Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,674,987 Views | 62646 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by Jock 07
La Fours
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Be sure to stop in Iowa on your way and load up on Toppling Goliath and Surly.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
DallasAggie2012 said:

Making a roadtrip from DFW up to Colorado Springs and then on to Estes Park this weekend. You guys have any good recommendations for breweries or food spots along the way? Also, any good hike recommendations around those areas since I know we've got a few Colorado guys on this thread.

That Spindletap One Love is pretty tasty stuff too.

https://www.oskarblues.com/beers/

https://www.lefthandbrewing.com/brewery/on-tap

I love the left hand milk stout on Nitro. It is delicious and smooth unlike co2 beers. It is also not syrupy like some dark beers.

CDub06
AG
That was some haze bro.

FriedTex
AG
I'm in Sioux Falls - so we get all of their offerings at the store. I'm a huge Toppling Goliath fan, Drekker not as much.

Sioux Falls might be the best place we lived so far (Houston, Indianapolis. Pasadena, Ca) if you don't mind a random -40 day Good local beers (Luplin, Fernsons), good restaurants, basically no traffic and our summers aren't god awful hot

Back to my HEB recommendations
FriedTex
AG
I'll add, when you drive out of the city you do wonder if you were in a colony on Mars. It's pretty barren

But the economy and how the state handled Covid make this a pretty stable place to hang your hat
CDub06
AG
FriedTex said:

I live in South Dakota and am driving down to Conroe Friday with my family (wife and three little girls) to do the grandparent world tour for a couple of weeks. My mom, being the sweet lady that she is, asked me what beer she should could pick up for me for our arrival.

So my question is: what would a Conroe HEB most likely have in stock right now that I should tell her to pick up? Northern Houstonians, help a brother out
My dude. As the local Conroe-ite, let me welcome you. You've for sure, for sure got to hit B-52. Since they've opened back up to on-site consumption, their cans and crowler selection is more restricted, but check the Cans & Bottles menu along with the Indoor Taproom menu to see what they're doing to go: https://untappd.com/v/b52-brewing-company/917260?ng_menu_id=58cdee1a-1e23-4b13-a6c1-70aed5bf4289. Really killer stuff.

Westside HEB should have Spindletap Houston Haze & Heavy Hands. Pariah Ghost in the Machine among others. Martin House Sours. Lone Pint Yellow Rose. Tons of Saint Arnold options. They've got single cans on the end cap by the frozen foods which offers some decent one-offs

As I said yesterday, I've discovered the Kroger on the South Loop actually has a better selection of craft beer now including the more limited releases from Spindletap and Jester King. You probably have Untitled Art up there, but that's exciting for us too.

Both will have a variety of Prairie Artisan Ales. Even if you don't want one of those hefty stouts now, they will hold pretty well for those -40 degree days.

Oh, and if you've got any extras from your homeland that you need to offload, let me know.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Anyone come across Lunch in D/FW?
Chipotlemonger
AG
Very cool, I liked Woodgrain downtown when I visited a couple years back and Fernson is good. Crooks and Colton are where I have some extended in law family. I like Sioux Falls a lot too.
jah003
S
Bmac04 said:

Not sure where in Minn you are going to be but Forager is putting out some great stuff right now.

We are way out in West MN, but it looks like it's about 1.5 hrs from Casanova...

"Uhh... I don't know what happened honey.... I got turned around. Damn GPS gave me the wrong directions. Guess I'm gonna be *checks watch* 5 hours late..."
jh0400
AG
Looks like we're going to Boulder for the 4th of July. Any recs for breweries between Boulder and Greeley? I'm hoping to make it to WW if I can find other things to do along the way.
DallasAggie2012
AG
I have been able to come across it at Central Market, but it was selling out pretty fast most places. It didn't seem like much came in though and I haven't seen much come in after the initial shipment or two. It should become easier to find now that people have had it once or twice.

Also, thanks to those who gave some good recs for Colorado spots. Much appreciated.
La Fours
AG
That's cool. When we were in Sioux Falls in 2017, I didn't even think to stop and look for TG and Surly. On our way back to Texas, I made a detour when we got to Sioux City and stopped at a Hy-Vee to grab Surly and TG stuff to bring back home.
GarlandAg2012
AG
DallasAggie2012 said:

I have been able to come across it at Central Market, but it was selling out pretty fast most places. It didn't seem like much came in though and I haven't seen much come in after the initial shipment or two. It should become easier to find now that people have had it once or twice.

Also, thanks to those who gave some good recs for Colorado spots. Much appreciated.
Hmm ok, thank you. I have looked every time I've gone to the Lovers CM, but haven't come across it. Hopefully they get more in soon. I have had it once before but not in quite a while.
jah003
S
Maybe I'll snag a magnum and show up like Bmac to the 2021 football bottle share...

steve00
AG
First round reviews are in. Half of the household thinks this is slight better that PtE, half thinks it is slightly worse. Either way it is an excellent beer. We will do second round of tasting tomorrow. For now, just pounding PtE.
La Fours
AG
They are allowing proxy's for pick up.
La Fours
AG
Also, is this the first year of 750ml bottles and not the 500?
Ags #1
AG

La Fours
AG
Nice dude. Is that the regular version or is it variant?
Kyle98
AG

First beer in 12 days thanks to activation for the protests and such in Houston. Luckily I emailed the brewery after I ordered and then almost immediately got the activation call, and they held my order! Finally got to pick it up today.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Anyone ever had Smog City out of Torrance? This IPA is fantastic.
jah003
S
La Fours said:

Also, is this the first year of 750ml bottles and not the 500?
Yep, they've never done 750's before. They made a **** ton this year. 5,450 bottles of 750's would be the equivalent of 8,175 500 mL bottles.
Ags #1
AG
Regualr. Best one in the last 3 years imo
Jock 07
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Anyone ever had Smog City out of Torrance? This IPA is fantastic.

Ha yup, live 2 miles from them and Monkish. They make some decent barrel aged stouts and sours as well
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Very cool. This IPA wasn't really "juicy" as described on the label. Tasted like a typical west coast to me. Still really good, though.
La Fours
AG
This showed up in my H-E-B today. It's a solid beer and actually kind of hazy. And I was reminded this evening that tomorrow will Mark 8 years I have been on Untappd.
digging tunnels
AG
Dorm buddies told me about this. Wow this is amazing!
CDub06
AG
I've got a ton of glassware, but only two brewery shirts:
B-52 & Smog City
Jock 07
AG
Well this sounds interesting:

Quote:

Today (Friday, June 12th) at Noon, we're thrilled to release our latest collaboration beer REX MACHINA -- a hazy IPA brewed with our great friends at Weldwerks Brewing Co. in Greeley, CO!

https://jesterkingbrewery.com/main-blog/introducing-rex-machina-hazy-ipa-brewed-in-collaboration-with-weldwerks-brewing-co
K Bo
AG
Damn. I wish I could get that!
Chipotlemonger
AG
A pic of the haze.

https://instagr.am/p/CBVtdusn05q
dave99ag
AG
Hmm, I'm in Boerne this weekend. Might have to make a trip for that one!

And reservations made.
jetch17
AG
Beer run Friday

dave99ag
AG
Made it to Jester. It's not super hazy, but a nice and light summer drinker.

K Bo
AG
Urban South Pineapple-Guava sour. There's also a guy here in a Manziel Browns jersey
First Page Last Page
Page 1519 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.