Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,674,261 Views | 62645 Replies | Last: 16 min ago by FancyKetchup14
docaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Time for LaFours to break out the safety goggles.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
La Fours
AG
quote:
Time for LaFours to break out the safety goggles.

Exactly. It scared the **** out of me. I had just taken the cage off and was talking with a buddy when I put my hand on the neck of the bottle where the cork touches, and it shot out. I was expecting it to start gushing all over the floor, but nothing happened.
Scriffer
AG
Same thing happened to me when I opened one a few weeks back. Almost lost an eye. I never expected to need a CHL for a beer.
Jegan14
AG
The next "Enjoy By" is going to be an "Enjoy After":

http://beerpulse.com/2014/09/stone-enjoy-after-10-31-15-brett-ipa-ships-this-friday-3491/

Sounds interesting. I feel like there are way better styles to do an Enjoy After series with though. But it is Stone.
AgEng06
AG
quote:

http://beerpulse.com/2014/09/stone-enjoy-after-10-31-15-brett-ipa-ships-this-friday-3491/

Sounds interesting. I feel like there are way better styles to do an Enjoy After series with though. But it is Stone.
Coool.

I also noticed Mirror, Mirror and Not the Stoic have "Best After" dates on them as well.
Scriffer
AG
The Meltdown Thread is only 50 posts behind us now. Looks like I'll be pouring one out this evening in memory of the lost glory.
army01
AG
A lot of Deschutes Bombers have "best after" dates. The Stoic is the only one I recall not being a "Best After". I think it was La Fours who pointed out that I needed to drink it...
La Fours
AG
quote:
A lot of Deschutes Bombers have "best after" dates. The Stoic is the only one I recall not being a "Best After". I think it was La Fours who pointed out that I needed to drink it...

Yeah, I think that was me. But thinking back though, I'm sure it would have been fine to age, since it was a quad. Now I'm wishing I would have picked on up that sat around Village foods for a good year after it was released.
Jock 07
AG
Le terroir on tap today
NColoradoAG
quote:

I know ill come off as "Phischy", but, IMO, this is ****ing stupid. Don't release a ****ing beer that won't be carbed for a month. And then dont release a ****ing beer with an instruction list. This is the craft beer equivalent of the Coors light cold can.

And adding brett at bottling? That seems crazy. Either the bottles will explode from runaway fermentation. Or there won't be enough fermentables to change the beer much. There's a reason wild yeast and bacteria are always used in primary and secondary fermentation, not for bottle conditioning.

/rant
Ranger222
AG
"bottled on" and being sold in a year when ready would have been much better, but you have to have some where to store all of them if you're Stone. Won't be getting that one.
army01
AG
quote:
quote:

Yeah, I think that was me. But thinking back though, I'm sure it would have been fine to age, since it was a quad. Now I'm wishing I would have picked on up that sat around Village foods for a good year after it was released.
I never have an issue with someone pointing out that I need to drink
jetch17
AG
Dig... Was great on tap last week too

turfman80
AG
Really impressed with Smuttynose Robust Porter! Great , smooth roasted coffee and chocolate flavors with enough hop bite to give it a nice dry zing. This one is going to be a regular in the fridge this fall and winter.
Jock 07
AG
Came across this picture that I took last year at Barrelworks

jah003
S
Uhh... NColoradoAG, what's this I hear about CS doing away with the cellar reserve? And the bigger question... Will this affect the delicious CS you bring to shares?
BSD
NColoradoAG
quote:
Uhh... NColoradoAG, what's this I hear about CS doing away with the cellar reserve? And the bigger question... Will this affect the delicious CS you bring to shares?
It's true. And it's about to get a lot harder to get their beer. I now have to fight every hipster ****** in Denver. Sad, sad day for me.

Makes it easy to decide on renewing my Hoarders society membership. And I'm glad I doubled up on the DeGarde Keepers Society. Hopefully Casey starts up his society soon as well.
jock itch
quote:
And adding brett at bottling? That seems crazy. Either the bottles will explode from runaway fermentation. Or there won't be enough fermentables to change the beer much. There's a reason wild yeast and bacteria are always used in primary and secondary fermentation, not for bottle conditioning.

I hope this doesn't come off sounding like a dick, but I really couldn't disagree more. Just off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure Orval and Prairie bottle w/ Brett, so it's definitely far from "crazy". Bottle bombs are a concern sure, but that's why they make heavier bottles and there's just about zero chance a brewery like Stone would **** something like that up THAT badly.

Also there are some definite advantages IMO, especially for a commercial brewery:

1) You mentioned secondary fermentation...well that's exactly what's happening it just happens to be in the bottle. Even better it's turning what is normally a beer spoiler (extended warm storage) into a positive since the Brett can actually remain active.

2) It's a "safer" way to handle Brett in a commercial setting since you don't have to expose as many of your tanks, hoses, etc. Brett isn't the brewery bankrupting boogeyman that some brewers make it out to be, but minimizing cross-contamination risk is always just smart practice.

Assuming proper quality control, I actually strongly prefer bottling w/ Brett over any other method. 100% Brett fermentations are fun and can create some really interesting beers, but like most things with brewing there are a bunch of ways to skin the cat.
NColoradoAG
quote:
I Just off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure Orval and Prairie bottle w/ Brett, so it's definitely far from "crazy". Bottle bombs are a concern sure, but that's why they make heavier bottles and there's just about zero chance a brewery like Stone would **** something like that up THAT badly.

quote:
2) It's a "safer" way to handle Brett in a commercial setting since you don't have to expose as many of your tanks, hoses, etc. Brett isn't the brewery bankrupting boogeyman that some brewers make it out to be, but minimizing cross-contamination risk is always just smart practice.

Yes, Orval bottle conditions with brett, but for all intents and purposes they only make one beer. The infected Prairie Noirs I had this year wreaked of bottling line infection. Other mixed fermentation breweries like The Bruery and Cigar City have had problems too. Stone themselves has had problems with infection, albeit in their barrel aged stout. Perhaps crazy was the wrong word. It just seems like a strange method to me.

quote:
1) You mentioned secondary fermentation...well that's exactly what's happening it just happens to be in the bottle.

That's great. My point was why release a beer that is not ready? What if something goes wrong and all the beers are terrible? Do you just chalk it up to "we told you it was going to be an experiment"?

quote:
Even better it's turning what is normally a beer spoiler (extended warm storage) into a positive since the Brett can actually remain active.

This is gimmicky and will mislead the consumer. Some consumers will suddenly think they should age all their beer, or that beer is fine stored warm. I loved the Enjoy By marketing scheme because it brought awareness to people that hoppy beers should be bought and drank fresh. That is a very easy concept to comprehend. Cellaring beer and wild yeast strains are a whole different animal for the average consumer.

I won't buy the beer because there are several other local alternatives. Im also just a bit burned out with Stone since their debacle of a saison, the bull**** kickstarter campaign, their awful session IPA, and the lackluster coffee milk stout. This just feels like another miss in a long line of bad beers.
La Fours
AG
quote:
quote:
It's true. And it's about to get a lot harder to get their beer. I now have to fight every hipster ****** in Denver. Sad, sad day for me.

Makes it easy to decide on renewing my Hoarders society membership. And I'm glad I doubled up on the DeGarde Keepers Society. Hopefully Casey starts up his society soon as well.

So what's the reasoning they are giving for this? And I thought they built a new barrel room or moved to a bigger space that would help to increase capacity?
NColoradoAG
quote:
quote:
quote:

So what's the reasoning they are giving for this? And I thought they built a new barrel room or moved to a bigger space that would help to increase capacity?
They opened a new taproom. Capacity hasn't increased much other than adding a few more foeders and barrels. They pretty much made it sound like they didn't want to deal with the complexities of running the society and are moving towards a more traditional model. It's fine and will allow more people to try their special brews. I will just miss being able to sit on my ass and order everything in quantity and then pick up at my convenience. It'll now mean going to releases, waiting in lines, fewer bottles. Generally things I don't like to do that often, especially during football season.
La Fours
AG
Sounds like it is time to step your neck beard game up.
AggieOO
New Holland applied for TABC approval. If I can start getting Dragon's Milk in Texas, I will be one happy beer drinker!
BSD
AG
quote:
quote:

I'm just sad that I don't get to inconvenience NoCol anymore. I'm kidding. This sucks balls. I doubt I'll see much Crooked Stave after this year.
NColoradoAG
quote:
New Holland applied for TABC approval. If I can start getting Dragon's Milk in Texas, I will be one happy beer drinker!

They recently entered CO. I've picked up a couple 4 packs of dragon's milk. Not a bad beer, especially at $15.
maca1028
Aurilian lure releases this weekend
AgEng06
AG
quote:
I just saw that. Unfortunately I'll be out of town for the Arky game...
NColoradoAG
quote:

ISO, as usual
Quincey P. Morris
AG
quote:
In order to help expedite the bottle sale process, we will have a special station reserved exclusively for the sale of Aurelian Lure. The bottle limit for Aurelian Lure is one per customer per day. To help cut down on individuals exceeding the bottle limit and therefore reducing the number of people who get to enjoy Aurelian Lure, we will be applying a small, inconspicuous mark to each purchaser's wrist in semi-permanent ink. We'd prefer not to have to do this, but unfortunately the number of people who snuck through the line multiple times (sometimes wearing a disguise!) at our recent (Fn to) bottle release was quite significant.

That has Matt Chow written all over it.
jah003
S
Frickin' JK... This is my second favorite JK beer (close second to RU55). I'll be out there at some point this weekend because I just can't stop... Heck, I might even go by after work on Friday and try and head back out on Sunday.

Glad they are doing something to fix the Fen Tao disaster... Now, if we could somehow stop people from asking complete strangers for their limits...
army01
AG
I believe I read they had 400 people at there at one point, and had sold 550 bottles. Reasonable to say that some folks might have been skirting the rules a bit
La Fours
AG
quote:
quote:
In order to help expedite the bottle sale process, we will have a special station reserved exclusively for the sale of Aurelian Lure. The bottle limit for Aurelian Lure is one per customer per day. To help cut down on individuals exceeding the bottle limit and therefore reducing the number of people who get to enjoy Aurelian Lure, we will be applying a small, inconspicuous mark to each purchaser's wrist in semi-permanent ink. We'd prefer not to have to do this, but unfortunately the number of people who snuck through the line multiple times (sometimes wearing a disguise!) at our recent (Fn to) bottle release was quite significant.

That has Matt Chow written all over it.

I don't think so, he is known by a lot of the JK employees. And especially after the Snorkel incident on beeradvocate, I don't think he would risk being banned from JK all together by pulling a stunt like trying to go back through the line in disguise.
army01
AG
Chow in a disguise would be pretty funny though

dave99ag
First Page Last Page
Page 523 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.