Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,701,679 Views | 62693 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by swampstander
jah003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Any fellow "beer threaders" have brewery/beer recommendations for Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia?

My parents are taking a 1 week vacation down the coast and I'm looking for some good recommendations of local brews they can bring back for me...
Pahdz
anywhere else in Houston have the Alaskan, or just the places listed on the previous page? i'm headed in from OKC this weekend and i'm gonna take my cousin to go grab some (he used to bring a case back from his yearly fishing trips up there, he had not heard until i told him it had arrived in the Tine)
aggiespartan
AG
Deschutes chainbreaker ipa... Delicious
713nervy
AG
Deep Ellum IPA & DIPA...whoa buddy yum. This mulight be great beer to trade when heading to Portland in April
army01
AG
Is Deep Ellum bottling now?
713nervy
AG
Draft for now, but they were great. DIPA was 9.7% and I feel like **** run over twice.

Also, Bitter Belgian by Saint A was just ok.
p-wonk01
AG
quote:
Is Deep Ellum bottling now?

Actually they got their new line last weekend and I believe may have some released very soon. I enjoyed their Rye Pils ALOT!
p-wonk01
AG
My haul back from the honeymoon in Cali
jetch17
AG
tasty
p-wonk01
AG
quote:
Any fellow "beer threaders" have brewery/beer recommendations for Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia?

My parents are taking a 1 week vacation down the coast and I'm looking for some good recommendations of local brews they can bring back for me...

I've only been in the area a few times, so I admittedly don't know a ton of breweries out there. I do plan on changing that with the upcoming SEC move . Here is a list of a few of the ones I like from my visit to Atlanta and Knoxville:

Terrapin (Athen, GA) - I loved the Hop Karma Brown IPA
Highland Brewing Co. (Asheville, NC) - Enjoyed their Oatmeal Porter, but they have several good brews
Sweetwater (Atlanta, GA)
Duck-Rabbit (GA) - The Amber Ale I had was "eh", but I can't speak to the other stuff.

*Note* - Asheville, NC is a town I want to visit someday. They have a tons of berweries and apparently a great beer scene for the South.

I'd go here and search the states/cities your parents will be in. The people on the site usually a good call on brews http://beeradvocate.com/beerfly/
p-wonk01
AG
army01...I just saw this on the Sigels website. They are having a texasfest (looks free) with a lot of Texas brews and spirits to try. I mention it because I've heard Deep Ellum's first ever bottles (Dreamcatcher DIPA) may be available for sale.

http://www.sigels.com/corp/ViewEvent.aspx?EID=26
62strat
AG
My bro lives in Alamo, CA. That's ~30 miles from san fran CBD, but it's the polar opposite of Houston's 'OTL' cookie cutter homes and strip centers, like katy or sugarland. San fran has no such concept.

Anyway, here's a pic of the 'retail' part of his little 'dive bar' (his words.. yet they have 16 taps, nothing I've ever had or even seen in Tx).
Go to the bar, have a couple pints, get a solid buzz, then blow $50 for beer at home. (Prices are similar as any other retail option.) Sounds dangerous!

I'm sure TABC would have their panties in a wad over a concept like this hah.

[This message has been edited by 62strat (edited 3/8/2012 4:18p).]
spadilly
jetch17
cpscAG06
AG
DFH Burton Baton and Fort. My head just exploded.
DonaldFDraper
AG
My friend is going to Denver for the week. She said she'd bring me back some beers. What should I tell her to grab that unique to Denver/Colorado?
jah003
S
quote:
quote:

I've only been in the area a few times, so I admittedly don't know a ton of breweries out there. I do plan on changing that with the upcoming SEC move . Here is a list of a few of the ones I like from my visit to Atlanta and Knoxville:

Terrapin (Athen, GA) - I loved the Hop Karma Brown IPA
Highland Brewing Co. (Asheville, NC) - Enjoyed their Oatmeal Porter, but they have several good brews
Sweetwater (Atlanta, GA)
Duck-Rabbit (GA) - The Amber Ale I had was "eh", but I can't speak to the other stuff.

*Note* - Asheville, NC is a town I want to visit someday. They have a tons of berweries and apparently a great beer scene for the South.

I'd go here and search the states/cities your parents will be in. The people on the site usually a good call on brews http://beeradvocate.com/beerfly/

Thanks for the advice! I did a little searching on BA earlier and had these on my list:
Foothills (NC)
Olde Hickory (NC)
Coast (SC)
Sweetwater (GA)

I will certainly add yours to the list.
62strat
AG
well, pliny for starters.

so pissed denver just did pliny the younger tappings all throughout denver like a week or two ago, and I'm going sat.. just missed it.
jah003
S
quote:
My friend is going to Denver for the week. She said she'd bring me back some beers. What should I tell her to grab that unique to Denver/Colorado?

Anything from Great Divide! Don't know what they have up here that isn't in TX, but there seems to be quite a bit from looking at their website. http://greatdivide.com/
aggiespartan
AG
quote:
Anything from Great Divide!

I wouldn't necessarily say ANYTHING. I've had a couple I didn't care for.
NColoradoAG
BSD, how is the Deadnaught? Thinking of trading some elder next go around for some of that.

quote:

Elder probably won't be around. It just rolled through two weeks ago and comes around about every five weeks. Still plenty of all the 'tions around from Russian River.

2012 Sucaba from Firestone Walker just hit the shelves A New Belgium/Lost Abbey sour will be dropping soon. Foot Print from Odell is an interesting small batch. Deviant Dales from Oskar Blues just his shelves. Not sure how long that'll take to get down there.

What styles do you like?
duck79
AG
Deviant Dales is right around the corner in Texas. Got samples at the office. All 16oz cans.

[This message has been edited by Duck79 (edited 3/8/2012 9:34p).]
Pahdz
whatever that Left Hand Ambidextrous that's out is damned good. i wasn't paying attention to what my bartender at Tapwerks was telling me, but i enjoyed it
Pahdz
double post

[This message has been edited by Pahdz (edited 3/8/2012 10:00p).]
BSD
AG
quote:
BSD, how is the Deadnaught?

I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I stay dry except for one night on weekends these days but tomorrow night is a DIPA tasting at my house so we'll see what happens.

I have two Sucubas on the way. Can't wait to try 'em.
DonaldFDraper
AG
quote:
What styles do you like?

Honestly like everything that's good. Ha. Wheat beers don't do much for me.

Main styles I gravitate towards are IPAs, Imperial Stouts, Porters, and Barleywines.
NColoradoAG

Berliner Weisse from Crabtree. Right here in my hometown nestled in sleepy northern Colorado.

This is a funky little Weisse beer. Quite sour with a nice mellow finish. Perfect for the day we had up here. This beer won several awards this last year, including a silver at GABF
NColoradoAG
quote:
Main styles I gravitate towards are IPAs, Imperial Stouts, Porters, and Barleywines.

IPA - I would suggest 1-2 four packs of Myrcenary. A couple bombers of Double Jack from Firestone Walker.

Barrleywine - A couple bombers of Old Ruffian if that's something that doesn't get to TX often. A Sucaba is a great BA barleywine. That is easy to find.

Saisons/funky/sours - you can get some of the RR stuff, the beer posted above by me, or some of the crooked stave 750's. Funkwerks is putting out some great saisons. They have a small batch barrel aged Saison out called dark prophet. A few bottles can still be had.

Stouts - Not a lot of worthwhile local imperial stouts that you don't get down there. However, Ive been drinking the **** out of BORIS from Hoppin Frog out of OH. It's at all the better places. I would suggest a Serpents Stout from Lost Abbey if you've never had it.

Those are the easy to find goodies I can think of off the top of my head.

[This message has been edited by NColoradoAG (edited 3/8/2012 11:56p).]
DonaldFDraper
AG
Thanks NColoradoAG.

I sent her a list so we'll see what she comes back with.
bonfirewillburn
AG
UPSLOPE! VERY TASTY stout

Odell's - get it all!

Left Hand - Pepper Porter VERY interesting

62strat
AG
Will I go to hell for this?

bonfirewillburn
AG
Likely, bring some ice!
gordo97
AG
Anyway, here's a pic of the 'retail' part of his little 'dive bar' (his words.. yet they have 16 taps, nothing I've ever had or even seen in Tx).
Go to the bar, have a couple pints, get a solid buzz, then blow $50 for beer at home.

that looks awesome...... i found a place in san fran that seems similar..... i'll be visiting it in 2 weeks

http://www.citybeerstore.com/
62strat
AG
yep.. looks to be same kind of deal. Looks like they're called "retail and tasting bar". That's a kickass concept.. don't think we'll see that in Tx. anytime soon.

Dang that place you linked has DFH b*tches brew on tap. Score
That place is about 1 mile from toronado pub. I was on a mission to drink pliny when i went to san fran in 2010, and they had it on tap.

[This message has been edited by 62strat (edited 3/9/2012 1:45p).]
LCE
AG
How is that place any different from Austin's Whip-In or Hills and Dales in San Antonio?

Whip In has 72 beers on tap and a kick ass retail shop. Great food also. Incredible tap selection.

http://www.whipin.com/drinksbeers.htm
First Page Last Page
Page 49 of 1792

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.