Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,679,218 Views | 62663 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by Objective Aggie
txag2008
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
been waiting to take the plunge into homebrewing?

Half off a starter kit right now at midwestsupplies.com through living social
http://www.livingsocial.com/cities/1-washington-d-c/deals/588148-beer-making-starter-kit?id=588148-beer-making-starter-kit

That just seems like a couple 5gal buckets and a bottle capper. Is it really a good beginner kit?
AggieOO
quote:
Beginner's Brewing Kit:
� $25 Discount Coupon for next purchase
� Homebrew Wallet Bottle Opener
� 6.5 Gallon Fermenter and Lid
� 6.5 Gallon Bottling Bucket with Spigot
� 4 Oz. of Easy Clean No-Rinse Cleanser
� Airlock (Keeps air out of the fermenter)
� Hydrometer (Determines alcohol content)
� Bottle Brush
� Twin Lever Black Beauty Bottle Capper
� Bottle Caps
� Liquid Crystal Thermometer
� Bottle Filler
� Racking Tube with Bucket Clip
� Siphon Tubing

everything you need to get started. there are obviously things that would make life easier, but that's enough to do it as long as you have a big pot.
p-wonk01
AG
I had it in Minneapolis early December...a buddy had gotten it out there a few weeks prior I believe. I've heard it's pretty hard to get ahold of.
62strat
AG
quote:
That just seems like a couple 5gal buckets and a bottle capper. Is it really a good beginner kit?

It is what every home brew store sells as a beginner kit, and they are typically $100+. So this being half price is a great deal. The two buckets and first recipe kit included alone is over $65, so all the other stuff is basically free. Thermometer, cleaner, brushes, bottle capper, tubing, racking canes, etc.. all those little guys add up to $50+ easy.

[This message has been edited by 62strat (edited 1/30/2013 9:30a).]
p-wonk01
AG
Made a small beer run to Blinny's Beverage Depot (Schaumberg, IL) last night. Unfortunately, I can only take about 3 bottles back in my bag this time. I noticed a ton of Pipeworks (Chicago) beer and felt like giving it a try. My haul:

Firestone Walker Wookey Jack (Black Rye IPA)
Pipeworks Last Kiss (Scotch/Wee Heavy)
Pipeworks Blood of the Unicorn (Imperial Red)
NColoradoAG
Belgian Red is in short supply because they did not make it this year. The cherry crop was down up there. Instead, they made a fruit beer called Serendipity using Apples, Cranberries, and Cherries.

I'm a bit surprised you didn't like it, OO. But I can understand your criticism. It is very fruit forward and some may find it cloying.
gordo97
AG
woo-hoooo!!!! found 2 more BBA Hellfighters at Kroger on 99 & Bellfort!!!!
AggieOO
My gf disliked it even more than I did. She wouldn't even drink her glass.
NColoradoAG
http://www.darklordday.com/
BSD
AG
Are you going?
NColoradoAG
Seriously considering it. Me and a few guys from out here are contemplating taking an RV out there and up through MI, MN, and WI. I hear RV parking, well parking in general, is a ***** around there. That won't keep me away though.

Flights are cheap too so I might even go stag if things don't work out.

[This message has been edited by NColoradoAG (edited 1/30/2013 2:29p).]
BSD
AG
Take the RV and stock that sucker up! You can always park at a hotel (or anywhere) and call a cab. We still haven't decided if we are going yet, as we have a long vacation planned shortly after that. It was a good time last year, though. Hmmm....
NColoradoAG
Any of you guys had RU-55 yet? Had one pop up in a trade box that arrived today. I've enjoyed every sour I've had so far from JK.
La Fours
AG
We haven't gotten it here in CS. I did pick up a Funk Metal today at lunch at Specs.
duck79
AG
Abyss will be on the shelves tomorrow in Dallas.
Vernada
AG
Wow. Karbach 003 is SOLID. $14 well spent. I'll snatch up any others if given the chance.
BQ08
AG
Picked up an RU55 today... Will try this weekend. Also picked up a Funkmetal... A stout aged in sour barrels. Pretty excited.
aTm08
Had a pretty successful Specs run today here in college station:

Lagunitas Sucks
Dogfish Head Burton Baton
Dogfish Head Noble Rot

Trying one of the Burton Baton's right now. Pretty good, really clean like all of DFH's beers.
NColoradoAG
I'm about burned out on sucks. I've gone through a case this month. Good thing imma bathe in Hopslam and Zombie Dust this weekend when my buddy gets back from Indiana.
army01
AG
quote:
Abyss will be on the shelves tomorrow in Dallas.

Total Wine in Fort Worth claims they have already sold out of a case of Abyss last week, yet when I called last Friday about it, no one could tell me anything.

No one else over here seems to have gotten anything.
Womackster
AG
Lot's of good info on here. Thanks.
BSD
AG
quote:
I'm about burned out on sucks. I've gone through a case this month. Good thing imma bathe in Hopslam and Zombie Dust this weekend when my buddy gets back from Indiana.

(kidding, well maybe not kidding on the ZD aspect of it, but I have a 12 pack of Hopslam in ATL that is awaiting my arrival in 9 days so I'm good there)
aggiejz
AG
Been meaning to post on this thread for a while (spadilly keeps reminding me) but I always forget.

I'm heading out to San Francisco in the morning, hitting some breweries there tomorrow and then up to Russian River at some ungodly hour Saturday morning to check out Pliny the Younger. Y'all can add me on Untapped too (jzimmermann11, same as my Twitter).. Also gonna try and bring home a suitcase full of beer you can't get in TX, so if you live in Houston and desperately want something I can see if I can grab 1 for you.
Jock 07
AG
When I was up there a couple weeks ago my waitress said people sleep in their cars out front and **** for the Pliny release. **** that noise

[This message has been edited by Jock 07 (edited 2/1/2013 12:44a).]
aggiejz
AG
Yeah I'm expecting to be in line for about 5 hours. Not thrilled about that, but I'm determined to try this damn beer
BSD
AG
If you go on weekdays, there is maybe a 5 minute wait at the open. I was there the second Sat thru Tues last year and Saturday night's line was so long that we skipped the brewery and sought on some Moonlight beers down the street. Sunday night wait was about an hour or so and then Monday we basically walked right in at 11:00am. Once you get in it's a good time. Everyone is happy to be there and it's a good party atmosphere. Good luck!
duck79
AG
Army,

Ft Worth didn't get the beer till late this week so that was not correct. Check today or Tuesday.
Bmac04
AG
Duck,

Do you know what stores are getting abyss in DFW?
La Fours
AG
duck, any guess on if BCS will be getting any Abyss?
duck79
AG
I am not sure if BCS will or not. What we received was very very limited and I haven't seen the breakout for Brazos county.
duck79
AG
Go to Total Wine and Specs today in Dallas. After today it may be gone. S&K will get a small amount as well.

You can also go to Whip In in Flower Mound. He gets his case next week though.
gordo97
AG
If you go on weekdays, there is maybe a 5 minute wait at the open.

one time i've been to russian river it was weekday lunchtime and the place was about half full...... no wait at all...... then again it was not during "pliny the younger" season
Jock 07
AG
BSD, or anyone really, any idea if Russian river ever plans to expand their operation? Didn't realize the whole operation was that small
Bmac04
AG
Total wine and central market in Dallas have abyss now!
La Fours
AG
quote:
BSD, or anyone really, any idea if Russian river ever plans to expand their operation? Didn't realize the whole operation was that small

They have no plans to expand. In fact they just withdrew from Washington.
First Page Last Page
Page 169 of 1791

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.