Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,675,068 Views | 62646 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by Jock 07
BSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
BSD, I'm sooo freaking jealous! Where did you pick up a bottle?

A buddy of mine picked it up at Specs a few months ago. He already had a bottle so he gave me this one.
army01
AG
So they were selling Utopias in Texas this year? I've never seen it here. I had to buy mine online....
army01
AG
and needed to add that I am drinking a Shiner Holiday Cheer right now. A guy at Central Market talked me into buying a bottle. Fruity, but the peach is a nice change. Overall, surprisingly not bad.
jetch17
AG
army, the owner of Sam Adams Jim Koch was in town last August at the Saucer & downtown Specs where they were offering the Utopias for sale.

[This message has been edited by jetch17 (edited 11/17/2011 9:48a).]
army01
AG
Damn!

Just curious....what's the retail price on Utopias?
BSD
AG
They were around $150. They actually brought Utopias to pour and taste but I had to leave before Kock got there and missed out. Koch was at the Flying Saucer getting tanked so he was late.
army01
AG
Awesome.

Having the kiddo really limits my beer time. Haven't been to the Saucer in 3 years. Wonder if my UFO card is still valid.
BSD
AG
I have a 2.5 year old so I know your pain.
713nervy
AG
Houston Saucer better prepare thyself for this Dallas presence. December 17th weekend-put it on your calendars, you heehaws.
713nervy
AG

My boss gave me this today for being successful at my jobbyjob lately. He's a Pittsburgh beer snob. Will drink in College Station on Thursday.

[This message has been edited by 713nervy (edited 11/18/2011 4:35p).]
BSD
AG
For my Voodoo people,

Thanks to the generosity of HBC, there is a boatload of Rogue Voodoo Donut Maple Bacon Bar Ale sitting in my bar. If you were part of the group that requested a beer or two, please email me (in my profile) and we'll set something up. If anyone has interest in doing a tasting at a local bar, I'll be willing to open a bottle to share so that you can save yours for a special occasion. Once again, many thanks to HBC for going out of his way to make this happen...and to Spartan for his offer too.

helgs
AG
It was a good night last night.

aggiespartan
AG
quote:
Spartan for his offer too

spartan is a she
BSD
AG
Oh snap! My bad!
aggiespartan
AG
hbc and I are actually an item...so I offered then made him do it
713nervy
AG
Appreciated, mosdef!
Stoli7
Sweet! I will send u an email later!
armadillojackal02
AG
what we've been drinking this week:

Stone Imperial Russian Stout (one of my favorites):

Sam Adams Tasman Red IPA (beautiful looking beer, but I'm not a huge fan of this one):

Sierra Nevada Celebration (I love this beer so much it hurts):

Sam Adams Chocolate Bock (tastes different than last year's version...not as good).

Sam Adams Black & Brew Coffee Stout (pretty good)

Sam Adams Winter Lager (have to pick up a Sammy holiday 12 pack sampler once a year or it wouldn't feel right)

Deschutes Jubelale (a great beer. Deschutes has become maybe my favorite brewery...seems like I love everything they put out)

[This message has been edited by armadillojackal02 (edited 11/19/2011 6:17p).]
armadillojackal02
AG
just had a Sam Adams Vixen Chocolate Chili Bock. It's good...the chili is extremely understated and serves as a nice accent.

Furlock Bones
AG
Having my first st. Arnold Santo. Its probably not for everyone but I really like it.
army01
AG
Jealous of the Bacon. You guys enjoy....one day, I'll get me one.

AS for me, I just finished off a Midas Touch (not a huge fan - probably my least favorite DFH) and am sipping on a Bear Republic Hot Rod Rye right now.
hbc07
AG
you've heard of pliny the elder (which i've still never had)... well now be introduced to it's much more exclusive friend, don the younger, which you will never have (unless you travel to the RR brewery or the horse brass pub in PDX).

it was brewed in honor of don younger (deceased owner of horse brass and friend of many a craft brewer). quite tasty. the citrus really stood out. too bitter for spartan. i wasn't sure about the tabacco taste though, mainly because i've never tasted untarnished tobacco (i.e. not from a cig or cigar). i give it a

that picture is sideways. i drank too much to care to fix it.

[This message has been edited by hbc07 (edited 11/21/2011 1:54a).]
corndog04
AG
I wasn't crazy about Don the Younger.. it certainly wasn't bad but I couldn't find anything real distinctive about it. It is the only russian river beer I've had that I was a little disappointed in, but I've been so spoiled by their stuff that my expectations may have been a little too high.

Did they still have any Old Tavern Rat on tap? They brought some 1-year aged out for the 35th anniversary a few weeks ago. Awesome beer.

[This message has been edited by corndog04 (edited 11/21/2011 4:37a).]
62strat
AG
wait.. they have pliny the younger too right?

hbc07
AG
I've never had any other russian river beer, so it's the best one i've ever had. but i was also practicing being beer snobby with my rare beer.

[This message has been edited by hbc07 (edited 11/21/2011 9:51a).]
army01
AG
Just picked up a couple of Sailing Santa's over lunch. Looking forward to trying those this weekend.
62strat
AG
pfft..

you can make em yourself for cheaper.. you're paying extra for a different label.
713nervy
AG
Waaahhhhh look at me I have a fancy bar in my house and make beer

/jelly
jetch17
AG
Strat, been to Rockwells recently? Do they still have Karbach Yule on tap? I'd like to go by and get a growler, wondering if it's worth the trip.

I suppose I could just go and if they're out I'll get some Rodeo Clown or something tasty
BSD
AG
I saw the heads up for Don the Younger when I was in Santa Rosa last month but they were still a few weeks away from the release. I'm glad you guys (and gal) got to try it. Pliny the Younger is going to be released Feb 3rd at RRBC and it will be there for 2 weeks, no bottles, no growlers...only on draft. I'm not sure when the kegs will be distributed to the few bars that will get them.
BSD
AG

Just a reminder for those that put in orders on the Rogue Voodoo Ale: the beers are here so shoot me an email do we can set something up.

RyanC
AG
quote:
Just a reminder for those that put in orders on the Rogue Voodoo Ale: the beers are here so shoot me an email do we can set something up.

Just emailed you.
AggieOO
email on the way.
jetch17
AG
OO, not gonna make it to CS for the game, otherwise I'd bring it up. I can hold yours if you plan on making it to Houston anytime soon
AggieOO
i'm not going to the game either.

shouldn't be a problem to get it from him. i'm going to be in houston for about a week in jan for work.
First Page Last Page
Page 14 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.