Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,641,800 Views | 62609 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by SoTxAg
AlaskanAg99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A lot of new breweries both in competition and on the floor. A lot of average swill.

A lot of great beer as well but man, I hope this bubble produces better brewers because just because you can brew doesn't mean you should.

Great time over all for my 5th, next year it'll be even more insane.
defroach
I did not do FtT. However, I think that is the last gabf I do for some time. I may go to Denver next year just to do more brewery tours and random events instead.
Ags #1
AG
And specs is out of FBS as well
army01
AG
Matt Chow buy it all?

[This message has been edited by army01 (edited 10/14/2013 12:48p).]
jh0400
AG
Buffalo Speedway HEB has a ton of Pumpkinator.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
I think he actually did: http://instagram.com/p/fc83pgRIMY/
Out in Left Field
AG
I usually buy a couple St A or other special releases, but buying up multiple cases up to 8 is ridiculous! What the hell are you doing with all of it?
jh0400
AG
quote:

That's a ****ing dick move.
NColoradoAG
quote:
EDIT - NColorado, I see you've got 2 of the origins on the list.. I'm not familiar enough with the Crooked Stave releases to know what's what or how many of those they did. Is 1 of the ones your bringing the Batch #2 ones that got released last wk?

I'm bringing reserve society Origins brews. Feel free to hoard your CS and drink mine. I've got a lot.
BSD
AG
quote:
quote:

That's a ****ing dick move.

Complete and total ****ing dick move.
BSD
AG
I'm digging the GABF tales. NCol, did you go to WTF? And since I'm too lazy to look it up, where is the link to all of the winners?
aggiejz
AG
NCol, I'll definitely take you up on that.

Here is the list to GABF winners. I suggest paying close attention to the Gold Medal winner in the American-Style Cream Ale category

http://www.greatamericanbeerfestival.com/the-competition/winners/
NColoradoAG
quote:
GABF is ridiculous. I don't think we'll be going again. I wonder the future of it. It sells out in a minute now. The line takes an hour to get in. Then you're shoulder to shoulder for 3 hours and wait in line to get an ounce. Most people pay overpriced from scalpers.

I honestly don't think it's that enjoyable, and certainly hardly worth the $150/pair to get in. There are other festivals to do w/o a million people coming from all over and worrying about it selling out at onsale date.

Defroach did you enjoy farm to table? I have the same sentiments with it. Stand in line for 5-10 minutes, try to find a table, all for a bit of food and ounce of beer, then repeat.

Wife and I only did 4 tables and got aggravated, so we went to main hall. Only advantage I saw to FtT was no line at entry.

The festival should come with capability of getting ~2-3 pints. You sample for an hour, pick 2-3 you like, and are able to get a pint of it to sit down and enjoy maybe with some food.

quote:
There needs to be a session for CO residents only!

Said it before and I'll say it again, go on Thursday night. That's basically CO resident night. It's also a different crowd of beer drinkers.. It's the best session. Even better than the members only session. Take the Friday off and recover and visit some breweries, or hit the mountains to reset

This was the best GABF I can recall. Thursday was not crowded at all. We were in line at 5:15 and in the festival at 5:45. The quality of beers this year was great. Me and my buddy decided to go barrel aged brews and sours for our theme. I was blown away by some of the beers I tried yet hadn't heard of, and impressed by many that lived up to the hype. For example, there was about a 20 minute period where my buddy and I stood at the port/lost abbey booth and refilled our glass repeatedly with Older Viscosity and Duck Duck Gooze. There was no line. I had at least 12 ozs of duck duck Gooze. I did the same with the brand new bourbon county coffee. Tapped at 8:30 initial line was gone soon after, filled my cup six more times. Early on Thursday you'll also get some larger pours because many of the new volunteers haven't been scolded yet for overfilling glasses.

There was also almost no line for bathrooms in the back of the hall. First time ever seeing that. There were copious amounts of free pretzels and other food on the main floor as well.

I saw no one puke, no one knocking glasses out of hands, and really almost no very intoxicated people.

Strat, I didn't say anything about farm to table since I believe it was your first shot. I personally believe its a massive waste of money. I usually recommend people who want to do that option should save the money and go to one of the dozens of awesome beer dinners during the week.

Buy tickets to Thursday
Eat a huge burger at the cherry cricket beforehand
Use UBER to book a black car to the convention center
?
PROFIT
NColoradoAG
quote:
GABF is ridiculous. I don't think we'll be going again. I wonder the future of it.

The future? More space, more tickets, more brewers. Probably higher ticket prices, but that'd happen anyway.

http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/news/2013/10/10/denvers-business-decision-behind.html?page=all
NColoradoAG
quote:
NCol, did you go to WTF?

I didn't. Kind of glad too as I heard it wasn't as awesome as advertised. I was speaking with a friend at a homebrew session yesterday who went to WTF over GABF and he was very disappointed.

It was mostly first year kinks though so I bet it gets better.

Common complaints: loud, crowded, long lines, no food, insufficient bathroom space.

My buddy didn't try any of the JWakefield or Hill Farmstead stuff because the lines were 20 minutes long. He had the beer list and while fairly impressive, there were an equally good amount of beers being poured at GABF which required almost no wait. He also said the "catered gourmet food accompaniments" were meatballs on a stick.

I may give it a go next year, but from what I heard from him, and others who attended Rare Beer Fest and WTF, Rare Beer is still the best Friday festival in town.
aggiejz
AG
The Pints for Prostates Rare Beer Fest on Friday was probably the highlight of my weekend. Black Butte XXII, CS' Waelzblood, Utopias, AC Golden's Blueberry Colorambic.. lots more super awesome stuff. Will definitely attend again.
jetch17
AG
quote:

What a fairy
La Fours
AG
Just saw on FB that the Specs at Woodforest and the Beltway has pumpkinator, limit 2.

[This message has been edited by La Fours (edited 10/14/2013 4:53p).]
streetfighter2012
AG
Specs 290 and Jones still had several cases of Pumpkinator left as of a few minutes ago. I don't think they had a limit, I picked up two.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Drinking one now. Seems thinner than last year.
aggiejz
AG
Can someone link the spreadsheet again? I'm being lazy. Are we gonna have more ppl than on that list or will that be about it? If our group's gonna be pretty small I may replace my 2 with a few more "whalez, bro" type beers..
Jock 07
AG
Picked up some cellaring beer tonight

Also, who the **** is Matt chow?
62strat
AG
quote:

Said it before and I'll say it again, go on Thursday night. That's basically CO resident night. It's also a different crowd of beer drinkers.. It's the best session. Even better than the members only session. Take the Friday off and recover and visit some breweries, or hit the mountains to reset

This was the best GABF I can recall. Thursday was not crowded at all. We were in line at 5:15 and in the festival at 5:45. The quality of beers this year was great. Me and my buddy decided to go barrel aged brews and sours for our theme. I was blown away by some of the beers I tried yet hadn't heard of, and impressed by many that lived up to the hype. For example, there was about a 20 minute period where my buddy and I stood at the port/lost abbey booth and refilled our glass repeatedly with Older Viscosity and Duck Duck Gooze. There was no line. I had at least 12 ozs of duck duck Gooze. I did the same with the brand new bourbon county coffee. Tapped at 8:30 initial line was gone soon after, filled my cup six more times. Early on Thursday you'll also get some larger pours because many of the new volunteers haven't been scolded yet for overfilling glasses.

Strat, I didn't say anything about farm to table since I believe it was your first shot. I personally believe its a massive waste of money. I usually recommend people who want to do that option should save the money and go to one of the dozens of awesome beer dinners during the week.

well I did sat afternoon session last year and Friday night this year guess I'll give it one more shot and do thurs night next.

I think farm to table would have been a massive waste of money as well. Luckily, we didn't pay for it helps to have an uncle who gets free tickets who gave them to me to sell! I broke even on my $280 FtT tickets.

Wife and I did a sour theme as well. Did you happen by double mountain from Oregon? Devils kriek I think it was. Damn, it was spot on with duchesse, but better and stronger. We talked to the brewer a while and he said that duchesse was his inspiration. He said they may be in CO soon.

Speaking of in CO now.... I saw some Saint Arnold's yesterday! Endeavor, weed wackier, santo and Elissa.

Can't say that I really miss em.
62strat
AG
NOCO.... Doesn't the whole thing sell out anyway? How could thurs night be less crowded than fri. or sat? Do they less tickets to that session?
aggiejz
AG
Fresh Endeavour is excellent. Most of their other standard beers are largely meh, but I've been diggin' their Icon series overall & Bishop's Barrel too.
jah003
S
quote:
Can someone link the spreadsheet again? I'm being lazy. Are we gonna have more ppl than on that list or will that be about it? If our group's gonna be pretty small I may replace my 2 with a few more "whalez, bro" type beers..

Here ya go... never mind. Doesn't like my bookmarked link for some reason.

Might do the same... although I feel like 5-6 people popped up on the spreadsheet a day or so before the game last time.

[This message has been edited by jah003 (edited 10/14/2013 8:22p).]
aggiejz
AG
Yeah if I do decide to do that I won't post 'em, I'll just bring 'em! I'll wait til Friday to decide.
Robert C. Christian
AG
quote:
Also, who the **** is Matt chow?

This.

Also, I just became much more appreciative of my DFW beer scene. Store posts new beers at 10 AM to Facebook and I can walk in at 6 and still find plenty.
FlyFish95
quote:
Mooch983:58p, 09/26/11

Keep your piss water, mass brewed, generic crap out of here.

What are you drinking these days?

Whiskey...like a real man.
Jock 07
AG
A whole lotta meh just like their regular stuff, oh well it was 5 bucks. Bristol seems to be out St Arnold's

army01
AG
Matt Chow is a Houston guy that post regularly on BA bragging about all that he hoards.

Tonight's beer:

****. No way I am going to finish this. The coconut hits immediately, and is quickly followed with cumin. Then the pepper announces its presence with authority.
wessimo
AG
Indra is an interesting beer. Would definitely be hard to down a bomber by yourself.

Was feeling like stouts tonight so I picked up a couple of Pumpkinators, some Narwahl, and more Velvet Merlin. Mmmm... stout.

Tomorrow I have a trip to Tampa and am planning to stop by CCB to have a pint or two and to grab a few more to bring home.
maca1028
quote:
Matt Chow is a Houston guy that post regularly on BA bragging about all that he hoards

Someone posted a pic earlier in the thread today of someone hoarding a ton of pumkinator and breakfast stout from smith street. Was that him?
maca1028
quote:

Chow?
Ags #1
AG
Does this guy thinks his cool since he hoards all this limited release beer?
First Page Last Page
Page 302 of 1789

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.