Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,676,237 Views | 62648 Replies | Last: 15 min ago by Jock 07
maca1028
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ranger #007 said:

Spoken like a true Astros fan

Take it to the regular season...I mean offseason thread.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
maca1028 said:

Ranger #007 said:

Spoken like a true Astros fan

Take it to the regular season...I mean offseason thread.

It's just all so damned depressing.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Neighbor texted me last night that he'd intentionally scheduled a trip to his office to have a reason to swing by Spindle tap (only about 15 miles out of his way) on his way back to the house. He had a 64 oz growler of Hirsch Rd hop heads that we got into with a few other neighbors (sufficiently distanced around a table).

Then we all got into a few other random crowlers and cans we all had. Had a peanut butter stout from some brewery jn LA that was the first PB Stout I'd ever had that didn't just overwhelm you with PB. Alas, the label on the crowlers was smudged so I can't figure out what it was.
wessimo
AG
Houston box made it, thanks NCol!

I now have a box to recycle so if anybody wants some Houston beer hmu.
dave99ag
AG
WeldWerks for College Station has arrived. I have a new appreciation for packaging skills. Thanks, NoCo!
NColoradoAG
dave99ag said:

WeldWerks for College Station has arrived. I have a new appreciation for packaging skills. Thanks, NoCo!

That was the first time Id bubble wrapped the 2 and 4 packs together. Glad it worked out well.
dave99ag
AG
The saran-wrap worked really well!
NColoradoAG
dave99ag said:

The saran-wrap worked really well!
I use this stuff. Super easy to use.

Objective Aggie
AG
NColoradoAG said:

dave99ag said:

That was the first time Id bubble wrapped the 2 and 4 packs together. Glad it worked out well.
I feel I missed out.
NColoradoAG
Objective Aggie said:

NColoradoAG said:

dave99ag said:

I feel I missed out.
Maybe my motivation to send beer will improve. I love to share the stuff we make at WeldWerks, but I really hate packing and shipping beer.

I will say, if you haven't signed up at Tavour, you should....
CDub06
AG
Any pictures of the packaging job? I'm curious
dave99ag
AG
Sadly no, but it went something like this from the outside inward:

Layer 1: Box
Layer 2: trashbag
Layer 3: Packing Paper wrapped around two 4-packs
Layer 4: Saran-wrap wrapped around bubble wrap
Layer 5: Beer

Just all-around solid shipping. I usually just bubble wrap, but think saran-wrap is a good alternative to tape.
CDub06
AG
And like clockwork, a Weldwerks beer appears on Tavour.
NColoradoAG
CDub06 said:

I still pack almost identically to the way I posted on page 179. This round I did keep 2 and 4 packs in their holders and just wrapped the whole thing up.
Jock 07
AG
Not working out or moving around enough while digging into the cellar is probably a recipe for disaster but **** it
maca1028
NColoradoAG said:

CDub06 said:

I still pack almost identically to the way I posted on page 179. This round I did keep 2 and 4 packs in their holders and just wrapped the whole thing up.

I've had many compliments over the last few years because of pg179.
dave99ag
AG
To save on the searching: https://texags.com/forums/67/topics/1930360/replies/34902570
Chipotlemonger
AG
Jock 07 said:

Truly one of the best ipas on the market IMO

Wow look at this blast from the past. That label!
dave99ag
AG
Seven years ago Ballast Point was all the rage. When was the last time you had one?
Wheatables02
AG
dave99ag said:

Seven years ago Ballast Point was all the rage. When was the last time you had one?
High Aged West Victory at Sea every year! That's it.
Jock 07
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Jock 07 said:

Truly one of the best ipas on the market IMO

Wow look at this blast from the past. That label!

Haha, so much has changed. I remember going down to the brewery in San Diego, I think they've since moved, and really digging their stuff. I tell myself that the quality Has changed significantly since those early days but I'm not sure if it's that or my palate has changed. Yea I never buy any ballast point stuff anymore really. I used to be a huge firestone walker barrelworks fan boy as well but it seems since about the time they went to the smaller bottle format for their barrel aged stuff the quality has dropped off as well. I still dig their funky stuff though.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Ballast Point has been noticeably less available since that small brewery bought them from Constellation. I haven't seen anything more since that acquisition. I wonder if they're contracting.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Haven't had any Ballast Point in a long time.

Side note, ABW has great social media.

jgh85Ag
AG
Picked up 2 16oz crowlers of Martin House Vanilla Acheron today.

If you are in San Antonio, The Growler Exchange has a new 16oz crowler machine. They are also getting an adapter that will let them do 12 oz cans.
On step 12 of 22 step BAS Anonymous program. Please donate, the struggle is real.
FriedTex
AG
Still living the triple IPA life.... heaven help me
steve00
AG
This concerns me, as Sculpin has always been readily available where I am at and serves as my basic fridge beer. It was always my beach beer and my paddle-boarding beer. I like to have some in the fridge for when I want one more beer than I should have, but I don't want to feel guilty about wasting something fancy when I should really be going to bed.

I haven't bought beer at the grocery store in two months, so everything could be completely different now. I'm almost done with my crazy IPA stash, so I'm going to have to start thinking about ordering stuff in a few days. I would not have thought that Sculpin would be hard to get.
wessimo
AG
Sculpin is good but local breweries caught up so paying $15-$16 a six pack for it hasn't made sense for a few years now.
La Fours
AG
wessimo said:

Sculpin is good but local breweries caught up so paying $15-$16 a six pack for it hasn't made sense for a few years now.

This is my take as well. Plus here in BCS it's tough to get decently fresh cans.
jah003
S
Wife and I have plowed through about 20 Marvel movies in a month... tonight... End Game and this.

62strat
AG
had a Firestone walker 'old man hatten' tonight.. man that was good as hell.

" This inaugural Proprietor's Vintage release features a blend of five notable Firestone Walker beers, including select lots of Parabola and Helldorado aged in cherry, orange and aromatic bitters barrels.

The result is a barnstorming beer that exhibits pronounced whiskey notes while artfully expressing essences of both the Old Fashioned and the Manhattan cocktails."
steve00
AG
That is a fair critique in many cases. I have two reasons that it doesn't work for me.

1. 95% of the local breweries near me specialize in hazy IPAs. The others make traditional east coast IPAs. I like both styles sometimes, but prefer west coast IPAs.

2. I can't think of the last time I considered price as a factor when choosing a beer. It is just a grocery item to me and I don't care how much milk or steaks cost either. It costs $110 for me to get 12 bottles of Maine Lunch at Whole Foods, but I'd never not get all the bottles they have if they were on the shelf.

Follow up question since you said local breweries have caught up - what is everyone's list of local (to you) west coast style IPAs that are as good or better than Sculpin? Cost is not a factor. No hazy, No east coast - just straight up, crisp, clear single IPAs. I'd expect the Houston people to list Yellow Rose, and I would agree with that, but I can't think of any others I have had from TX in the past year that fit the bill.
wessimo
AG
Yellow Rose of course.

Neighborhood IPA - Great Heights Denali.

Saint Arnold's Art Car is a pretty solid IPA to keep in the fridge.
K Bo
AG
Loooove me some Denali
wessimo
AG
Uh oh. Possible CO2 shortage. So help me if I have to get through the rest of this pandemic without beer.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/beer-may-lose-its-fizz-as-co2-supplies-go-flat-during-pandemic
La Fours
AG
wessimo said:

Uh oh. Possible CO2 shortage. So help me if I have to get through the rest of this pandemic without beer.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/beer-may-lose-its-fizz-as-co2-supplies-go-flat-during-pandemic

Come on people. We all have to do our part and exhale more. Time to step up.

First Page Last Page
Page 1497 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.