Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,676,671 Views | 62649 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by steve00
jetch17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Nice spadilly, would be good to try as we ate a bunch of breadfruit during our trips to Hawaii
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Any beer threads thoughts on Black Star Coop off of Lamar in Austin? This is my 5th time here and still not sure on it. I like the tap, but not sure on their own beers. Had their Möbius tonight. Could taste the high alcohol I it it, but not terrible.
Marooned_n_Aggieland
I'm very late sampling this because the Brewer's Cut #1 didn't work for me at all. So, with positive comments from friends, I purchased the 4 pack and sampled one tonight.

Yep, they were right. This is some good stuff. Great Belgian taste and I rated it very high on Untappd, with an extra bit for being a Texas beer.

[This message has been edited by Marooned_n_Aggieland (edited 12/26/2012 8:54p).]
jetch17
AG
finally cracked my last CLUTCH tonight

accompanied by some tunes cranked accordingly:
CLUTCH - What would a wookie do?

[This message has been edited by jetch17 (edited 12/26/2012 8:55p).]
BSD
AG
**** that **** up ******!!!!
jetch17
AG
BSD doin work
Marooned_n_Aggieland
Can't go wrong with one of these!

Who makes a better imperial RYE IPA? I'm ready to sample it!!
khkman22
AG
Had the Widmer Brrr tonight for the first time. I thought it was pretty good and probably my favorite winter beer that I have tried, primarily because I like hoppy beers. Want to try the Sierra Nevada Celebration again, but I don't know where to find it. Are there singles anywhere in CS? There is a slight chance I may be going through this weekend and I don't really have a selection of anything where I live.
BSD
AG
quote:
BSD doin work

Mutha ****a say what!!!

AggieOO
I like black star, but can't say I love it.
army01
AG
Finishing this one off right now....

62strat
AG
Dinner at uncle's house last night. Never a shortage of beer there. His beer anyway. (Don't think he's had commercial beer in his house in years)

The lineup: All big brews. All are entered into vail big brew festival here in a couple weekends (plus 4 others not on tap!).
I stuck with the Barleywine most of the night. Pretty damn good.

Gotta have dessert drinks: An apricot cider (pinot glass) and a cinnamon cherry tart. (AKA, liquid cherry pie) Both in at around 10%

[This message has been edited by 62strat (edited 12/27/2012 9:44a).]
txag2008
AG
Will be in Chicago this weekend saying downtown. Any recs on nearby brewery tours? (Three Floyds is going to be too far)
TexsAggies
AG
Wedding will be serving rahr ugly pug and Oktoberfest
BSD
AG
Tonight's beer was a Pliny and a GI Bourbon County Stout. Wish I had more bourbon Dark Lord left...
BSD
AG
quote:
Will be in Chicago this weekend saying downtown. Any recs on nearby brewery tours? (Three Floyds is going to be too far)

My buddy is an investor in Revolution Brewing so I'd be really interested in hearing reviews of their beers.  Half Acre and Haymarket are pretty solid.  And of course Goose Island is there.  Since 3 Floyds is too far, I'd say Two Brothers out west is too far as well.  Both are about 30-45 minutes out.

Also be sure to have an early lunch at Kuma's (great tap/bottle list and even better burgers) and give Paddy Longs a shot at night for food and great beers (on Diversy).  

Enjoy!
army01
AG
Sipping on an Alaskan Smoked Porter tonight...

BowSowy
AG
Went to Jester King this past Saturday and got to sample 8 of their beers. My favorites of the bunch were Weasel Rodeo, Funk Metal, RU-55, and El Cedro. Least Favorite was probably Gotdlandsricka. If any of you guys find yourself near Dripping Springs, I definitely suggest that you take a tour. $10 gets you a nice glass, 8 samples and a tour, and the brewery grounds are pretty nice as well.
jah003
S
quote:
Went to Jester King this past Saturday and got to sample 8 of their beers. My favorites of the bunch were Weasel Rodeo, Funk Metal, RU-55, and El Cedro. Least Favorite was probably Gotdlandsricka. If any of you guys find yourself near Dripping Springs, I definitely suggest that you take a tour. $10 gets you a nice glass, 8 samples and a tour, and the brewery grounds are pretty nice as well.

+1

I've been three times in the past year or so. Each time is glorious. Quite possibly the best 10 bucks you can spend. I've always enjoyed the food trailers they have out there as well (Chi'Lantro is my favorite).
AggieOO
Did the saint a and karbach tours today. Still boozing and somewhat standing. Also found a black ops at an Heb.
jetch17
AG
You get any of that new Karbach "weekend warrior" pale ale they debuted on the tour today?

Nice grab on the Ops, that sh*t is tasty
defroach
I could be mistaken but at Jester King you only get 6 half pours.

Austin Breweries:
Circle - Random and no set schedule
512 - Every other Saturday in general...$10 for pint and pouts - No RSVP
Independence - First Saturday of each month - $10 for pint and pours - No RSVP
Hops and Grains - Every Friday (2-6) and Saturday (12-4) - $10 for pint glass and 5 or 6 half pours - No RSVP
Thirsty Planet - Every Saturday )11-2) - $7 for pint and 3 pours - RSVP generally preferred but not required
Jester King - Every Saturday (1-4) - $10 for glass and 6 half pours - No RSVP
Adelberts - Every Friday (5-9) - $10 for pint and 3 pours - No RSVP
Austin Beerworks - Every Friday (5-8) - $10 for pint and 3 pours - RSVP is generally required
Twisted X - Not so often but they do things randomly
Rogness - Every Saturday (1-4) - $10 for pint and 6 half pours - RSVP is preferred
Live Oak - Every Saturday (12-3) - $10 for pint and 3 pours (could be mistake, its been awhile) - requires RSVP
South Austin Brewery - Every Sunday (12 or 1-5) - I am guessing $10...never been there for a pay even, just for free
AggieOO
Jetch - yep, had a couple. Tasty.
army01
AG
I had been holding this one back for a while, prepared to be disappointed after my experience with Black & Blue...this one was much better.

BSD
AG
I must find this beer...

jetch17
AG
Badass
txag2008
AG
quote:
I must find this beer...

Was right near there yesterday but went to Revolution Brewing instead. Was a neat place but probably wouldn't choose it over others again. Their porter, wit, & some chocolate type beer were good but didn't care for their saison or barrel aged stuff.
defroach
I'll be in DC/Arlington Virginia in January....any suggestions on breweries/beer stores/bars that I should hit up? Prefer going to the breweries though...
fav13andac1)c
AG
Bought the new Lone Star Bock a couple nights ago as a cheap brew to take out to a farm to meet up with some old high school friends. I was pleasantly surprised since I'm not a fan of regular Lone Star. Had a taste of caramel and pecans and was pretty drinkable. Kind of reminded me of Shiner without the aftertaste. Would buy again.

[This message has been edited by fav13andac1)c (edited 12/29/2012 12:57p).]
AggieOO
Defroach - flying dog is in Maryland, but its readily available in Texas. Maybe the brewery tour would be good.
defroach
Yeah...I'm more looking for things I can't get in TX
spadilly
S
Just cracked open another Double *******. So delicious.

I'm eyeing the Abyss 2011 in the beer fridge, and it'll take some self control to not open it yet. Maybe it'll be a celebratory drink at the end of the Cotton Bowl this week.
spadilly
S
^ Double Bast-ard
K Bo
AG
quote:
I'm eyeing the Abyss 2011 in the beer fridge, and it'll take some self control to not open it yet. Maybe it'll be a celebratory drink at the end of the Cotton Bowl this week.

I lost my 2011 Abyss today shuffling around the beer in my cellar. I was devastated. Instill have a 2010, though, and my house smells of Imperial Stout.
cpscAG06
AG
drinking a Ranger Creek batch #4 - Imperial Mesquite Smoked Porter aged in Bourbon Barrels.

Great mesquite aroma. You get the bourbon sweetness upfront and the mesquite smoke in the back of the tongue. Delicious.

[This message has been edited by cpscAG06 (edited 12/29/2012 8:51p).]
First Page Last Page
Page 153 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.