Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,676,003 Views | 62647 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by maca1028
BSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just let me happy, Strat.

BSD
AG
And I've had 5 of those 7 (including the Westy)...all are good. I doubt Westy should be $85/sixer but I do get 2 glasses. And that makes all the difference.
txaggie02
AG
I've got two bottles of Pumpkinator in Katy if anybody is interested. $20 takes both.
NColoradoAG
The Colorado releases of Westy 12 have been crazy so far. Not quite as nuts as the Cantillon shipments two weeks ago, but close. The Boulder release had a line of almost 100 people around 8am. They only had 36 bricks. Argonaut in downtown shut down a lottery list. And the Fort Collins release is Friday. I expect there to be 36 people in line by 7am.

I'm glad that I don't like the beer all that much, and I'm not a total dick who'd go buy one just to trade.. It's the best Trappist I've ever had, but I just don't like the style that much. Orval is pretty good for me and always available. I usually throw a Westy in my orders from Belgium since it usually rounds out a kilo of shipping weight.
BSD
AG
eBay is already blowing up with $300+ bricks. It's expected but it still sucks.
62strat
AG
Damn. It's like saint Arnold DR releases on a global scale! I guess I'm not big enough fan of the style to get involved. I love tripels but actually kind of prefer the US variety. Ommegang, new belgium, boulevard. I do like St Bernardus and Affligem though.

On another note, with two groupons I got a bomber of stone cali-belgique, a 750mL of kahlua and a 750mL of baileys, the baileys coming with two coffee mugs in a gift pack, all for the low price of........

$24

Had my first of many Caucasians tonight. Such a great winter drink.
Madmire
quote:
I also have a few 2010's aging. Only a few more months to go.

Once had a chance to buy this before I got heavily into beer and passed. I still think about that and mourn a bit every time I see it mentioned. Never have tried it.
BSD
AG
quote:
Damn. It's like saint Arnold DR releases on a global scale!

Except that St Arnold's sucks *******. This stuff is actually good!
army01
AG
Beers from the last few nights:

62strat
AG
yeh at least this mad rush is justified. S.A. is alllll hype.
streetfighter2012
AG
I had Buff Bayous gingerbread stout last night. Everything I've had from them has been solid.
62strat
AG
Interesting write up on 'Craft vs. Crafty' by the BA.
http://www.brewersassociation.org/pages/media/press-releases/show?title=craft-vs-crafty-a-statement-from-the-brewers-association

To sum up:
"The large, multinational brewers appear to be deliberately attempting to blur the lines between their crafty, craft-like beers and true craft beers from today's small and independent brewers. We call for transparency in brand ownership and for information to be clearly presented in a way that allows beer drinkers to make an informed choice about who brewed the beer they are drinking."

and the handy list that exposes all the craft beer ninjas out there..
http://www.brewersassociation.org/attachments/0001/0433/BA_List_Domestic_Non-Craft_Brewers.pdf
mckinneyttu97
"Once had a chance to buy this before I got heavily into beer and passed. I still think about that and mourn a bit every time I see it mentioned. Never have tried it. "

Dont worry you will get another chance. Actually I am not that impressed with it. I know I will get beat up over that comment, but sorry. Not that exciting to me.
army01
AG
quote:
"The large, multinational brewers appear to be deliberately attempting to blur the lines between their crafty, craft-like beers and true craft beers from today's small and independent brewers. We call for transparency in brand ownership and for information to be clearly presented in a way that allows beer drinkers to make an informed choice about who brewed the beer they are drinking."

There is a film out there that addresses this...it is a little bothersome, because AB can put out a pumpkin flavored beer for $7 a sixer and DFH charges $11 for a 4 pack. Joe Shmo walks by and decides he wants to try one of these -- he more than likely is going to pick up the cheaper "craft" beer.

I realize that this is capitalism, but it isn't pure....these are not like products, though AB and MC would have you believe they are.

Overall, I think the craft beer scene is growing and people are becoming much more aware of what they are drinking. If it wasn't, The big boys wouldn't waste their time trying to emmulate the little guy.
62strat
AG
yeh with wealth of knowledge online/wiki, it's easy to find out if a beer is a 'fake'. They may fool you once, but that might be the end of it.
And the common craft beer drinker/buyer now knows the typical price range/difference of real craft vs. macro lagers, and also knows that price generally reflects quality (or scarceness), so when juxtaposing those two pumpkins in your scenario, more and more buyers are not being fooled anymore.
Just know, a good, honest craft beer rarely gets down to that $6-ish mark for a 6 pack; which is the price of a sixer of a macro lager.

What doc are you talking about? I've seen beer wars.. similar idea.

[This message has been edited by 62strat (edited 12/13/2012 3:14p).]
La Fours
AG
Army01 - I grabbed the last bottle of Lucky Basssturd the Specs here in CS had yesterday for you if you still want it.

Also got Stone Verticle Epic and a 16th anniversary.
Geralt of Rivia
S
Army01 - where did you find the bottle of Great Divide Hibernation? I have been trying to locate that for a couple of weeks
khkman22
AG
Army01, if it's the movie I'm thinking it is, it's the documentary Beer Wars. Watched it and it made me want to forever boycott AB. Now I have to do some extra research to see which of these "craft" beers are actually AB. For those with Netflix or Amazon Prime, you can watch it on there.
duck79
AG
I love craft beer and my company sells a ton of the craft beers mentioned in this thread but we are also an AB distributor and at the end of the day AB is "what has built our office". With that being said, it is amazing to be on the inside and see AB's change in attitude and outlook on craft over the past 4 years. It has gone from "a fad that will pass" to legitimate concern and reaction on products that are produced. The difference between MC and AB is that AB will put their name on everything and doesn't believe that they should have to pull their name for a product to skyrocket ala blue moon and coors light. You will continue to see many craft overtures by AB(Goose Island and Shock Top extensions to name 2) but each of those will have the AB logo on it while Third Shift and Blue Moon extensions will not. The whole pricing infrastructure will also start to immulate the market and there will be less gaps as well. Just a little insight from somebody who deals with that battle each and every day.

The worry on the craft side is that they will start to cannibalize each other. Craft beer drinkers are not loyal(I know I'm not) and at some point there won't be room on the shelves or on the tap wall so good breweries may not want to expand to areas for fear of not selling enough to cover expenses. Just because something is local doesn't mean it's better than a dogfish, stone, Chimay or brooklyn(to throw a couple out there).

[This message has been edited by Duck79 (edited 12/15/2012 9:54a).]
DaveHimself
AG
I had a Third Shift amber a few nights ago (Wifey bought it, didn't realize it was coors until I opened it and was reading the bottle). I couldn't finish it and it is rare I pour a beer out. Not happy I was" tricked"
BSD
AG
**** AB.

Signed,
A loyal craft beer drinker
duck79
AG
BSD when I say loyal I mean you don't drink a single craft brand. You sit at a bar and try different beers or buy different beers when you go to the store. This thread is a perfect example of that. I didn't mean loyal in the sense that you only drink craft beer and not any "premiums". Just wanted to make sure I was clear on that.

Heck all I do is drink either the new products or switch between whether I feel like a big beer or a sessionable beer.

[This message has been edited by Duck79 (edited 12/15/2012 1:18p).]
army01
AG
La Fours - jetch was looking at picking one up for me, so I think I'm good, but I really appreciate it.

TLU - I found the Hibernation at Total Wine in Fort Woth, but I've also seen it at Central Market. I'll see if they still have it this afternoon.

I think to flick was Beer Wars....pretty interesting show if you haven't seen it.
La Fours
AG
Sounds good Army.

I'm pretty excited. I have a shipment of Terrapin on its way to me right now. My friend flew in yesterday to Houston and I'll see her in a couple of days.
NColoradoAG
Hopefully she's bringing some wake n bake. I love that stuff
army01
AG
Celebrating the last night of Chanukah....

The color is deep walnut and the cinnamon hits the nose, followed ever so softly with a hint of nutmeg, with a bite if ginger. Like taking a bite of a fresh ginger bread cookie mom just pulled from the oven....nah, just ****ing with you, aggiechris06.

It's a decent beer though, and at 9%, it packs a punch. Better than I expected.
army01
AG
DDDP

[This message has been edited by Army01 (edited 12/16/2012 8:34a).]
aggiechris06
AG
Hey army that sounded pretty good and like the start of some of the BS I would write..ever considered working for the J Peterman Beer Review Corporation...you just need about 400% more adjectives...

On a serious note, is that beer any good?? Saw it and wasn't sure I could take it seriously...
DaveHimself
AG
Army, I finally hit up Total Wine yesterday and WOW I am impressed with their selection. Cheapest prices in town too. Unfortunately they didn't have the one beer I was going after (mint chocolate stout) but I still left with a good haul.
aggiechris06
AG
Need to get some input from the experts!

I have a few bombers in my fridge and want to crack one open for a special treat while watching the Survivor Finale tonight...kinda lame I know, but still, any input would be much appreciated.

The list isn't nearly anything remotely close to some I have seen on here (ie BSD), but heres what I have

Delirium Noel
Koningshoeven Bock
Pelican Bad Santa
Pelican Mother of All Storms
Adelberts Black Rhino
Stone Double *******
Clown Shoes Hoppy Feet 1.5
He'brew Jewbelation Sweet 16 (16th anniversary ale, 16%abv...wow)

Thoughts?? Or other suggestions/reasons to pick up something else??
BSD
AG
Other than delirium, I'm not familiar with those but I suggest you drink all of them and get tasting notes written before you pass out!
BSD
AG
For the Houston folk: Petrol is having a bottle share on December 23rd at 4:00pm. Go big or go home is my motto on this one.
NColoradoAG
Chris06, Go with the Mother of All Storms. What year is it? I had a 2010 the other night and it was divine. That's one of the best barrel aged beers ever, IMO

[This message has been edited by NColoradoAG (edited 12/16/2012 11:51a).]
streetfighter2012
AG
Petrol is also having an end of the world party on Friday. Fin Du Monde, and Enjoy By 12-21. Buy the beer and keep the glass.
army01
AG
Chris - it wasn't too bad. Much better than expected....

Dave - it is by far the best store in Fort Worth. Love being able build my own 6 pack. As for the mint chocolate, I wish I could find another bottle of that one. That was a fantastic beer. It, along with Racer X, GDBC 18th Anniversary, and the Uncle Jacob's Stout are my 2012 Mount Rushmore of beers....
First Page Last Page
Page 147 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.