Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,644,729 Views | 62620 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by Chipotlemonger
dave99ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Drinking for Tuesday I am.

Quincey P. Morris
AG
Happy birthday Saint Arnold!

Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Picked up a few beers at my local beer store for a trip to the coast this weekend.

Had no idea that Bearded Iris distributes out here. This is great stuff.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Live Oak Pilz

(Edit to add: their Hefeweizen too if wheat beer is your jam)

The entire Live Oak lineup is great for being outside. I always brought Grodziskie when we floated the Colorado.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Aw damn that is a great river choice, great beer!

Speaking of Oregon, I'm having your rec, this Crux IPA is fantastic. Definitely makes me want to try more of their stuff.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Definitely. They make some fantastic river beers as well. Mostly their Pilz and their Helles. I got my boss hooked on the pilz so we generally keep the work fridge stocked with it.

We just got in a fresh shipment of Henhouse so I grabbed a few of those to down this weekend. They're quickly rising to one of my favorite breweries.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Yea RRBC gets all the notoriety out of Sonoma, but HenHouse is right up there with them in my opinion. Would be my first rec outside of RRBC for people to try.
jah003
S
Leaving for Minnesota in a few days. I convinced the wife to let me drive across the river and stockpile New Glarus. Any recommendations of new MN/WI breweries that I should be on the lookout for besides the usual suspects? Looks like the liquor store I'm visiting gets Drekker and actually Bearded Iris of all things.
jwag
AG
You should be able to pickup modern times, Goliath and the delicious Michelob golden lite while you're there.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
I can't remember who, but a poster recommended the liquor store in Hudson, Casanova. Those guys are great. Bring some JK and they'll pull some stuff out of the back to trade with you.
Last time we were there one of the guys basically walked the store with me making recs and shooting the *****
They've also got a pretty cool little beer bar right next door to try some good stuff.
jah003
S
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

I can't remember who, but a poster recommended the liquor store in Hudson, Casanova. Those guys are great. Bring some JK and they'll pull some stuff out of the back to trade with you.
Last time we were there one of the guys basically walked the store with me making recs and shooting the *****
They've also got a pretty cool little beer bar right next door to try some good stuff.

Yep. That's where I'm going. Didn't know how kosher it would be to bring beer with me but good call. I've got some Pinthouse and JK I can bring along.
jah003
S
jwag said:

You should be able to pickup modern times, Goliath and the delicious Michelob golden lite while you're there.
Think they'll have any Bush? Or Grain Belt?
jwag
AG
Possibly?!? When I last visited Minn I ate Jucy Lucy's at Matt's Bar and the golden lite was on draft. Good times.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Nice. I think we are going to plan a trip down there to check out the Windsor location. We'll have to meet up and grab a beer.
dave99ag
AG
Yes, Casanova is a legit store! If my wife ever gets to travel back up there, I need to find a way for her to drive over and buy all the things.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Good deal let me know. The Windsor location tour is good. Get a souvenir teku glass that you carry with you to get filled up on (when I did it, may be different beers sometimes not sure) STS pils, Pliny, and some of their barrel stuff. We took it on Labor Day and were the only people on the tour for our time slot, made it really personal and more memorable. Also got to try extra stuff in the back because of it!
Bmac04
AG
Not sure where in Minn you are going to be but Forager is putting out some great stuff right now.
CDub06
AG
Swung by Kroger during lunch for some groceries instead of going to HEB as usual and holy cow, they have stepped up their game! Picked up some Lunch and Spring and Spindletap One Love. They had a pretty good selection of Untitled Art as well and a couple of breweries I'm not familiar with like Octopi?

I've got some beer mail coming this week, otherwise I'd have pulled a few more things.

I've got a One Love in the work fridge right now to chill
dave99ag
AG
Which Kroger since I frequent your neck of the woods?
CDub06
AG
New Kroger on the South Loop by Torchys. The beer section isn't HUGE, but it's a pretty great variety.

My HEB on 105/West Loop used to have a REALLY great selection. It's still solid, but they pared it down quite a bit a couple of years ago when they realized that most people on the lake are good with bud light and Founders' CBS would end up on clearance.
DallasAggie2012
AG
Making a roadtrip from DFW up to Colorado Springs and then on to Estes Park this weekend. You guys have any good recommendations for breweries or food spots along the way? Also, any good hike recommendations around those areas since I know we've got a few Colorado guys on this thread.

That Spindletap One Love is pretty tasty stuff too.
steve00
AG
My guy isn't as fast as Bmac's, but he did come through for me. Never tried it before, so I'm looking forward to tomorrow when it's cold.

jetch17
AG
Sick
jh0400
AG
I really want to try Pliny for Pres, but $30 per can plus shipping is keeping me away.
wessimo
AG
steve00
AG
Understandable. FWIW I was well below that all in. Still a lot more than buying a beer at a bar though.
Bmac04
AG
Just wait. They are making a ton more of it.
Objective Aggie
AG
Merica
Jock 07
AG
DallasAggie2012 said:

Making a roadtrip from DFW up to Colorado Springs and then on to Estes Park this weekend. You guys have any good recommendations for breweries or food spots along the way? Also, any good hike recommendations around those areas since I know we've got a few Colorado guys on this thread.

That Spindletap One Love is pretty tasty stuff too.

http://cerberusbrewingco.com/ In the springs has solid beer and the food is great as well. If you go west out of the springs stop by paradox in divide. Check out the tap list at brewers republic on their website to see if there's anything interesting. They make good food as well
FriedTex
AG
Objective Aggie said:

Merica

I'm driving through Oklahoma on Friday and hitting their taphouse
FriedTex
AG
I live in South Dakota and am driving down to Conroe Friday with my family (wife and three little girls) to do the grandparent world tour for a couple of weeks. My mom, being the sweet lady that she is, asked me what beer she should could pick up for me for our arrival.

So my question is: what would a Conroe HEB most likely have in stock right now that I should tell her to pick up? Northern Houstonians, help a brother out
MavsAg
AG
Yellow Rose (lone pint) and Houston Haze (spindletap) can be found at almost all HEBs. You should also see if she's willing to stop by B-52 since it's in Conroe.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Where in SD are you at if you don't mind me asking? I've got some extended family in laws there.
AgEng06
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Where in SD are you at if you don't mind me asking? I've got some extended family in laws there.

Same here, actually.

Mine are in/around Yankton and Springfield.
La Fours
AG
Bmac04 said:

Not sure where in Minn you are going to be but Forager is putting out some great stuff right now.

BSD, Turfman and I stopped there for dinner when we did our trip to TG for Assassin and KBBS.

It was good stuff.
First Page Last Page
Page 1518 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.