Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,569,005 Views | 62489 Replies | Last: 9 hrs ago by La Fours
Marooned_n_Aggieland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
4s, it is a big statement but I stand behind it. The Fra was served up on cask and the Rahr was on tap at a local establishment that I'm sure you must frequent. The Rahr is better. The Karkach offering gets the bourbon right but in the process dilutes the other tastes from the base beer.

But, as always, the way to know for sure it is try it for yourself, which I would recommend given the chance. If you have to choose just one, go with the Rahr. Beyond just the taste, the Rahr product is a much better value too.

Me being a Rahr homer. Yes, I do like a lot of Rahr beers but not all. This year they have produced some very average to just plain horrible casks. I like most of their seasonals and remain ambivalent on their year rounds.

Now on to my next beverage for Christmas ...

jetch17
AG
I'm just bustin you about Rahr, bud

Enjoy yo'self
Marooned_n_Aggieland
I know you are but I feel compelled to state my case. No worries.
jah003
S
Thus far this Christmas:

Lips of faith coffee chocolate stout
Stone collaboration mint chocolate
A random spotted cow
An abyss (aged a year)
Oak aged yeti (aged a year)

I'm certain there will be more to come.
proudaggie02
AG
Beers I've had the last 5 days:

Great Divide: Oak Aged Yeti, Trippel, Hibernation, Old Ruffian aged in bourbon barrel, Grand Cru Peach (aged in whiskey barrel)

Avery: Mephistopheles Stout

Tommyknocker: Cocoa Porter, Butthead Bock, Maple Nut Brown, Imperial Nut Brown

Saint Arnold: Pumpkinator
jetch17
AG
Sh*t if this ain't delicious. Very nice on a cold night

jetch17
AG
The Ops is nice as it comes to temp a bit, the barrel comes through nice ... And kickass alongside the MILs peanut brittle, too I might add
aggiechris06
AG
Sadly don't have any of the nice bourbon barrel aged beers...frageelay, black ops, etc...

However made do with a SA Divine #10 barleywine this AM, then tonight La Fin du Monde and Stone Double ******* Bombers...

Both good but still working on the double *******... will be lucky if I can write a coherent sentence by the time its gone...

I do think someone charged me to write a review of this immediately after finishing it... I'll see what I can do, but the way it looks right now you wouldn't want to read it any more than my previous stuff....
aggiechris06
AG
the double bast@rd is tasty, but it's a strong mother and the booziness is definitely present all the way through. I understand know what y'all are saying in terms of aging this a couple of years and seeing how it would mellow out

for now, I'll say I'm impressed by the red tinged almost copper auburn color, the khaki head that stays with the beer all the way to the bottom of the glass, the aroma of caramelized sugar, booze and pine mildly, and the plum sweet, then toasted sugar almost grilled pineapple taste with an intermission of stinging alcohol that in the second half becomes reminiscent of a grapefruit soaking booze, if you ever had one, at the end...

like I said, I like it, but it's a strong mother and it stings a bit
jetch17
aggiechris06
AG
lastly, anyone know where I might be able to find of black ops or fra-gee-lay Houston? sorry if they're already gone and it's a silly question, but I figured I might ask...

also how much will these two set me back? On a pediatrics residency salary budget with two kiddos and one on the way, sooooo...yeah
Green Fairy
AG
quote:
Sh*t if this ain't delicious. Very nice on a cold night

It's damn good. I've had a couple 2011's(with one still in the fridge). Hoping to get my hands on some of this years batch. Not looking good since I won't have a chance to go find some until Thursday one I'm back I'm in the tine.
BSD
AG
quote:
lastly, anyone know where I might be able to find of black ops or fra-gee-lay Houston? sorry if they're already gone and it's a silly question, but I figured I might ask...

also how much will these two set me back? On a pediatrics residency salary budget with two kiddos and one on the way, sooooo...yeah

I'd call Petrol the first thing tomorrow. They were the last to have the two bottles. It's a bar so prices will be a bit higher. Frageelay was $20, Black Ops was around $30.
jetch17
AG
Black ops was $22 at bunker HEB last week, but they only had 1 case that likely went quick
aggiechris06
AG
Onto the second half of this double bast@ard...yowza

On a side note, whats the quickest way to share pics via smart phone...i am trying but damned if I can't get the links right
jetch17
AG
Photobucket
aggiechris06
AG

There...the second half of this damn brew! Damn Tasty!!
aggiechris06
AG
Dammit....nevermind, don't know what I am doing wrong...
EFE
AG
quote:
Photobucket

This.
txaggie05
AG
That was me that issued the Double Bastartd charge immediately upon completion. So far so good.

[This message has been edited by TxAggie05 (edited 12/25/2012 11:56p).]
cevans_40
AG
Beer snobs
jetch17
AG
Thanks for your kickass post, cevan
BSD
AG
**** faces
jh0400
AG
Who's that ********er?
EFE
AG
cevans seems like kind of guy who butt funnels Milwaukees Best, and likes it!
62strat
AG
http://www.limitedreleasebeer.com/

hah.
Marooned_n_Aggieland
As your resident Rahr homer, I see that Rahr has produced a Barleywine. Reviews please!

Marooned_n_Aggieland
Opinions? I've had only a few of these.

http://texasbrews.org/news/2012_best_of
spadilly
S
Maui Brewing + Dogfish Head + a parrothead like me = Liquid Breadfruit

jetch17
AG
Heard about that, curious to hear how it is
Vernada
AG
Picked up a bomber of Jester King Black Metal to try out later tonight.

Hope it's good.
Vernada
AG
I also got that 3 bottle Ommegaang holiday pack at Specs earlier. It has a bottle of 3 Philosophers, a Chocolate Stout, and some farmhouse ale I think. Should be pretty good stuff.

Probably wont drink them all tonight.
spadilly
S
quote:
Heard about that, curious to hear how it is

Cooling off now. Downtown Specs got 10 cases, while most other locations got one or two.
spadilly
S
Jetch,
It's worth trying. Very light and fruity (peach flavor, but not nasty ones like Shiner Cheer). Also, papaya notes, but not overwhelming.

I wish I knew it was 8.2% before opening the third one of the night a minute ago. (It's on the can, I just didn't read it)
Vernada
AG
And it's in a 6er!?niiice

It seems like once they hit the 8% or so, they cut you off at a four pack
First Page Last Page
Page 152 of 1786

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.