn’t hold back and dived into a few other bottles:

3 Floyds Dark Lord Russian Imperial Stout
The Bruery Provisions Series: Mother Funker sour ale
Alchemist’s Heady Topper DIPA
Bear Republic Racer X DIPA
3 Floyds Artic Panzer Wolf DIPA
Moylans Hop Craic XXXXIPA
Russian River Framboise for a Cure

Today’s hangover was well worth it!!!!!
jetch17
AG

jetch17
AG
That Hop Craic was ass.
BSD
AG
I just left work with hangover like symptoms. The wine tasting at the end of the night did me in!
jetch17
AG
i can only imagine what happened after i left, shoulda known the wine would come out
BSD
AG
I'm ****ing retarded.
62strat
AG
damn, back up on those pics, and lose the flash! Looks like you got drunker as the pics progressed

[This message has been edited by 62strat (edited 3/28/2012 3:04p).]
First Page Last Page
Page 56 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.