Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,568,335 Views | 62489 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by La Fours
wessimo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is this going to be $15 like bodacious was?
wessimo
AG
Even if so, still a bargain compared to the $10 BB1
jetch17
AG
yep, same as Bodacious... $14

BSD
AG
Just saw the HEB email. It's probably too late at this point. Oh well.
WorkBoots09
AG
For my Christmas gift to myself, I rounded out my glass collection and picked up a Rahr Pecker Wrecker and Regulator. Will try later on this week. What do y'all think of those two?
jetch17
AG
quote:
Just saw the HEB email. It's probably too late at this point

saw it as i was coming back form lunch so ducked in and picked one up. i tried for 2 but the guy was being a dewshchill.
jetch17
AG
BSD it looked like they had about 12 left in the drawer. They also still had a sh*t-ton of Lucky Basterd left if anyone was looking for it.
jh0400
AG
I got to the midtown Spec's around 12:30, and they were already out. Who the **** has time to go to the liquor store at 10 am on a Monday anyway?
62strat
AG
So I see a lot has changed in Houston.
It used be: everybody wants the same shit, and that shit is made by 1 brewery and in limited quantities.

Now it's: everybody wants the same shit, and that shit is made by 2 breweries and in limited quantities.

TxKng82
AG
My Specs(CypressRosehill) hasn't got it yet but supposed to recieve it this week. Really want to try this one.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Just saw a guy walking around Kroger with an entire case of Icon and a smirk on his face. He really thought he was doing it big.
jetch17
AG
ICON is 'supposed' to be widely available, I'll give it a whirl if i come across it ... Prolly on tap someplace
62strat
AG
Variety is the spice of life right?

Got some TX friends coming up for a week during new years, us 4 drink A LOT

All possible with several groupons and living social deals... Had to do it over about 5-6 trips. I lost count, but I think total price was about $220-$240, I spent about $140.

Bad news for my wallet is I still have 3 coupons left! Gotta get some hard liquor.

4 mix packs: New belgium, left hand, tommy knockers, and Boulevard (not enough room in picture) 2 upslope christmas pint singles and bomber list L to R:
Kasteel Belgian Tripel
DFH 75 Min IPA
Firestone Wookey Jack Black Rye IPA
Rogue Dead Guy Maibock
Avery Reverend Quadruple
Bristol Tripel 2X
Anchor Christmas/NYE beer, 50oz.
triple bomber Ommegang gift pack (Chocolate Indulgence Stout, Hennepin Saison, Three Philosophers Quadrupel)
Avery Salvation Belgian Pale
Marble Imperial Red
New Belgium Lips Imperial chocolate coffee stout 2X
Corsendonk Agnus Belgian Abbey Dubbbel

Now I just have to not drink it all before 12/27!

[This message has been edited by 62strat (edited 12/10/2012 6:38p).]
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
quote:
ICON is 'supposed' to be widely available, I'll give it a whirl if i come across it ... Prolly on tap someplace

That's what I read too. I just think some people see "new" and "Saint Arnold" and they automatically take an early lunch. Not really a fan of Belgian beers either way, but it was just funny to see people go nuts over it.
army01
AG
quote:
BSD it looked like they had about 12 left in the drawer. They also still had a sh*t-ton of Lucky Basterd left if anyone was looking for it.

Son of a *****...i can't find an lukcy basterd in FW...i think the CM people hoard it all for themselves and Kings never gets enough in...
army01
AG
I did finally pick up a saison du buff and a small batch 3...trusting the saison to be as good as some of you say, and hoping SB3 is better than nasty ass SB2.
jetch17
AG
Army, you want some Lucky? I can swing by and get some this week
La Fours
AG
If jetch can't, I will look for some here. There was still several bottles at our specs Friday.
BowSowy
AG
Fra-Gee-Lay is alright. I wasn't a fan of Yule, so I'm not surprised I wasn't a fan of this.
AggieOO
Opened a bottle of Renaissance Cowboy (Scotch Ale) from Texas Big Beer Brewery. The taste is FANTASTIC, but the carbonation is really low, almost flat.
WorkBoots09
AG
Army, there were a few lukcy's at the whole foods by Jerryworld in Arlington this weekend. I only bought one, so don't blame me of they're out!

Anyone know what page someone discussed the Rahr regulator or pecker wrecker on?

[This message has been edited by WorkBoots09 (edited 12/10/2012 10:13p).]
ChopThemHorns

Pretty good stuff...not as good as Bishops Barrel 1. Specs in Sugar Land off Hwy 6 had 3 cases at 1pm today. 14 each

HEB will be getting Icon next week. The Specs in Sugar Land will also have Icon tomorrow around 4pm

Class of '09
A WHOOP
62strat
AG
quote:
Opened a bottle of Renaissance Cowboy (Scotch Ale) from Texas Big Beer Brewery. The taste is FANTASTIC, but the carbonation is really low, almost flat.
a scotch ale made to BJCP guidelines should be low to moderate carbonation.
AggieOO
This was beyond low. It was almost flat, not low carbonation.
aggiechris06
AG
Had the Icon Red at Saucer on downtown Houston last night...great stuff friends...here was my quick review from the notes I made while enjoying it.

"This...is...glorious. Soft phenols hit the nose with clove and banana as the drinker ponders over the amber golden hue and effervescent tan head. The taste hits right where the nose indicated, with a sweetness of roasted sugar or almost marshmallow and definite banana that floats along the gustatory plains, touching down to tiptoe on the tongue in between joyous leaps. As the initial waves roll along, the sea of sweetness parts to welcome in a just beyond subtle bitterness that just juxtaposes itself to rather than contradicting the Belgian dessert flavors...a coat of pine with a marbling and a sprinkle or two of smoke for the pale ale lover that is the tongue's caudal end. Quite nicely, the sweet combination of the malts/Belgian yeast and the lovely hop counterpoint both linger just enough and just about as much as the lace on the glass. Icon fits this beer well...and Red sets the bar high for its future colorful successors. 4.5/5 stars for Saint Arnolds Icon Red Belgian Pale Ale."
62strat
AG
quote:
The taste hits right where the nose indicated, with a sweetness of roasted sugar or almost marshmallow and definite banana that floats along the gustatory plains, touching down to tiptoe on the tongue in between joyous leaps. As the initial waves roll along, the sea of sweetness parts to welcome in a just beyond subtle bitterness that just juxtaposes itself to rather than contradicting the Belgian dessert flavors...a coat of pine with a marbling and a sprinkle or two of smoke for the pale ale lover that is the tongue's caudal end.

Really?
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
quote:
"This...is...glorious. Soft phenols hit the nose with clove and banana as the drinker ponders over the amber golden hue and effervescent tan head. The taste hits right where the nose indicated, with a sweetness of roasted sugar or almost marshmallow and definite banana that floats along the gustatory plains, touching down to tiptoe on the tongue in between joyous leaps. As the initial waves roll along, the sea of sweetness parts to welcome in a just beyond subtle bitterness that just juxtaposes itself to rather than contradicting the Belgian dessert flavors...a coat of pine with a marbling and a sprinkle or two of smoke for the pale ale lover that is the tongue's caudal end. Quite nicely, the sweet combination of the malts/Belgian yeast and the lovely hop counterpoint both linger just enough and just about as much as the lace on the glass. Icon fits this beer well...and Red sets the bar high for its future colorful successors. 4.5/5 stars for Saint Arnolds Icon Red Belgian Pale Ale."

lols.
streetfighter2012
AG
When did St. Arnold hire J. Peterman?

"It will always be Burma to me"
Geralt of Rivia
S
I can't exactly post pictures yet, but I have recently tried the Sweetwater Festive Ale, and that was really good. I just wish I could find it here in Texas (I got it in Alabama, and it is made in Atlanta).

Basically everything from the Sweetwater brewery that I have tried, I have liked. (Motorboat, IPA, 420 IPA, LowRYEder)
jetch17
AG
quote:
When did St. Arnold hire J. Peterman?

youre an errand boy sent to collect a bill.....
aggiechris06
AG
quote:
When did St. Arnold hire J. Peterman

Yeah yeah...make fun...it was apparently good enough for SA to post on their facebook page as a "work of literary art"...lol

Whatever...appreciate the good-natured ribbing...

Bottom line, this beer is tasty!
wessimo
AG
wait, that wasn't meant to be a joke?
BowSowy
AG
I'd suggest a good lay if you are getting that excited about a St. A beer.
BSD
AG
just scored a brick of Westy 12, life is good.
62strat
AG
yeh wish they just sold singles.. I don't know that I want 6 of em.

Is it really perceptibly better than a tripel offering from one of the other 6? (actually, 7 others now, with the recent inclusion of Austrian Engelszell Abbey to the list)

Guess you'll have to let us know!

[This message has been edited by 62strat (edited 12/12/2012 10:36a).]
First Page Last Page
Page 146 of 1786

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.