Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,568,895 Views | 62489 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by La Fours
Vernada
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Boulevard Dark Truth and Sierra Nevada NARWAHL so far tonight.
Vernada
AG
NARWAHL!!
jfrost
Defroach- Was there this past summer for a funeral at Arlington. Didn't get to get to everything but got to a couple brewpub restaurants that were not bad. One was downtown DC called Capital City Brew and had some good brews. The other was just a little west of Alexandria close to Centerville calle Sweetwater Tavern I think. Had some good brews, nothing I would make the drive for. We played golf down the street from it at Westfields Golf Club and saw it was nearby.

One place I'd say visit for sure that I didn't get a chance is DC Brau brewery in northeast DC. They should have tours every Saturday I think. Seem to be a popular brewery up in that area.
jah003
S
quote:
quote:
I'm eyeing the Abyss 2011 in the beer fridge, and it'll take some self control to not open it yet. Maybe it'll be a celebratory drink at the end of the Cotton Bowl this week.

I lost my 2011 Abyss today shuffling around the beer in my cellar. I was devastated. Instill have a 2010, though, and my house smells of Imperial Stout.

This may be the saddest post I've read on texags, well... Ever...

I lost my 512 double pecan porter in a similar fashion a few months ago.
Vernada
AG
It appears there's a moral to these stories (and one I've always practiced): don't put off drinking until tomorrow what can be drinking done today.
La Fours
AG
How is the narwhal? They have it at the HEB by my house.
Marooned_n_Aggieland
4's, I'm interested in that Narwhal as well. Reviewers on Beer Advocate likes it.
clobby
AG
I can't seem to get away from the $12 cases of Sierra Nevada here in Northern California. Celebration is tasty.
K Bo
AG
Ran to Spec's yesterday and grabbed some things with a gift card I received for Christmas:

Mikkeller It's Alive - haven't had
SN Narwhal - love this stuff
Santa Fe Java Imperial Stout - one of my regular impy's
DFH/Victory/Stone Saison du BUFF - haven't had
Stone Smoked Porter w/ Vanilla Beans - had it last night (very smooth/sweet up front and smokey/more harsh on the finish)
Stone Smoked Porter w/ Chipotle Peppers - haven't had
Saison DuPont - behind Fantome, best of the style
St Fuellien Saison - haven't had
Boulevard Saison-Brett - incredible
Vivant/New Belgium Bier de Garde - haven't had
Boulevard Rye-on-Rye - haven't had but sounds awesome (1/3 ale, 2/3 ale aged in rye whiskey barrels)

I've got a 2010 Sierra Nevada Grand Cru I'll be opening today. It's a dry-hopped blend of Oak Aged Bigfoot, Celebration Ale, and fresh Pale Ale. This thing was so flavorful and complex in 2010, I'll be interested to see how it's aged. I'm guessing it'll be strong on the alcohol and quite malty.
BowSowy
AG
quote:
I could be mistaken but at Jester King you only get 6 half pours.

I got 6 half pours and 2 2oz pours of Funk Metal and RU-55
defroach
quote:
I got 6 half pours and 2 2oz pours of Funk Metal and RU-55

Ahh...I saw that the were doing special pours of those two over the last week...that isn't normal that they do that.
jetch17
AG
My old lady picked some icon up at the store. Not going in with high expectations but I'll drink it

aggiechris06
AG
K Bo, I've had that Rye on Rye...it is damn tasty...in my memory at least it's the best Rye I've had...though I've only had it once and it was a while back...but still

I am jealous...
AggieOO
had the Icon at the brewery friday. i'd rate it as a solid "ok."
jetch17
AG
So after a couple icons, it's not BAD for what it is, it's just not lightning bolt to the tip of my hog world turning... Just another mediocre attempt in a fancy package by Saint A.

Marooned_n_Aggieland
A Belgian STRONG ale would have been a better choice. There is so much more great flavor in a strong ale than a pale ale. I would offer up Ommegang's BPA as an example of this.
jetch17
AG
Word to BSDs mother, Saint A just can't keep up with all the other good sh*t others are doing right now
La Fours
AG
I cracked open my Rahr bb aged Winter Warmer. It is really good. I still think Fra-Gee-Lay is the better beer. But based on price Rahr is the better deal.
La Fours
AG
quote:
I can't seem to get away from the $12 cases of Sierra Nevada here in Northern California. Celebration is tasty.

Celebration is very good. Especially at $12 a case.
streetfighter2012
AG
Celebrating the cowboys loss with my first DR 12. It's not worth the overpriced DR price but I'm enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would.
AggieOO
i still haven't cracked either of my DR12's. Friend of mine this weekend gave it a less than stellar review, which makes me even less excited to throw one in the fridge.
Marooned_n_Aggieland
quote:
I cracked open my Rahr bb aged Winter Warmer. It is really good. I still think Fra-Gee-Lay is the better beer. But based on price Rahr is the better deal.

You are 50% correct!
NColoradoAG
Sig and Stars Check.

____________________________________________________________________________________
Right around that corner there is a sandwich shop. They sell meatball sandwiches. Best I've ever tasted. Would you go get me two? C'mon partner, two. Thank you.

UTAH, GET ME TWO!
army01
AG
Picked up a Small Batch #4, Double Basturd, Summit Unchained 11, Deviant Dale, Santa Fe Java Stout, Maui Breadfruit, New Belgium Frambozen, and an Ass Kisser DIPA.

Any one know when ass kisser moved out to San Jose? When I stumbled across them last year, the Smoked Porter and DIPA were both brewed in Fort Worth by Rahr...
Green Fairy
AG
^
|
|
Probably a case of Ass Kisser coming up with the recipe, and using a Rahr(or really their equipment) to brew the beer. There are a few others that have done this....Alamo comes to mind...uses Real Ale's brew house(or at least did). Ass Kisser may have finally come up with enough capital to open up their own brew operation.

Not to jump on the BB Winter Warmer fun ship, but I'll be cracking open a 2011 version tonight along with the wine I've already had and will continue to have...and a Hellfighter and 60 min earlier today.

[This message has been edited by Green Fairy (edited 12/31/2012 5:31p).]
LCE
AG
jetch is spot on with the ICON.

Ayinger Celebrator now with Little Sumpin' Sumpin' later. Have a few Old Stock Ale that I might get into.
wessimo
AG

sister-in-law brought me three different beers from Good People Brewing in Birmingham AL. The Snake Handler DIPA is better than I expected for an Alabama brewery. Just about as good as Enjoy By (the last DIPA I had).
AggieOO
i'm guessing the tagline "legally brewed since 2008" is a callout to the terrible alabama laws. guessing that was a homebrew recipe before they started their brewery. It is illegal to home brew in alabama.
La Fours
AG
I've started my night with Terrapin's Side Project 17, Samurai Krunkles. An ipa brewed with ginger and green tea. It's pretty good.

It's one of the bottles of Terrapin that my friend brought me from Georgia. I have Phlux Capacitor and a Peanut Butter Bliss waiting to be consumed. Depending on my plans for the Cotton Bowl I will crack open the Phlux Capacitor that night.
army01
AG
Just finished a bottle of 2011 Rahr BBAWW with beef tenderloin, twice baked potato, and crime brƻlƩe...ended 2012 on a pretty good note.
La Fours
AG
Now I'm drinking a Pedernales Lobo. It's a good lager. Nothing spectacular, but would be a good summer beer.
Green Fairy
AG
quote:
Just finished a bottle of 2011 Rahr BBAWW with beef tenderloin, twice baked potato, and crime brƻlƩe...ended 2012 on a pretty good note.

What did you think? The BB was very subdued from what I remembered from the one I had earlier this year(feb?)....became almost caramelly?

Had that, about 3/4 a bottle of wine, a Deschutes NW pale ale, and now a deviant dales....

[This message has been edited by Green fairy (edited 12/31/2012 11:11p).]
jetch17
AG
It'll getcha drunk

BSD
AG
Beers to close out 2012:

Pliny the Elder
Knee Deep Simtra Triple IPA
Alpine Pure HoppinessĀ 
Pliny the Elder
army01
AG
I thought it aged pretty well....the amount of carbonation really surprised me, but flavor was great...buttery-caramel.

Aged better than the 2010 I had earlier this year (which was still good).
First Page Last Page
Page 154 of 1786

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.