Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,717,245 Views | 62712 Replies | Last: 21 min ago by SoTxAg
NColoradoAG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The Bruery is taking it full on these last couple pages. I don't want to come off as a homer, because I'm not. The Bruery Anniversary beers are some of the most expensive you'll ever encounter. They are also some of the most delicious beers out there. The biggest reason behind those beers being so expensive is they are blended each year using the solera method. Solera blending is a huge time, capital, and risky, method to produce a product. Each bottle of Bois, which is the fifth anniversary beer, contains amounts of Papier, which was the first anniversary beer brewed. Each year old barrels of Papier and previous anniversary beers are blended with a fresh batch of the anniversary beer. This creates a very complex, and expensive, brew. Also, think of the time and space requirements. The Bruery is literally sitting on barrels they might not use for five years. Also, factor in the risk. They could lose entire batches of beer they had aged for 3-5 years through an infection or disaster.

Just food for thought.
The Beer and I
No doubt it is very time, cost, and labor intensive for The Bruery to produce some of their beers. They are not really who I was talking about.

The most recent case I'm talking about is something like Karbach barrel aging a beer that sells for $7 a six pack and selling it for $15 a bomber.
NColoradoAG
After getting to know brewers of varying degrees of aptitude, I don't think a roughly $0.50 increase per ounce is out of line for a barrel aged beer. Wine and whiskey barrels are difficult to obtain. Then they take up space. They utilize resources as they need to be babied and tested. There is also almost always loss too as barrels don't make the final cut.

I also don't mind breweries pricing products to what they think the market will bear. Too often breweries are too generous with pricing because "beer is for the people." I think that's a stupid philosophy because your leaving tons of money on the table and the hoarders steal all the beer. The best way to limit the craziness of a release is to price the bottles higher.
jh0400
AG
I probably would've bought that $30 bomber just to see if it was worth the money.
The Beer and I
I think you're missing my point. It's not the increase of $.50 per ounce, it's the % increase in price per ounce. Not to mention that Barn Burner was not good to begin with (my opinion). Breweries can price their products however they want, but they should expect some blow back from consumers that don't feel like it's worth it.

By the way, I would've bought the $30 bottle given the opportunity too.
jh0400
AG
quote:
Not to mention that Barn Burner was not good to begin with (my opinion)

I don't know where you're located, but it has long been believed that Brock Wagner could piss in a bottle, label it limited release, and the neck beards would pay whatever it took to get some. Karbach has managed to get in on that now as well.
AggieOO
barn burner wasn't amazing, but i didn't think it was bad.

drank a few too many pints of moose drool last night...i'm struggling today.

---------------------------------------
http://www.yourbodyisyourengine.com
RRCA Certified Running Coach
La Fours
AG
Lots of Cascades sours are that much and worth the price.
Jock 07
AG
Didn't mean to single out bruery just meant more in general terms. Still haven't tried their stuff and can understand the anniversary stuff, which I didn't realize that's what that was. I'm willing to pay premium prices for premium beer like that, hell I threw down for a bottle of utopias. In fact after that description I might have to invest in a bottle and let it sit for a few years.
Jock 07
AG
Just got done at stranahans. Had a renegade golden sour at the suggestion of the bar tender. It was fantastic. Also had a taste of goose islands Flanders beer, can't remember the name of it but it was damn good as well. Wish I would had realized that July was their sour fest month
wessimo
AG
Having a shiner pr!ckly pear. Almost tastes like a strawberry wine cooler.
maca1028
Taking my family camping near Burleson in a couple of weeks. Any DFW area folks know some good places near there to pick up good beer
NColoradoAG

About to sauce the ribs.
62strat
AG
quote:
I don't know where you're located, but it has long been believed that Brock Wagner could piss in a bottle, label it limited release, and the neck beards would pay whatever it took to get some. Karbach has managed to get in on that now as well.

Karbach is in that now for a simple reason: Houston has.. 3? 4 breweries? Something like that.
Wait until they have 20+ like so many other cities. The appeal and demand for saint arnold, and karbach for that matter, will lessen big time. It will still be there as long as they make good beer, but the lines out the door and days of calling around specs to find out it's gone will be over.

I just bought Avery uncle jacobs stout.. limited in quantity and generally goes quick. but I picked the nearest store to me, went in, and they had a few, 3 days after it was released. There are just too many other beers here in Denver for 1 single beer release to totally dominate.
La Fours
AG
How plentiful or hard to get are the Crooked Stave beers in Denver/Ft. Collins areas in stores?
The Beer and I
Picked up a 32 oz growler of Prairie Ales Funky Galaxy. also got a Sierra Nevada Southern Hemisphere that I've been eyeing for a while.
Jock 07
AG
Their main three are pretty widely available here in the springs so I'd imagine they're pretty abundant up there in Denver.
La Fours
AG
What are the main 3?
Jock 07
AG
Surette, hop savant, & st Bretta
NColoradoAG
Vielle is also on shelves. Each batch of Vielle is dry hopped with a different hop, and each seasonal st Bretta has different fruit.
La Fours
AG
Cool

[This message has been edited by La Fours (edited 7/28/2013 7:41p).]
La Fours
AG
army01
AG
A Sculpin followed by Ommegang's Iron Throne. Sculpin get a big nod, and the Iron Trone gets a big meh...

La Fours
AG
Army, I really liked Iron Throne. I would ask that you give it another try when you have it first and your palate isn't affected by a hoppy beer like Sculpin, another beer that I liked very much.

I'm finishing the night with another 'Merica by Prairie Artisan Ales. This is really a great beer. This is what I would hope for Jester King's beers to be like. At least their regular run of farmhouse ales. Their sours are awesome. I look forward to trying Prairie's sours. I have a friend in OKC that comes down for the home games. I've already given her the heads up on picking up beers for me.
aggiejz
AG
Had a Scuplin tonight on tap myself, always tasty!
Jock 07
AG
Glad to see that sculpin has made its way to TX. Wouldn't mind seeing Ballast Point here
maca1028
I've been working graveyard shift all weekend, watching y'all post all these good beers is making me thirsty
army01
AG
La Fours, I'm not big on blondes - married a red head (drunk dad joke) - but after drinking the second half of the bottle, I will say it grew on me a bit. I'm sure the strong flavor from the Sculpin jacked up my taste buds for a while. I'll be curious to see what the Game of Thrones Stout is like this fall....

Any news on Deschutes Black Butte XXV, W00t stout, Backwoods ******* or Uncle Jacob's clearing TABC?
Robert C. Christian
AG
Picked up a sixer of Sculpin on Saturday, can't believe it took me that long. That is a great IPA.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Any Uncle Jacob's in Texas yet?
La Fours
AG
Not sure HNIC.

Do any of you CO guys know if RRBC can be found in Colorado Springs?
txag2008
AG
quote:

Not sure how accurate their site is, but here's their list in a map format for Colorado. http://batchgeo.com/map/76ae76fab2b4dc4d6eb0b33abdbde198
gordo97
AG
for anyone interested, I counted 6 bottles of karbach's roll in the hay at HEB on westheimer/kirkwood
Jock 07
AG
quote:
Not sure HNIC.

Yes I'll pm you when I get home
MADDUD
Rodeo Clowns for the win tonight
First Page Last Page
Page 257 of 1792

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.