Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,640,805 Views | 62607 Replies | Last: 24 min ago by SoTxAg
aggiespartan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Looks like they're called "retail and tasting bar". That's a kickass concept.

There are a few of those here. They will also let you buy a bottle of beer, open it, and drink it on site.
gordo97
AG
Dang that place you linked has DFH b*tches brew on tap. Score
That place is about 1 mile from toronado pub. I was on a mission to drink pliny when i went to san fran in 2010, and they had it on tap.

thanks for the pointers... i'll make sure i partake in those and also add that pub to the list of places

[This message has been edited by gordo97 (edited 3/9/2012 2:33p).]
62strat
AG
looks no different. Never seen anything in Houston like it.

I take that back, rockwell tavern, they are just a bar/grill with beer on tap and in bottles, and you can buy bottles to go. But they aren't retail prices, they are $3-$5 ea, same as if you drink it there.
quote:
There are a few of those here. They will also let you buy a bottle of beer, open it, and drink it on site.
Is that bottle retail price? or bar price? Cause i Know you can't go to Kroger, buy a beer, then go to deli, buy food, and open beer to drink. It must be a different license, or, it's like rockwell where the bottle is not retail price.
I also have never seen (again, aside from a bar like rockwell) a place (in tx) where you can buy 1 beer. Grocers and specs, you have to make a six pack.. and they mean it literally, it must be 6 beers.

I guess I assumed with the ridiculous rules and regulations TABC has, that this concept wouldn't fly.

[This message has been edited by 62strat (edited 3/9/2012 2:46p).]
LCE
AG
Hills and Dales in SA will let you take the draft beer to go. Tap to plastic cup and out the door...

Their bottle prices are sky high though.
62strat
AG
OK well that's just like rockwells, you can get growlers (like just about anywhere in texas), and buy a single bottle to go, but it's not retail price, it's bar price.

So I'm willing to bet TABC doesn't allow a license like I originally described: drink on site, and/or buy retail
aggiespartan
AG
quote:
Is that bottle retail price? or bar price?

they sell you the beer for retail price then charge you a opening fee. don't remember how much...but I think it's like a dollar. they don't serve bottles in the "bar area" (although you can walk around and shop with your open beer) so I'm not sure what the "bar price" would be.

[This message has been edited by aggiespartan (edited 3/9/2012 2:53p).]
AggieOO
Whip-In is one of my favorite places.
p-wonk01
AG
quote:
Odell's - get it all!

+1 for me. I heard their main brewer moved to Texas this year to start a brewery in the Austin area (or something). One of the brewers from Sam Adams just moved here to start Revolver brewery. I believe the time has finally come due to the taste for craft beer budding in our state....now all we have to do is educate the TABC and archaic code.
DaveHimself
AG
quote:
I also have never seen (again, aside from a bar like rockwell) a place (in tx) where you can buy 1 beer. Grocers and specs, you have to make a six pack.. and they mean it literally, it must be 6 beers.

You can do this at World Market (buy a single bottle for $1.99)
bonfirewillburn
AG
quote:
now all we have to do is educate the TABC and archaic code.

http://openthetaps.org/
Jock 07
AG
Little Friday afternoon Stone; Can't ever go wrong with anything from Stone imo

Pahdz
Sugarland Saucer out of Alaskan Amber, we even called before we headed out and they said they still had it
62strat
AG
man jock that's some hella clutter you got there on that counter! Organize that sh*t
bonfirewillburn
AG
Busch light......
Green Fairy
AG
Having Collaboration not Litigation by Avery/RRB. Basically a blend of both their Salvation brews.
BSD
AG
I thought RRBC Salvation was a damn fine beer on its own. I wish I could have had the collaboration when it was on tap at Petrol.
Jock 07
AG
It's pretty bad; gotta clear up some room in the beer fridge
NColoradoAG
Looks like Im not the only one stock piling Bigfoot
NColoradoAG
And I just had a Stone IPA. I can only buy one or two at a time. It goes down way too smooth.
Green Fairy
AG
quote:
I thought RRBC Salvation was a damn fine beer on its own. I wish I could have had the collaboration when it was on tap at Petrol.

I picked up the bottle I'm drinking at Specs at Old Farm/Westheimer. I just happened to stumble upon it when I was in there earlier today. They still had a few others...I'm tempted to go back and snag another one.
Marooned_n_Aggieland
Beat this beer threaders

Left to right;
Cordillera Blanca
Widdershins
Cocoa Moi'e
Heavy Horse
Mogul Madness
aggiespartan
AG
having one of these right now
BSD
AG
quote:
Beat this beer threaders

OK, I'll try...

DIPA night!

My favorites in reverse order, #8-5 (left to right):

And #4-1 (with Dreadnaght and Pliny in a tie for the top spot):

St Arnolds had a strong finish in this battle!
aggiespartan
AG
BSD, I don't know if you like Hair of the Dog Blue Dot, but they had cases of it at the store we go to tonight.
hbc07
AG
i saw racer x tonight and was thinking about getting it, but i didn't. /coolstorybro

instead i got this:
NColoradoAG
BSD, was that still the 2/6/12 batch of Elder? Surprised with Double Jack at #5. Thats a great beer! Racer X hasn't shown up in CO yet.

[This message has been edited by NColoradoAG (edited 3/9/2012 11:55p).]
BSD
AG
quote:
BSD, I don't know if you like Hair of the Dog Blue Dot, but they had cases of it at the store we go to tonight.

I'm a big fan! I still have a few bottles here that I need to drink. With something like 78 bottles having arrived this week, I really need to get to work!
jah003
S
Headed to the local specs today to restock the beer fridge! Out with the winter brews and in with the spring (well... I might pick up an RIS or two...).
BSD
AG
quote:
BSD, was that still the 2/6/12 batch of Elder? Surprised with Double Jack at #5. Thats a great beer! Racer X hasn't shown up in CO yet.

Yes, that is the Feb bottling that I got at the brewery last month. They are still drinking great. The Double Jack was very good and in this lineup, I don't think #5 is a bad placing at all, as all beers except one were top notch. the Sam Adams just didn't come close to the others and was a distant #8.

HBC, if you like DIPAs, you must try the Racer X.
BSD
AG
This arrived last night but I haven't tried it yet.

LCE
AG
I bought two cases of bigfoot. Watched some guy about 5 years ago buy 17 cases of Bigfoot from central market. Dude loved his bigfoot
Jock 07
AG
Did anyone else think this years bigfoot was a bit more hoppy than previous vintages
turfman80
AG
BSD, if that Zombie Dust is fresh, you will be blown away! What was your final verdict on Endeavor? I am liking it more and more with each tasting.

Tonight I will be enjoying Heady Topper for the first time.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Im up in Oregon. Went to a beer store this afternoon and felt like a kid in a candy shop.

Headed to Rogue either tomorrow or Monday
BSD
AG
quote:
BSD, if that Zombie Dust is fresh, you will be blown away! What was your final verdict on Endeavor? I am liking it more and more with each tasting.

Tonight I will be enjoying Heady Topper for the first time.

The Zombie Dust is fresh and I had one tonight after an Alpha King. Wow! That is good stuff! With that and Dreadnaught, I'm beginning to be a huge 3 Floyds fan.

I thought Endeavour was very good. It wasn't Pliny/Dreadnaught/Heady Topper good but it strongly held its own. For an easy to get DIPA, I'll be buying more.

My Heady Topper gets here next week. I've only had it once and it was fantastic! I can't wait til next DIPA night so I can taste it side by side with the others.
First Page Last Page
Page 50 of 1789

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.