Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,676,118 Views | 62647 Replies | Last: 9 hrs ago by maca1028
Head Ninja In Charge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Anything in Maui worth seeking out?

Maui Brewing Company and Kahului Whole Foods.
jah003
S
Tonight was a good beer night...

(Sorry about the photobucket link)
docaggie
AG
Enjoying a little Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale tonight.
Saw their barleywine at Specs today too.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BSD
AG
quote:
quote:
Anything in Maui worth seeking out?

Maui Brewing Company and Kahului Whole Foods.

Agreed. The Maui brewing Company has a brewpub with decent food and a lot of beers that are only available at the pub. They also serve taster flights so you can try them all.
La Fours
AG
Jester King at it again. Sonofa*****.

http://jesterkingbrewery.com/introducing-jester-king-detritivore
jah003
S
quote:
Jester King at it again. Sonofa*****.

http://jesterkingbrewery.com/introducing-jester-king-detritivore

It's gotten to a point where I just go to JK, drop my wallet on the table, and say "how much?".

I'm not too terribly worried about getting this beer. It's basically a Cherry version of La Vie (which was good, but not my favorite).
La Fours
AG
I loved la vie. I'm assuming I'll like this one too.
maca1028
They need to open a tasting room in Houston. Actually...no they don't
docaggie
AG
Yeah, I saw that about JK.
I'm planning to go by there in a couple of weeks. I've got to stay a night in Austin for a maintenance of certification test early the next morning, so I'll most likely be running out to JK the night before. If it's still available, I'll give it a whirl.

I'm really looking forward to trying the apricot one they've just barrelled.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
gordo97
AG
I ran across Deep Ellum's Numb Comfort barleywine and decide to get a bottle.... Anyone try it yet? Opinions?
jah003
S
quote:

That'll be Aurelian Lure. Honestly, my favorite JK beer made thus far. However, it was near impossible to get batch 1. Should be a heck of lot more this time around. JK has said it's about 2-4 months out. I'll go full hoard mode when it does come out.

[This message has been edited by jah003 (edited 7/8/2014 5:20p).]
jh0400
AG
My wife is in Austin this week for work. Is there anything local outside of Jester King that she should seek out for me?
AgEng06
AG
quote:
I'm planning to go by there in a couple of weeks. I've got to stay a night in Austin for a maintenance of certification test early the next morning, so I'll most likely be running out to JK the night before. If it's still available, I'll give it a whirl.

Just FYI, they are only open Fri-Sun afternoons/evenings (sometimes Thurs on a holiday weekend).
jah003
S
quote:
My wife is in Austin this week for work. Is there anything local outside of Jester King that she should seek out for me?

Might still be some ABW heavy machinery Half IPA hanging around... If so, that would be worth picking up. Not sure how far H&G Zoe has made it outside of Austin, but it's certainly worth picking up as well. If you can do growlers, you've opened up a ton more option.
Jock 07
AG
quote:
quote:

Just FYI, they are only open Fri-Sun afternoons/evenings (sometimes Thurs on a holiday weekend).

This is why I haven't been able to get by there yet. I'm hoping to have time on the 25th and might swing by. From the word I think I remember reading here is that I shouldn't expect anymore of their good stuff like boxers showing back up here?
jah003
S
quote:
This is why I haven't been able to get by there yet. I'm hoping to have time on the 25th and might swing by. From the word I think I remember reading here is that I shouldn't expect anymore of their good stuff like boxers showing back up here?

Boxers, Funk Metal, RU55, etc. has kind of taken the place of Noble King, Commerical Suicide, Das, etc. So, I think you'll still see those beers pop up from time to time. There's just really no way to know what's going to be on their bottles to go list from week to week.
NoneGiven
AG
quote:

jah's suggestions are good. Saw the half IPA at HEB on 51st this Sunday. Probably still plenty there.

I would add Hops and Grain Green House if you can find it (not likely)

Send her to Sunrise on Anderson and ask the guys there.
Kyle98
AG
Picked up a Prairie Funky Gold Mosaic tonight, looking forward to it.
La Fours
AG
Finally!! I'm gonna have to get more.

My haul from the Carolinas.

[This message has been edited by la fours (edited 7/8/2014 11:09p).]
defroach
My beer cellar has reached it's upper limits now thanks to JK. I am pushing around 400 beers aging (all of which can be aged) sitting in there. Them releasing beers like crazy has got it so I constantly have messages on BeerAdvocate and reddit wanting to do more beer trading.

So, I have gotten to the point where I just call up friends and tell them to come over and help me drink my beer. i do a bottle share and I tell them not to bring anything.

Someone told me I have a problem, and I am starting to think they are right.

Either way, JK has been on fire lately with these releases. Provenance 3 should be coming out in a week as well.

With all of that said, I am flying up to Boston in 10 days, and driving up to Burlington, VT for a day for brewery tours. Then off to Hill Farmstead the next day. Followed by Portland, ME for some other breweries. Then back to Boston to finish them off.

I may or may not die. But, one less of the "big" breweries off my list to visit. Too bad the Alchemist is no longer open for tours, though.
Jock 07
AG
quote:
So, I think you'll still see those beers pop up from time to time. There's just really no way to know what's going to be on their bottles to go list from week to week.

Yea I was more talmbout not seeing them distributed up here. But we'll see I guess. IIRC crooked stave are the JK distributors up here.
Jason_Ag98
AG
Mammoth Brewing 395 IPA tonight - double IPA brewed with juniper berries and sage. It's...interesting. Not sure I'm a fan of the juniper berries and sage.
maca1028
I'm not going to make this, but here is the link to sign up for the lottery for tickets to Hill Farmsteads fest in August if anyone is interested.
http://www.ticketalternative.com/Events/28225.aspx
BQ08
AG
quote:
Finally!! I'm gonna have to get more.

My haul from the Carolinas.

[This message has been edited by la fours (edited 7/8/2014 11:09p).]

The gose is phenomenal. I've been drinking a lot of grapefruit and lemon shandy from traveler beer from Vermont. Good stuff.
The Beer and I
Opened up my Odell's Footprint. Definitely an interesting beer. I like it, but not sure if I'd get it again. The grapefruit really comes through with some of the spicy chile afterwards.
turfman80
AG
Loaded up on the new 16oz.4-packs when in Missouri last week. Here's to Bell's arriving in Texas sometime soon, as has been rumored. Sometime all you need is a rock-solid IPA!!

Kyle98
AG
quote:
Here's to Bell's arriving in Texas sometime soon

Yes please! I haven't had Hopslam, but Two Hearted is up there on my list!
defroach
Heh...Bell's won't be here anytime soon. It has been rumored for years.

I say this with reasonable certainty that it won't be here in the next year.
turfman80
AG
Blasphemy!!!
62strat
AG
I've got about 100 beers in the cellar.. and I started in Feb...

Don't you dare say you have a problem!

I had said it a couple pages back.. about how for a brewery to distribute to a new state, 1 of 2 things has to happen: production capacity gets increased a lot, or they cut current clients.

I happen to read an article on Odell's in a fort collins magazine spotlighting several FC breweries. Doug mentioned Odell's increased capacity by 30% just so they could distribute to a new state.. TX.

So just remember that when hoping for your fav. brew to come to TX (or whatever state you live in). It isn't quite so easy as it may seem. It's not like trying to get into most states that have a fraction of the population.
Jock 07
AG
Hopslam is good ****, haven't had it in a couple years though
Hub05
AG
Considering cost and availability, Lagunitas sucks > hopslam
Jock 07
AG
I respectfully disagree, however Sucks is still good.
BSD
AG
I'd buttchug both all day long.

Wait. What?
NColoradoAG
quote:
Considering cost and availability, Lagunitas sucks > hopslam

Agree
First Page Last Page
Page 478 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.