Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,566,710 Views | 62474 Replies | Last: 26 min ago by txag2008
La Fours
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Picked up a Pumking and Warlock from Southern Tier tonight. Do these stay available all fall or are they limited release?

I'm pretty sure they are limited releases.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Damn. I better grab some more then before they sell out. It seems a little early for there to be pumpkin beers dropping already.
Ranger222
AG
They're both seasonal. Had a similar release last year (mid-July) and was available throughout the fall.

Not sure why anyone wants to buy pumpkin ales this early, but I guess they sale.
NColoradoAG
quote:
It seems a little early for there to be pumpkin beers dropping already.

It's been this way for several years now. Never really understood the pumpkin beer thing. There's only a few goods ones, and a ton of terrible ones. I guess it pays to get them out early so they can sit around until Christmas. Brew scheduling probably has a lot to do with it too.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I hadn't really been out there on the hunt until fall of last year so I guess I hadn't paid much attention to it before. Only other one I got before is Pumpkinator. I'm a fan of the pumpkin beers.
army01
AG
quote:
Never really understood the pumpkin beer thing. There's only a few goods ones, and a ton of terrible ones.

One of the worst, to me, is DFH Punkin' Ale. Turrible.
jah003
S
I hate Pumpkin beers with a pretty serious passion. I don't understand the love for Pumpking (or any others for that matter)...
I've yet to have a Pumpkin beer I enjoyed, but I always try a few different ones each year just in case. Now the fact that they are already on the shelf and its 100 degrees out makes me hate them even more.
NColoradoAG
Upslope makes a good one. You guys will probably get that one down there this year.
NColoradoAG
quote:
One of the worst, to me, is DFH Punkin' Ale. Turrible.

I've always thought it was average. People go ape**** for that one though. It doesn't even last through the weekend when it hits shelves here.

I think people who really like pumpkin beers are the same ones who annoy me about complaining about weather. "It's so hot. I hate this weather. I can't wait until it's fall. I really want a pumpkin beer." Fast forward to February "It's so cold. I hate this weather. I can't wait until it's spring. I want a nice light session ale." BLAH BLAH BLAH. Move to ****ing Florida and drink berlinerweiss year round if you hate seasons so much.

[This message has been edited by NColoradoAG (edited 8/11/2014 1:27p).]
NColoradoAG
Lambic group order email is out. Let me know if you didn't get it.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I'll have to check that out. The Ales are good but I'm a bigger fan of the stouts. I'm probably looking forward to the Christmas stouts about as much. I like the spices a lot.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I am always looking forward to winter. I never understand the people that can't wait for summer. It's obscenely hot in Texas in summer and they want that for some reason. Makes no sense to me. I love Texas but I think I'd like it better if for weather purposes it was shifted a little bit north.
maca1028
First beer haul in a while...
La Fours
AG
Nice. I am looking forward to trying the 011. 
jh0400
AG
quote:
Lambic group order email is out. Let me know if you didn't get it.

I was out of town at a wedding this past weekend and missed the sign up. Username at gmail if there's still room.
Jock 07
AG
So here's a rookie question. With all this talk about lambics I got to thinking, what's the difference between a lambic and a sour, is it the use of fruit? I know sours are basically made by adding Brett lacto or pedeo but don't know if a sour is a subset of lambics or what.
62strat
AG
At this point, a sour is not a style really anymore, since Americans are souring anything and everything. (a stout, an ipa, a farmhouse ale etc..)

A lambic is a subgenre of the traditional (BJCP) 'sour' category (along with berliner, oud bruin, flanders) which are belgian styles, berliner german.

A lambic is spontaneously fermented and blended. A kriek is a cherry lambic.

[This message has been edited by 62strat (edited 8/11/2014 3:32p).]
NColoradoAG
Strat is right in that "sour" has just become a catch all term for anything that is sour.

Lambic is like Champagne, in that it must be produced in Belgium, the Brussels area to be specific. Lambic must also be spontaneously fermented, meaning that wort is exposed to local micro flora in some sort of open vessel. Coolships are the most common, but sometimes wort is placed directly into an open oak barrel. A coolship is just a wide, shallow open tank where the wort cools and collects wild yeast and bacteria. This is why some people prefer Cantillon to Drie Fonteinen, or Oud Beersel to Boons. There is a distinct terrior to each brewhouse. Lambic is also made with aged hops so there are very few alpha acids left, yet the compounds beneficial to age remain.

Some places like Tilquin and Hanssens only blend already brewed lambic from Drie Fonteinen and Cantillon.

Lambic then has its subcategories: Gueuze is a blend of 1, 2, and 3 year lambics; Kriek is 1-2 year old lambic refermented with Cherries; Framboise is refermented with Raspberries; other fruited styles are also blended from the various producers.

[This message has been edited by NColoradoAG (edited 8/11/2014 3:35p).]
NColoradoAG
quote:
I was out of town at a wedding this past weekend and missed the sign up. Username at gmail if there's still room.

We are at 10 and have reached what I consider to be a max order. Not everyone confirmed yet so you're first alternate if anyone opts out.
Hub05
AG
quote:
Move to ****ing Florida and drink berlinerweiss year round if you hate seasons so much.

I still have no idea how/why people (at least in this part of the country) started referring to fruited berliners as Florida-weisses when there isn't a single florida fruited berliner sold in a bottle. Is it too much to ask that if you coin a style, that you actually produce it? /rant
NColoradoAG
Agree, Floridaweiss is dumb and completely contrived. Just like the minor movement in Colorado for the "Wild Colorado IPA"
tremble
AG
Prairie Hop, good shiz
TejasAg
AG
My sister is on a trip to Colorado, and I asked her the bring back some Colorado beer not available in Texas. Any recommendations on some IPAs or stouts she should look for.
SecoKid
AG

Got this in a trade last week with a guy from Minneapolis. No born on date but he said it was a week old. Don't drink many IPAs but I highly recommend it, one of the best IPAs I've had.
steve00
AG
One of the better Allagash I've had. Almost veers into sourness, but not all the way.

Jegan14
AG
It looks like Austin just got some Epic Brewing. I'm definitely looking forward to trying Big Bad Baptist. I've heard mixed reviews about the Brainless variants.
Jason_Ag98
AG
Mikkeller Beer Geek Vanilla Shake tonight. Good stuff.
Jock 07
AG
Yeah I wasn't a huge fan of the brainless tasters I had at the brewery in Denver. I did, however, think their elder brett was pretty decent for the price
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
quote:
It looks like Austin just got some Epic Brewing. I'm definitely looking forward to trying Big Bad Baptist.

Texas is getting Epic? That's awesome. Any word on Houston? Had my first Big Bad Baptist a couple of months ago. It was great.
62strat
AG
I like the epic brainless series. They just expanded operations to denver this year I think too. That's quite a bit of growth they are seeing.
La Fours
AG
So any of you tine folks want to grab me a bottle or two of FUN 011? Supposedly BCS isn't going to get any.
La Fours
AG
Now I'm hearing conflicting reports on if we will get any here.
Jock 07
AG
streetfighter2012
AG
At Petrol Station for the Firestone Walker anniversary. Drinking a 2012 sucuba and a parabola.

[This message has been edited by Streetfighter2012 (edited 8/12/2014 8:01p).]
62strat
AG
Do they have 2014? Do a side by side.
First Page Last Page
Page 497 of 1785

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.