Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,676,588 Views | 62649 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by steve00
maca1028
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Nice! Built my shopping cart, got side tracked, sold out when I came back.
AgEng06
AG
I hope you already ordered. It was gone in 13 minutes.
turfman80
AG
I thought this was an interesting read

https://www.pastemagazine.com/drink/craft-beer/hazy-juicy-ipa-problems-sweet-hop-burn/
Yeah, well, sometimes nothing is a real cool hand
Ulrich
turfman80 said:

I thought this was an interesting read

https://www.pastemagazine.com/drink/craft-beer/hazy-juicy-ipa-problems-sweet-hop-burn/

I agree with this, and also now I'm self-conscious that maybe I like the wrong hazy IPAs.

The stouts have gotten ridiculous, somehow now it's become expected that you'll pay 10 dollars for 8 ounces of a sticky sweet chocolate bomb that makes you feel queasy and also bad about yourself as a person. The real tragedy is when they do it to a barrel aged beer.
CDub06
AG
Good article and some amusing quotes in there. Glad he added this, because it was in my mind when he was criticizing the absurdity of some of the hazies.

Quote:

This kind of thinking is endemic to craft beer as a whole in 2020. It's an era where seemingly every big stout must aspire toward absurd, desserty decadence and half a dozen adjuncts; where every fruited sour is basically pulpy puree with alcohol in itand often not as much alcohol as is advertised. Tooth-stripping sweetness is the norm; something to be expected in all these styles as well, whether it's stout, or a fruited sour, or hazy IPA. They're the hallmarks of an era that has long since waved goodbye to any sense of proportion or dignitythe highest rated beers of our era have an uncomfortable tendency to sound like something a child would have designed if given the chance. If you let your 6-year-old nephew design a beer, would he not say "I want a chocolatey beer, with bananas, and blueberries, and maple syrup and vanilla!"
In an era of flights and Untappd check ins, a lot of people (guilty) are just ticking the box to say they've tried it or to just sample the novelty. Breweries cater toward that. It keeps them in the conversation and it keeps people coming back. I immediately think of Ingenious, who I'm a fan of. But all of their stuff is absurd (ly delicious).

I don't agree on the green hop burn piece. Most people aren't seeking that out. In fact, having consistently green beers got a high profile area brewmaster fired a while back. Most people (on Untappd anyway) aren't give that type of stuff high marks.

But the article does ring true, especially when I've seen several on this thread toast Spindletap's beers and comment that it might be the same beer as their last just with a different label. A lot of truth in that article, but I'm still buying.
Ulrich
I went through my "get a million checkins on Untapped" phase, and while I still really like trying new things, I stick to my old favorites a lot more often now.
CDub06
AG
I'll add that in the Houston area, we're blessed with some really good hazies, so we don't have to suffer through many of the bad ones he describes. But they're out there in the form of malt bombs disguised as "Hazy" or dirty dishwater beers churned out by some breweries so they'll have a "NEIPA" on the menu.
FriedTex
AG
Praise Be!

CDub06
AG
FriedTex said:

Haze Be!

FIFY
jah003
S
Things got a touch out of hand today...

I'm also officially an Uncle... twice.

I'd say today was a good day.
jwag
AG
Which Glarus varieties did you pick up? The berliner aphel and Flanders sours from last year were awesome.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Looks like "All of them". Nice beer run!
jah003
S
jwag said:

Which Glarus varieties did you pick up? The berliner aphel and Flanders sours from last year were awesome.
Only able to find Belgian Red, Serendipity, Raspberry Tart, and the newest thumbprint Nectar Ale. Also a **** ton of Cows and Totally Naked for the boat.
dave99ag
AG
Congrats on the beer haul and uncledom. That family has a knack for twins!
turfman80
AG
jah003 said:

Things got a touch out of hand today...

I'm also officially an Uncle... twice.

I'd say today was a good day.
Yeah, well, sometimes nothing is a real cool hand
CDub06
AG
This is a bomb brew. And freakin hefty at 9.3%. EMBRACE THE HAZE.
DallasAggie2012
AG
Weldwerks hefe on a nice patio in Estes park looking out at the mountains. Hard to beat this combo. May never go back to dfw.
Jock 07
AG
Speaking of fad beers seems as though the brut IPAs are gone like a fart in the wind. Never did try one but those seemed to be all the rage only a year or two ago
jetch17
AG

Ulrich
Jock 07 said:

Speaking of fad beers seems as though the brut IPAs are gone like a fart in the wind. Never did try one but those seemed to be all the rage only a year or two ago

I've had a couple that were delicious and a couple that came off like low-effort attempts to get another variety of IPA on the board.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I'll echo this sentiment. Have had some really nice ones, also tried some that were not up to par at all. Unfortunately if there are enough of those that aren't great, the interest in the style goes off the cliff as more people try it and go away with a poor experience. I like to think this is why that style pretty much died off, rather than people not being interested in it.
maca1028
I hammered the **** out of those at the San Luis last week.
jetch17
AG
maca1028 said:

I hammered the **** out of those at the San Luis last week.

I'm 20 mins away from pool crushing them all day at that exact locale
maca1028
jetch17
AG
Even caught the 2 fertitta toughs kicking out the homeless guy that crashed on the pool mattress last night in the lower corner - he was just there to sleep off the nights street party and start again
maca1028
I would've used a cabana.
jah003
S
91 at the lake today. Got a run in. Now time to start crushing cows.
jetch17
AG
Uh ohhhh ... I think Ive crossed double digits - finagled the F out of a cabana though ... then again I've got some leverage with it being a Tuesday and they're still flossin me on buckets

Beats the piss outta workin though
jah003
S
jetch17 said:

Uh ohhhh ... I think Ive crossed double digits - finagled the F out of a cabana though ... then again I've got some leverage with it being a Tuesday and they're still flossin me on buckets

Beats the piss outta workin though

Texaggie7nine
Apparently wife didn't realize what one of everything would entail.
7nine
Chipotlemonger
AG
Excellent mix of stuff courtesy of MattJaxson!
Ags #1
AG
This is really solid
AggieOO
Big Bend Brewing just updated their cover photos on FB and changed the name to Tejas Beer GCD.

Anyone have any idea what is going on?
AggieOO
Updated again and says "coming summer 2020."

Wondering if this will be in Alpine or in San Antonio since they changed the name....though the picture still has mountains in the background.

just saw this comment. :/

Quote:

they were acquired by Gulf Coast Distilling out of Houston. The brewery in Alpine is for sale, or was a few weeks ago.
dave99ag
AG
Beat me to it.

Yeah, I don't think this will be what we want it to be.
First Page Last Page
Page 1521 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.