Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,566,303 Views | 62472 Replies | Last: 11 hrs ago by jah003
Scriffer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
I say we make them indian leg wrestle at a bottleshare before a game. Then the winner can share the bottle with us all! (Loser cant drink any at all.)

In
Scriffer
AG
Just got to Westbrook. Our group is on the right side of the bar. Look for rings
NColoradoAG
Didn't see any Ags at Westbrook when we arrived around 530. Left with a nice haul though. Also hit charleston beer exchange.

Robert C. Christian
AG
Enjoying a Martin House Salty Lady. Pretty good but I prefer Real Ale's take on Gose.

Side note, any one know what sparked the Gose 'trend'? Never heard of it before this summer and now I've seen 3 breweries put them out.
AgEng06
AG
This is a really enjoyable sour...

Jock 07
AG
Haven't seen that particular Almanac here yet, but hope to get my hands on it to add to my farm to barrel collection
AgEng06
AG
It was one I shipped back from California. I wish I had gotten two now.
army01
AG
quote:
Enjoying a Martin House Salty Lady. Pretty good but I prefer Real Ale's take on Gose.

Side note, any one know what sparked the Gose 'trend'? Never heard of it before this summer and now I've seen 3 breweries put them out.

Funk is in, and it is a less common funk than Brett or fruit. That's much guess anyway.
Jock 07
AG
Yeah, Almanac's Farm to Barrel stuff is pretty strong. Their Gose isn't bad either.
La Fours
AG
quote:
Haven't seen that particular Almanac here yet, but hope to get my hands on it to add to my farm to barrel collection

It was released about a month ago in California. I should be getting one in a trade in the next couple of weeks. Plus one of the almanac Gose and a couple others. Sending him two nocturn chrysalis and some others.

Gose was kind of a forgotten beer style apparently. And in the last few years it's regained popularity.
La Fours
AG
quote:
Heading to Portland this weekend. It's mostly a cocktail, restaurant, hiking trip, but I'm trying to fit in one brewery. Any suggestions?

I'm leaning toward Cascade right now. Deschutes has a tasting room, but the actual brewery is hours away.

The Deschutes brew pub is kind of downtown. Not sure how close or far it is to Cascade. But they have brew pub only releases. I say you can't lose with either one.
La Fours
AG
quote:
I say we make them indian leg wrestle at a bottleshare before a game. Then the winner can share the bottle with us all! (Loser cant drink any at all.)

I say they do this!!
La Fours
AG
quote:
quote:

Thank you so much army01. This shiiiiit is amazing.

Glad you liked it. How is the barrel hitting?

It was good. Not too strong. But still plenty of bourbon.
Vernada
AG
Austin Beerworks 99-pack of Peacemaker.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/08/26/us-usa-texas-beer-idUSKBN0GQ28V20140826
corndog04
AG
quote:
Heading to Portland this weekend. It's mostly a cocktail, restaurant, hiking trip, but I'm trying to fit in one brewery. Any suggestions?

I'm leaning toward Cascade right now. Deschutes has a tasting room, but the actual brewery is hours away.

Wish i saw this earlier!

Deschutes in Portland is much more than a tasting room and highly recommended. They do brew a decent amount here as well, but their big system is in Bend. Honestly if I only had one stop this would probably be it. But if it were me I'd be skipping the cocktails and restaurants and focusing on beer . Many of the brew pubs actually have really good food anyway (Deschutes in particular excels here).

Cascade is great and a quick drive or bus from downtown. The Green Dragon is a great beer bar around the corner from them that is also a good stop.

If you are looking for souvenirs to bring home Belmont Station or Beer Mongers (closer to downtown) are excellent bottle shops that also have some taps. If you go to Beer Mongers also stop by Apex for one of the best draft selections in town.

Other breweries I recommend are Hair of the Dog (near downtown, extremely well respected local brewery that refuses to expand opereations), Breakside (further out, but one of the fastest growing up and coming Portland breweries), Alameda, Burnside, Commons (good farmhouse style ales). Dozens of others and most of them good . Rogue has a pub in downtown but I've always found them to be a bit overrated and over priced.

[This message has been edited by corndog04 (edited 8/30/2014 10:09a).]
BSD
AG
For PDX you can find some great options just outside downtown. I'd hit Cascade for a brewery and then Horse Brass for a bar. Second options would be Hair of the Dog ( brewery) and Green Dragon (bar). I'll second the Belmont Station rec, too. They are all pretty close together (about a mile radius) so ideally you should hit them all!

[This message has been edited by Bsd (edited 8/30/2014 12:38p).]
steve00
AG
Thanks for the tips guys. My craft cocktail fetish is worse than my beer one, so I only had time for one brewery. I hit Deschutes and it was very good. The best was the Cultivateur, which they say is only available at the brewery.

On to the cocktail bars.
corndog04
AG
Have fun! Let me know if you have any particular recommendations from what you find on the cocktail side.
Bmac04
AG
So bottle share for the game this week? I should have a 2L growler of Pliny I could bring....
jh0400
AG
If any Tine folks are looking for Contemplating Waterloo, Central Market still had 6 or so on the shelf an hour ago.

ETA: I bought one, but I'm not sure what to expect given that I can't recall ever having a barrel-aged gin. Has anyone tried it yet?

[This message has been edited by jh0400 (edited 8/30/2014 3:43p).]
Jock 07
AG
jah003
S
Conrats Scriffer... the Peach Sour is yours! Just shoot me an email and let me know how to get it to you (obviously sometime after the 12th).

Da Proof:

Scriffer guessed 28 and streetfighter2012 guessed 72.
AggieOO
Reactions to Waterloo have been positive from what I've seen. I wasn't lucky enough to get a bottle since I was out of town when it hit Austin.
jh0400
AG
Drinking an aged Jolly Pumpkin Oro courtesy of BSD. It's good ****.
Scriffer
AG
Thanks JAH!

Y'all going to tailgate for Rice? We'll be across the road on the North side of Reed.

Save some shipping that way

[This message has been edited by scriffer (edited 8/30/2014 5:14p).]
jah003
S
quote:
Thanks JAH!

Y'all going to tailgate for Rice? We'll be across the road on the North side of Reed.

Save some shipping that way

[This message has been edited by scriffer (edited 8/30/2014 5:14p).]

Yep, we'll be there. I'll shoot you a text as things get closer.
BSD
AG
quote:
I'd be interested in the Rose. Where you at in Houston?

Good news, Lucky. I found an extra in he fridge out back. It's all yours if you want it. What's your email so we can set something up?
BSD
AG
quote:
Drinking an aged Jolly Pumpkin Oro courtesy of BSD. It's good ****.

Good to hear! I was wondering how those would age. I have a few more in my back fridge.
jh0400
AG
I can't believe it's only a 92 on Beer Advocate. IMO, it's almost the pefect mix of yeast, spice, sour, and funk.
AgEng06
AG
Speaking of the peach sour. It's pretty solid...

streetfighter2012
AG
Enjoy the beer Scriffer! And thanks for sharing your spoils JAH
cc10106
quote:
If any Tine folks are looking for Contemplating Waterloo, Central Market still had 6 or so on the shelf an hour ago.

ETA: I bought one, but I'm not sure what to expect given that I can't recall ever having a barrel-aged gin. Has anyone tried it yet?

D&Q had a bunch left as of Friday evening. I'm balls deep in one right now and don't want it to end. The gin barrel is working, for me anyway.

If anybody wants one let me know if i can help ya out.

[This message has been edited by cc10106 (edited 8/30/2014 8:50p).]
jh0400
AG
quote:
quote:

D&Q had a bunch left as of Friday evening. I'm balls deep in one right now and don't want it to end. The gin barrel is working, for me anyway.

If anybody wants one let me know if i can help ya out.

[This message has been edited by cc10106 (edited 8/30/2014 8:50p).]

The beer has me considering picking up a bottle of the Waterloo Antique gin. Slight derail, but has anyone tried it?
Scriffer
AG
Thanks Streetfighter.

And seriously, if anyone can get their mitts on a Waterloo, let me know, and we can cut a deal.
CollinAB
AG
Today has been fantastic. Not drinking anything super special. In fact I've been mixing in a lot of Lone Star. But man am I glad to see football back.
First Page Last Page
Page 510 of 1785

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.