Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,676,918 Views | 62649 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by steve00
bmc13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/17/craft-beer-names_n_4110037.html
jetch17
AG
shoot your hot ropes deep inside of it
EaglePassAg08
AG
I keep forgetting this thread exists over here.

Any of you *******s on BA/BT?

Also whoever got the White Chocolate, you better drink that soon if it is this years batch. Infection issues will make that beer pretty bad the longer you wait.
NColoradoAG
2013 white chocolate is terrible. Glad they offered refunds on that crap.
NColoradoAG

[This message has been edited by ncoloradoag (edited 1/17/2014 4:34p).]
BSD
AG
Good to know. I'll kick that white chocolate out to my Crooked Stave trustee as a thank you gift.
NColoradoAG
Maybe they'll give me another $30 for it.
Sooner Born
quote:
2013 white chocolate is terrible. Glad they offered refunds on that crap.

Speaking of that...it's shocking how many bad beers there are out there. At beer festivals, you sometimes wonder who green lighted a certain beer and what the hell were they thinking.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Bad beer in terms of infection or just a ****ty recipe? Most often new/small breweries can't afford the loss by dumping a batch. So they put it out anyway knowing it will sell eventually.

Infections tend to happen more due to the varability in barrels or with sour programs. New Belgium flash pasturizes everything they make which keeps their bottling line clean to avoid what happened at Cigar City. However, those beers won't continue to develop in the bottle other than standard aging that happens with all beer.

In terms of just average or crappy craft breweries, yes there are a ton of them. There are a half dozen really crappy breweries in San Diego that people just scratch their heads at wondering how on earth they're still around and in business. Another dozen average breweries making beer...nothing fantastic, nothing ****ty. Just average beer.

Do you have examples?
Sooner Born
Definitely not infection, just ****ty beers. I'm not good with names but I can remember pouring out at least 10 beers at the 2012 GABF. I have a pretty open mind...I will drink almost anything and like it. But I can remember beers with just tasting off...not infected but not balanced or with some weird flavor profile that was just bad....not just my opinion either but a whole group.

Happened at the All Pints North fest here in Minnesota too. More forgiveable since the craft brew boom is in it's infancy here.

I just wonder who on earth thought some of those beers were good for drinking?
AggieOO
You were probably drinking sours.
BSD
AG
Or St Arnold's.
Sooner Born
Definitely not sours. I love those.
MW03
AG
Anyone has southern tier live?
Jock 07
AG
quote:
New Belgium flash pasturizes everything they make which keeps their bottling line clean to avoid what happened at Cigar City. However, those beers won't continue to develop in the bottle other than standard aging that happens with all beer.

I was told that boulevard does this with, at least, their BBQ

[This message has been edited by Jock 07 (edited 1/17/2014 8:14p).]
maca1028
quote:
Or St Arnold's.

maca1028
Picked up a ranger creek small batch 7. Anyone had this yet?
AggieOO
be interest to know. their first two small batch were complete ass. like, i poured them out b/c they were so bad. I've been VERY reluctant to give them another shot.
The Beer and I
I liked Southern Tier Live a lot. As for the Ranger Creek, I had the same experience. But I've heard the last two were good, maybe I need to give it another shot.

I went to Whole Foods today to try to get Victory Hop Ranch, but they were sold out. They did have some 8 day old Sculpin, so it wasn't a complete loss.
maca1028
Well, I probably won't drink it tonight but I will give a review when I do
Professor Frick
AG
Damnation, then Weihenstephaner
Sooner Born
quote:
be interest to know. their first two small batch were complete ass. like, i poured them out b/c they were so bad. I've been VERY reluctant to give them another shot.

That's exactly my point in my earlier post. I get that small breweries can't afford much waste but a bad batch can go a long way in ruining a reputation.
AggieOO
i get your point, but I actually liked a couple of Ranger Creek's normal beers, I just won't touch their small batch. And I can excuse one bad beer, but it was two in a row from that series.
CollinAB
AG
Stone Enjoy By 02.14.14. I've enjoyed this series a lot.
BSD
AG
jah003,

Can you hit me up on email when you get a chance? I can't find yours. I've got a guy in NorCal that is looking for a possible JK hookup.

[This message has been edited by Bsd (edited 1/17/2014 10:12p).]
AggieOO
i have nothing to do with the previous post, but reminded me that i'm FINALLY hitting up JK on sunday. Never been out to the brewery.
BSD
AG

My bad. The offer goes to you too if you ever need any NorCal beers (Drakes, RRBC, etc). I want to help out those who helped me out last summer so this is for you too.
MW03
AG
Goose island 6th Day is pretty good as well.
jah003
S
quote:
jah003,

Can you hit me up on email when you get a chance? I can't find yours. I've got a guy in NorCal that is looking for a possible JK hookup.

[This message has been edited by Bsd (edited 1/17/2014 10:12p).]

Yea, no problem. I'll shoot you an email sometime Saturday. Yours should still be in my inbox...
jah003
S
quote:
i have nothing to do with the previous post, but reminded me that i'm FINALLY hitting up JK on sunday. Never been out to the brewery.

Enjoy it... Sunday is my favorite day to go. Really laid back and next to no lines. Obviously, make sure to hit up Stanley's while your there. Pizza is pretty awesome...
clobby
AG
Community Beer Co is having their one year anniversary today. Is anyone going?
bevokilla
AG
quote:
Goose island 6th Day is pretty good as well.

Reminds me of one of my favorite BA reviews http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1549/101616/?sort=low&start=0
bmc13
AG
quote:
Community Beer Co is having their one year anniversary today. Is anyone going?

might go check it out. thanks for the heads up
cpscAG06
AG
jah, we are coming into the hill country next weekend and will be stopping at jester king on Saturday. it will be the wife's forst visit.she isnt as excited as i am thought hahah
Hub05
AG
Had an impromptu tasting last night. We ended up opening up way to much beer for 4 people.

Quick summary
-We were split 2 and 2 on Heady vs Zombie Dust. I was on the ZD side. Comparing side by sides, I liked Pliney> Heady and ZD> Heady. Now I need to do Pliney and Zombie Dust together
-Cantillon Gueuze was FUNKY
Dark Lord was SWEET
-Swamphead saison with brett was off. Little carb and no funkyness. It poured as clear as a pale ale. I am hoping it was a bad bottle.
-The batch 9k was really good. Biggest roasted caramel flavors I have had in a beer. Its to bad I will likely never get the chance to taste the BA version.
-Life is Like was the best of the night

First Page Last Page
Page 365 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.