Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,642,590 Views | 62609 Replies | Last: 14 hrs ago by SoTxAg
La Fours
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Living in College Station, most west coast beers are 60+ days old by the time they hit shelves here. It is what it is and when I'm wanting a west coast ipa, I'll grab it so long as it's not super old. Now on occasion, we get some stuff that's 2 weeks to a month old. But when it's 6+ months old I'm going to probably pass. Hell, I've seen firestone walker Union Jack that was more than a year old at one of the H-E-Bs here.
62strat
AG
wessimo said:

Uh oh. Possible CO2 shortage. So help me if I have to get through the rest of this pandemic without beer.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/beer-may-lose-its-fizz-as-co2-supplies-go-flat-during-pandemic
I've got 45 lbs worth of tanks at home for my keezer... better fill them all up!
jetch17
AG
Think I'm gonna peel up to Spindletap in a bit for the Candy Green & Chin Music DIPA releases
Chipotlemonger
AG
You're in SoCal correct? Or did you move, can't remember. What about Alpine Duet? Or maybe Deschutes Fresh Squeezed?

I get what you mean though. I love a classic West Coast IPA and they're more difficult to find nowadays. Fortunately some breweries still make them, but a lot of the best ones I've had have been on tap at the brewery itself or a beer bar, and they may not be regular offerings.
jetch17
AG
Hazy Saturday with dat canny paint, talmbout?

Chipotlemonger
AG
Big Bend Brewing, pour one out
wessimo
AG
Truth. That was such a great place to grab a beer during a BB trip.
jetch17
AG
Giving the other a whirl ... I'm kind of convinced the ST special release hazies are all the same, but they do it well so I'm not complaining. And I'm sure as sh*t not complaining about day drinking, particularly as the neighbors have now decreed impromptu crawfish boil on their driveway for the afternoon

Gator_2
AG
Just picked this up from Baa Baa Brewhouse in Brookshire. Great Hazy IPAs and sours.

Easy come, easy go
dave99ag
AG
I have two bottles remaining and a sign when they were liquidating merch the last day they were open. Think I'll have to open one of these when I can get back out to our place in Alpine.
steve00
AG
I was in SoCal before, but now DC for the last year. I love me some Alpine Duet. When I placed my order with Bine & Vine a few months ago they were sold out. Did get some Nelson though. Drinking a Kern River Just Outstanding and then probably a El Segundo Mayberry.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Kern River has some great stuff. I took advantage of recent regulations getting cut to order some beer from out of state that I could only get from travel or trading. But it's cool to see how many California breweries are shipping right now too.
wessimo
AG

Very tasty Galaxy DIPA. Thanks again for making this happen NCol! I need to make a trip up there so I can bring back a carload.
CDub06
AG
IHIOGA that B52 is doing a couple of surprise releases on Monday for 4/20 including a pizza beer (think Italian Michelada) and a pineapple upside down cake inspired beer.
reesei10
It has been a while. Good Beer!
K Bo
AG
Had a Baa Code last night (fantastic) and have a Wool St and Golden Fleece in the fridge. Digging Baa right now.
jetch17
AG
Shout out to Hughies in Tine for the 'Etch'ed 32oz RTIC crowler gift - filled it with no label sittin sidehaze (meh)

ChipFTAC01
AG
If you haven't had it, Odells Mountain Standard ipa is really really solid. Not sure how long it's around but I'd like that to be pretty high on ym summer rotation
Jock 07
AG
found a couple interesting things today that I wasn't expecting out west here while I was running around town today.

Chipotlemonger
AG
Opened a wax sealed bomber, a rum barrel aged Baltic porter. A few things.

- wax seals suck and I hope they die off in usage
- have any of y'all ever had legit rust in or around the beer cap?

Weirdest thing happened tonight. It's a bomber and I was going to use a champagne bottle stopper to have some tonight and save some for tomorrow. Tried putting the stopper on and realized I needed to take off all of the dang wax for it to be able to hold its clamp right. Took all the wax off and sat the stopper down.

After finishing with the wax, noticed the stopper had a puddle of a rusty metallic liquid underneath. Now, I figured it was from maybe the internal back part of the stopper, and maybe just a crummy design to have that happen. But still weird IMO. Cleaned up mess and thought I'd be fine if I rinsed that sucker in and out and used it, since just the plastic part goes into the bottle and seemed just fine.

Poured beer into my glass, put the clean stopper on the bomber, and put the bomber in the fridge. Take the beer to the other room, and I get a metallic taste in the beer! The way the stopper is designed, I highly highly doubt I got it into the beer from the stopper itself....I would have definitely noticed it.

Anyone have something like this happen? Did I inadvertently introduce a small bit of the metallic liquid into the rim area of the beer and consequently get that flavor in my beer, or did the beer cap itself already put some of that metallic rust off? Is this a dumb question?

The stopper is not that old and it hasn't given me any sign of freaking rust or rust puddles forming in it, we only ever hand wash it and don't just dump water into it.
steve00
AG
OK. I'm not seeing a lot of other responses as to what local west coast style IPAs are better than Sculpin. I am intrigued by your Great Heights Denali suggestion, so I have an offer. Send me a six pack of this beer. Throw in some Yellow Rose if you can, because that stuff is really good, or don't if you can't get it easily. Then I will send you a box back. My box will be dependant on how much I like the Denali (and whether there is fresh Yellow Rose). If I think it is as good or better than Sculpin, then I'll send back a crazy box. If I don't think it is as good as Sculpin, then I'll still send a very good box. If you need someone to vouch for me, I think there are a few people on this thread that confirm I can come through with some good beers. Let me know. We can work out the details on PM.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Hey what about my Alpine Duet suggestion!

Joking. Wessimo I will vouch for steve00 on this.
steve00
AG
If you can get Duet I'll take 6-12 of them. I just placed another Bine & Vine order yesterday and they had no Alpine in stock.
wessimo
AG
Sounds good to me. Great Heights is sold out of Denali at the moment; they have slowed operations a bit and have been choosing one or two beers a week to put in cans. When Denali is available again I'll PM you.
MavsAg
AG
I'm getting a little worried about Great Heights. They have had a really limited selection the past couple weeks and as you mentioned, are closed a couple days a week now. Hope they make it through this. Such a great neighborhood brewery.
maca1028
Made any trips to toronado lately? They posted a few days back that they had cable car for curbside.
steve00
AG
Not in the past year. I was out west last month, but just LA and Vegas. Haven't been to SF or SD in some time.

I might have one Cable Car left in my wine fridge though.
maca1028
Gotcha, sorry I thought you were in SD.
steve00
AG
Used to be. DC now.
Jock 07
AG
Didn't tornado SD shutdown for good when the Kung flu hit? Hope I'm wrong cause I'm planning a few trips down there this summer after everything settles down
Jock 07
AG
bringing the WT driveway/parking lot sitting to my socal townhome
jah003
S
About to throw some Filet's on the grill...
CDub06
AG
Y'all got any guilty pleasures?

Working through a Shiner "Brewery Tour" Six Pack and came across my first Ruby Redbird in Quite a while. Man, I could crush those things all day if the situation called for it.
Objective Aggie
AG
CDub06 said:

Working through a Shiner "Brewery Tour" Six Pack and came across my first Ruby Redbird in Quite a while. Man, I could crush those things all day if the situation called for it.
Those things are like Capri-Suns
La Fours
AG
CDub06 said:

That was my original guilty pleasure beer 6-7 years ago.
First Page Last Page
Page 1498 of 1789

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.