Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,566,632 Views | 62473 Replies | Last: 1 min ago by SoTxAg
Quincey P. Morris
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wow. I didn't realize there'd been an incident. Missed that one. That thread was fun.
Jock 07
AG
Is this Chow character a trust fund baby or something? How does he have the time to be at all these releases?
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I'm curious how he affords to buy some of the things he buys in such quantity.
NColoradoAG
Did he really use a disguise to buy more of the mushroom beer?
army01
AG
quote:
No. He released the artwork, as well as a review of the beer from a bottle h managed to get from a JK volunteer before the official release. JK banned him from the release for that beer.
NColoradoAG
quote:
quote:
No. He released the artwork, as well as a review of the beer from a bottle h managed to get from a JK volunteer before the official release. JK banned him from the release for that beer.

But he still came anyway using a disguise?
Quincey P. Morris
AG
From what LA Fours said I'd say no, but somebody did at the Fen Tao release. Given that recent brouhaha he probably played strictly by the rules for the Fen Tao so as not to make the ban permanent.
Jock 07
AG
Looks like CO is getting the next release of enjoy by
jah003
S
quote:
Is this Chow character a trust fund baby or something? How does he have the time to be at all these releases?

His dad owns a chain of restaurants in the Houston area... I don't think he has a job. Probably just works at the restaurants whenever he feels like it.

I saw Chow on Friday of the Fen Tao release and didn't notice a disguise. Someone did it, but I don't think we know who it is...
NColoradoAG
quote:
Looks like CO is getting the next release of enjoy by

GABF shipments are coming in too. Several places got Westbrook stuff today
La Fours
AG
quote:
Chow in a disguise would be pretty funny though

turfman80
AG
Tempted to head to Austin Friday for Aurelian, but quite a trek for just one bottle...

Enjoying this one on the back patio this evening. As Dave would say.... OH DOCTAH!!!

No Bat Soup For You
AG
If a guy were to sign up for a brew of the month club or something liks that what would be the best one? I have to drive 30 miles to get to any craft brews and then it's just an HEB.
BSD
AG
I've had that before, Turfman. It's been a while.

In other news, I got home from work and my wife was drinking a Consecration. Naturally I stole a few sips when she wasn't looking.
jetch17
Quincey P. Morris
AG
So if the best after date on Black Butte XXVI is 6/14/2015, should I be storing it warm?
BSD
AG
Now she's popped open a JK Nocturn. I poured myself a half glass. This is a pretty good beer!
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Nocturn's awesome. My wife is good with beer, but the fruited sours are her favorite. Mine too for the moment so that works out for my pocket book that I'm not dedicating money to two separate beer choices.

Thanks for the La Vie en Rose. Looking forward to cracking that one open.
jock itch
quote:
Yes, Orval bottle conditions with brett, but for all intents and purposes they only make one beer. The infected Prairie Noirs I had this year wreaked of bottling line infection. Other mixed fermentation breweries like The Bruery and Cigar City have had problems too. Stone themselves has had problems with infection, albeit in their barrel aged stout. Perhaps crazy was the wrong word. It just seems like a strange method to me.

That was my point though: it's not only not "strange" but likely the most common method in a modern commercial brewery...especially those that produce a standard line-up as well. Hell I just randomly bought Odell's 59'er on Sunday and it clearly states on their website that it's bottled w/ Brett.

Prairie Noir also isn't a very good example since it's aged in barrels which are orders of magnitude more likely to harbor wild yeast/bacteria than any other piece of equipment in the brewery,

quote:
That's great. My point was why release a beer that is not ready? What if something goes wrong and all the beers are terrible? Do you just chalk it up to "we told you it was going to be an experiment"?

Not being "ready" is going to be a problem w/ many wild beers unless a significant amount of warm storage is set aside at the brewery to condition properly. Wild beers are kinda supposed to be experimental, funky, or whatever you want to call it. Have you had Jolly Pumpkin's Oro de la Cabeza yet? I tried it on draft at Jester King and took a bottle home as well. The draft version had next to zero Brett presence while the bottle was completely in your face.

quote:
This is gimmicky and will mislead the consumer. Some consumers will suddenly think they should age all their beer, or that beer is fine stored warm. I loved the Enjoy By marketing scheme because it brought awareness to people that hoppy beers should be bought and drank fresh. That is a very easy concept to comprehend. Cellaring beer and wild yeast strains are a whole different animal for the average consumer.

Considering the limited quantities, I don't think Enjoy By/After is marketed towards the average consumer anyways. Even if a little gimmicky, I think it's a pretty smart way to educate even some of the self-professed beer nerds that seem to want to cellar everything they get their hands on (I have friends like this...frustrating as you can imagine).

quote:
I won't buy the beer because there are several other local alternatives. Im also just a bit burned out with Stone since their debacle of a saison, the bull**** kickstarter campaign, their awful session IPA, and the lackluster coffee milk stout. This just feels like another miss in a long line of bad beers.

Totally understandable, and other than the Go-To being awful, finally something we can agree on.
wessimo
AG
In Pittsburgh and checking out church brewing, which is in a 100+ year old church building. Cool venue and decent beer.
NoneGiven
AG
steve00, what is your email? Let's work out a trade for this Final Cask Holy Grail.
steve00
AG
---------------

Let me know what you want and I'll see what I can do.
NoneGiven
AG
Got it. I'll email shortly.
62strat
AG
Just picked up two prairie cherry funks, a new holland dragons blood, a jolly pumpkin la Roja flanders red, and a mikeller 'it's alive', ale aged in grand marnier barrels.

Pretty curious about the mikkeller

Hahah so I had to point out this auto correct. Marnier changed to manure.
Could you imagine the neck beards lined up for the Jester King release, sour ale aged in manure barrels.
jetch17
AG
Still diggin Cherry funk on tap

jetch17
AG
Also had a yellow rose, sculpin, stone 18, & Brazos valley 'the cause' IPA

prettttayyyyy pretty pretty good....
EFE
AG
Damn son, it's a good thing you're a big sumbish. That'd have me slurrrrnn.
BSD
AG
Jetch is back in Sugar Land? That waitress DID want his hog!!!
Bmac04
AG
BA Abraxas tonight. Easily one of the top 5 beers I've had. If you are on the fence about trading for one I highly suggest it!

jetch17
AG
quote:
Jetch is back in Sugar Land? That waitress DID want his hog!!!
jetch17
AG
Dey outta RU55 doeeeeee
jah003
S
quote:
BA Abraxas tonight. Easily one of the top 5 beers I've had. If you are on the fence about trading for one I highly suggest it!

Holy Carp! I need to try that beer at some point in my life... What did that cost you trade wise if you don't mind me asking?
AgEng06
AG
quote:

Could you imagine the neck beards lined up for the Jester King release, sour ale aged in manure barrels.
La Fours
AG
quote:
quote:

We used some of our mature sour beer, brewed from our rain barrel captured water and added Kopi luwak coffee, then aged them in grand manure barrels we acquired from the rustic manure farm next door. 100% organic and gluten free.
maca1028
What's the limit? And can I use my kids as mules?
First Page Last Page
Page 524 of 1785

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.