Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,643,924 Views | 62617 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by swampstander
jetch17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
word
jbennett13
AG
had these last night:

Also some ROGUE - DOUBLE DEAD GUY ALE (HOMEBREW CLONE) which was ALLSOME!
AggieOO
Aquatic Pumpkin Ale

Pahdz
First time back in katy since no label opened, had 3 of their beers at the public house, not bad. Had their black widow at stadia, that was really good.
bonfirewillburn
AG
anybody try Real Ale Santos???

Just picked up a 6 pack - NO info on it besides "Hand Crafted Beer"

Any good?
duck79
AG
It's actually saint Arnold santos. It's a black kolsch.
AggieOO
i liked the santos. the second bottle was much better than the first.
bonfirewillburn
AG
got 2, real ale and the santos.....forgot which was which.... THanks!
jetch17
AG
i very much did not like the No Label Black Wit-O

had a cough syrup aftertaste, havent tried the other NL brews, but hopefully the others are better
Pahdz
I didn't get that at all, but I'll pay more attention next time.
jetch17
AG
I need to try it a second time, first go wasn't great, that's all
bonfirewillburn
AG
Santo es gud!
army01
AG
First beer today....***** Please by Floyds/Brew Dog
BSD
AG
Where did you find that ***** please?
army01
AG
I bought it in Plano at Mr. G's the day it hit Texas....good stuff.
jetch17
AG
BSD and i sampled the Rogue Voodoo's this afternoon. Many thanks to BSD & HBC for making this happen.

This is definately an acquired taste brew not meant for drinking all night. Wasnt as "doughnutty" as expected, the smokey flavor was a bit much, but was a good sipper.

I couldnt do a whole bottle of this myself, would definately recommend to break out to share with some friends to sample after dinner one night.

Again thanks for the effort it took to bring them to Houston. Spadilly & Nervy, ive got yours whenever you want to pick them up.

BSD
AG
Yeah, the Rogue Voodoo has a lot of smoke on it and wasn't as sweet as I expected but the maple did come thru in waves. After the fact, I think it would have paired better with food than a stand alone beer. The Deschutes Fresh Hop Mirror Pond Ale was a nice beer with a very floral nose but Jetch's Karbach Yule Shoot Your Eye Out was a winner. I need to get me a pint of that the next time I go out.
hbc07
AG
I'll be interested in comparing the smokeyness of the voodoo to the rauch ur bock from caldera that i had last weekend. horse brass called it one of the smokiest beers they'd ever had
OleDublinBobcat
BSD, I am on mobile until late tomorrow, but I'll be driving through houston on Sunday. I'll send you an email once I can. Thanks again for putting this together, everyone!
jetch17
AG
Picked up some of the Rogue Double Mocha Porter and the New Belgium 'lips of faith' Fresh Hop today.

Also, Houston folk looking for BrewDog Tokio, Paradox or the Mikkeller Divine Rebel Central Market have some.

Also quite a bit of Clutch left.
713nervy
AG
Gosh, I think that Houston beer selection is so much better than Dallas.
jetch17
AG
i had to pry myself out of the beer section today, too much good stuff to choose from.

Ill head back soon and get some more good stuff, i need to put a dent in the fridge stock (or just go buy a damn beer fridge for the garage)
hbc07
AG
So far today had Deschutes bone yard ipa and widmer x-114 rotator. The Boneyard was a poor breakfast beer. The flavors didn't compliment each other at all
jetch17
AG
I'm finally gonna get into some of the Clutch after dinner tonight
jetch17
AG
Feel free to jam THIS as you read the following post

Gettin into the Clutch tonight! First impression, i dig it! Not as 'sour' as some that are out there, but dark with a light brown head. Strats off slightly sour (but not overpowering) & Finishes a little chocolate-y and dark malty but rounds out smooth. They say its 80% stout/20% dark sour

i give it 3 beards of approval:

[This message has been edited by jetch17 (edited 11/26/2011 9:08p).]
BSD
BSD
AG
OleDublinBobcat, please shoot me another email if you see this! Somehow I deleted your email on my phone and it's not in the trash file so I can't call you.
OleDublinBobcat
Email sent.
BSD
AG
After a serious hangover and two different "play dates" with the 2 year old today, I decided to pop open a Russian River "Salvation" and sit by the fire pit out back. It's a nice Belgian styled dark ale with some fruit and spice on it. Very solid and just what I needed after a long day.

[This message has been edited by Bsd (edited 11/27/2011 9:11p).]
OleDublinBobcat
The current quiver:

L to R: Leinenkugel Honey Wheat, Shiner (2), Real Ale Oktoberfest (2), Sam Adams Latitude 48 IPA (2), Sam Adams Coastal Wheat (2), Sam Adams Irish Red, Kirin Ichiban, Rahr&Sons Rahr's Blonde, Widmer Brothers X-114 IPA, Brother Thelonious, Rogue Voodoo Doughnut Bacon Maple Ale (2), Session Lager (2)

Thanks again everyone who helped put the Voodoo shipment together! I got mine from BSD today and I can't wait to try it.
62strat
AG
Vegas recap:
First night, dinner/beers at the Chicago brewpub.
Got the sampler, had 9 4oz. beers.. Ended up getting just 1 pint of IPA of course. Only $2 pints One of those beers was like 15% abv

Next day, time to go shopping. Went to 'total wine', about the size of an academy sports store. 90% of it wine. Not much craft beer in the fridge section, but voila, the singles/make your own six pack aisle. Literally 80% of this stuff I've never seen in Houston.)

About 50' long X 5 shelves. Nearly every beer country represented. For reference, place was a square, and from pic to back wall is half the distance of one side.
Forgot to get a group shot of first run, and not 5 minutes after I put them all in the ice chest, someone drank one (it was a scuttlebutt ipa). I had to pass the word around, there's plenty of sierra nevada, please don't touch the weird beers!

I had two of these (didn't even realize I got 2 of something):

and this:

Can't remember the other 3. One was a corked bottle, 'antaloon' IIRC, but I can't find anything on google, another was a wheat for the woman.

Anyway, second run the next day:

All in all, not a bad beer in the lot. Lord if total wine was by house, I'd have to find a spot in my budget for beer. 2 trips, 12 beers, was $60.

3L of double basterd anyone? Just $80.

[This message has been edited by 62strat (edited 11/28/2011 9:22a).]

[This message has been edited by 62strat (edited 11/28/2011 11:07a).]
aggiespartan
AG
you had a couple Pacific Northwest beers in there
62strat
AG
yeh sho nuff. I wasn't even hardly looking at breweries.. there was so many to choose from.. just picked a few styles and grabbed at random really. Tried to stick with stuff I hadn't seen in TX as well, though I know snow day and Jubeale are here I think.
mckinneyttu97
Total wine... Dallas is getting one of these also a Trader Joes and Specs. Not sure where, but they are coming.
AggieOO
this is what's in my beer closet right now:

and i have a couple cases of dunkelweizen/oktoberfest as well.
First Page Last Page
Page 15 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.